Jump to content
holobebe

Best Mesh Head for realistic reactions?

Recommended Posts

Hey! 

So I recently joined Second life about two weeks ago after a friend showed me a mountain of gorgeous photos on flickr. I was a bit surprised since the few videos I have seen of Second life kinda made it look like a lame and outdated place, but I regret only now giving it a try and seeing for myself.  I can safely say that I'm really enjoying myself.

So I already understand how the whole mesh thing works and how you need to buy separate pieces in order to make an actual attractive looking avatar (at least in my eyes).

I know there are a lot of different heads out there but I want one that will give me both a realistic look as well as realistic facial movements or reactions. I rather not have a head that gives me that "dead" stare and stuff. Also, it would be great if the mesh head is one of the more popular ones since I would love to both customize it and still have a lot of stuff that I can buy for it. 

Thanks so much! 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say try demos and see how they react for you..

Some popular ones are

GenusProject

Catwa

Lelutka

LOGO

LAQ

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Normie" by Utilizator at Annie May Hall is a very good entry level head with a much lower price (500L) compared to any competitors, has Bento/built-in Omega support, expressions, and it's modifiable in case you want to manually change something.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Ceka said: demo - demo - demo :)

”Sad” thing is ( for me at least...) that there is no perfect head when it comes to expressions - Catwa have the cutest smiles, Lelutka have beautiful head movements and expressive eyes etc...

So I demo’ed until I found the best compromise for my liking and went with that :D

In addition to the brands Ceka mentioned, I would also give Akeruka a go - have a friend with one of those and she’s drop dead gorgeous :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I would say try demos and see how they react for you..

Some popular ones are

GenusProject

Catwa

Lelutka

LOGO

LAQ

 

 

Out of all those heads which do you think has the best and most realistic look? Oh and I guess I should give you an example of kinda what I want:

That picture made me want to try second life out 😊 okay thanks again!

Capture+_2019-01-25-17-24-49-1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, holobebe said:

Out of all those heads which do you think has the best and most realistic look? Oh and I guess I should give you an example of kinda what I want:

That picture made me want to try second life out 😊 okay thanks again!

Capture+_2019-01-25-17-24-49-1.png

I'm gonna be bias because I am sold  on my Genus Project heads..I have heads from all the ones i mentioned and then some..

For me it's my GenusProject Babyface.. But as I say,That is my preference which is going to be a subjective thing..I've seen beautiful pictures with pretty much all of the heads..

But you can set the lighting up and do things in photoshop just right and make any of them look more realistic.. That image up there I doubt went untouched by some form of filters and scene setup and maybe even photoshopped..

 

This image of mine is just SL with no fancy filters or photoshop..just me with my viewer on ultra and my babyface.. hehehehe

Honestly,I know what I like for me..I really think you should test and find what grabs out at you..

BabyFace 1.5_001

 

 

 

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, holobebe said:

Out of all those heads which do you think has the best and most realistic look? Oh and I guess I should give you an example of kinda what I want:

That picture made me want to try second life out 😊 okay thanks again!

Capture+_2019-01-25-17-24-49-1.png

Holobebe, I am pretty sure those skins are by Mudskin. If you find a skin you like you can then see which head the applier is for and go from there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The image is actually of the  Genus mesh heads,baby face and Classic..

They are Mudskin appliers for Genus..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The image is actually of the  Genus mesh heads,baby face and Classic..

They are Mudskin appliers for Genus..

True, it says clearly under: "GENUS SKIN APPLIER".

You will have to learn about Gacha... that is another thing. This skin creator made skins with different makeups/looks and put them in a Gacha machine where you pay money and get a random skin. The skins shown is "rare" without makeups. People can play the machine many times and not get it, instead get lots of duplicates of the skin with whiskers or whatever.

People sell the commons for 100 or 200 L and the rares cost more. With a clever filtring I was able to find one of the rares (Shota) for 450 L and that is not bad at all.

I saw on Mudskins flickr that they do a LOT of Gacha and as long as you know the rules it is fine. Play the machine and hope you are lucky and get the rare, or find a reseller.

MUDSKIN @ The Epiphany

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The image is actually of the  Genus mesh heads,baby face and Classic..

They are Mudskin appliers for Genus..

Okay I will go with genus and buy the mudskin then! Thanks again 😃 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

True, it says clearly under: "GENUS SKIN APPLIER".

You will have to learn about Gacha... that is another thing. This skin creator made skins with different makeups/looks and put them in a Gacha machine where you pay money and get a random skin. The skins shown is "rare" without makeups. People can play the machine many times and not get it, instead get lots of duplicates of the skin with whiskers or whatever.

People sell the commons for 100 or 200 L and the rares cost more. With a clever filtring I was able to find one of the rares (Shota) for 450 L and that is not bad at all.

I saw on Mudskins flickr that they do a LOT of Gacha and as long as you know the rules it is fine. Play the machine and hope you are lucky and get the rare, or find a reseller.

MUDSKIN @ The Epiphany

 

 

Oh and thanks for showing me where to get the skin. Do you know with they sell skins that aren't gacha? It kinda reminds me of gambling and I want to make sure I get the skin I won't with leaving it up to luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, holobebe said:

Oh and thanks for showing me where to get the skin. Do you know with they sell skins that aren't gacha? It kinda reminds me of gambling and I want to make sure I get the skin I won't with leaving it up to luck.

I was looking at the Flickr for Mudskin. https://www.flickr.com/photos/sophamccallen/with/31152533007/

I am not using them myself. I am using LeLutka head with DeeTalez skin.

I *think* this is not a Gacha skin. It can be a bit hard to see it because the descriptions does not always say "Gacha". It is also Mudskin. But the head is Catwa Catya.  Unless you have a lot of money to play with and can afford buying lots of heads... look carefully and demo. The demo heads are functional and you can see the expressions. (The included default Catwa skins are so ugly btw, don't let it scare you)

MUDSKIN @ Harajuku

 

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, holobebe said:

Oh and thanks for showing me where to get the skin. Do you know with they sell skins that aren't gacha? It kinda reminds me of gambling and I want to make sure I get the skin I won't with leaving it up to luck.

Yep, they have a number of appliers in their in world store that are not gacha. I haven’t been in a while so I am not sure if any are for Genus specifically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Yep, they have a number of appliers in their in world store that are not gacha. I haven’t been in a while so I am not sure if any are for Genus specifically.

Thanks so much everyone!! I think I really really like the genus baby face mesh head and once I get back on I'm going to go to the mud skin shop to give its demos a try 😄 I can't wait to get to taking photos!!!

Last question, do you guys know if I can edit my photos on a free drawing/photo editing program (I use medibang) and still achieve the same photo quality? I can guarantee that they use Photoshop and I currently don't have it, but I still want to give my pictures the same or close to the same quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, holobebe said:

Thanks so much everyone!! I think I really really like the genus baby face mesh head and once I get back on I'm going to go to the mud skin shop to give its demos a try 😄 I can't wait to get to taking photos!!!

Last question, do you guys know if I can edit my photos on a free drawing/photo editing program (I use medibang) and still achieve the same photo quality? I can guarantee that they use Photoshop and I currently don't have it, but I still want to give my pictures the same or close to the same quality.

A lot of it is the graphic settings you can use. If you can set it it high under Preferences, and tick advanced light and shadows from sun, moon and projectors, and use a high anti-aliasing, you can get very nice images that don't need much touch up.

And upload them to your computer as big as you can get them, and in PNG, not JPEG.

I used to take lots of images, but my flickr is mostly inactive now. But this is how I could set up a light projector even as long back as in 2012:

6951458089_183406fcd2_z.jpg.0137f359de3ba363eb94f26998bb0888.jpg

And this is a raw SL image, no editing, also 2012:

I was quite happy with it, and things are even better now, with mesh.

6802849108_d64013530e_z.jpg.7270f409fcfa6f0b3656fa4c71d8cc25.jpg

I am using Pixlr just now. I also used PixMonkey but now they want me to create an account, and I suppose I will do it. I don't know medibang, but the best images you can start with will give you the best result after editing. It is some really good photos with expensive graphic cards used in the best SL images. My graphic card on these pictures over her was nothing impressive, just cheap.

And it is the subforum Art, Music and Photography a bit down on this page.... and Youtube tutorials.

I have always used Firestorm Viewer, also for photos. Because they have so many Windlight presets already uploaded and ready to use. Windlight is how we talk about the light, the sky, the water, how to control how it looks. An example of how I manipulated windlight for different looks:

 

 

como_002edsm.jpg

como_004edsm.jpg

como_005edsm.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

A lot of it is the graphic settings you can use. If you can set it it high under Preferences, and tick advanced light and shadows from sun, moon and projectors, and use a high anti-aliasing, you can get very nice images that don't need much touch up.

And upload them to your computer as big as you can get them, and in PNG, not JPEG.

I used to take lots of images, but my flickr is mostly inactive now. But this is how I could set up a light projector even as long back as in 2012:

6951458089_183406fcd2_z.jpg.0137f359de3ba363eb94f26998bb0888.jpg

And this is a raw SL image, no editing, also 2012:

I was quite happy with it, and things are even better now, with mesh.

6802849108_d64013530e_z.jpg.7270f409fcfa6f0b3656fa4c71d8cc25.jpg

I am using Pixlr just now. I also used PixMonkey but now they want me to create an account, and I suppose I will do it. I don't know medibang, but the best images you can start with will give you the best result after editing. It is some really good photos with expensive graphic cards used in the best SL images. My graphic card on these pictures over her was nothing impressive, just cheap.

And it is the subforum Art, Music and Photography a bit down on this page.... and Youtube tutorials.

I have always used Firestorm Viewer, also for photos. Because they have so many Windlight presets already uploaded and ready to use. Windlight is how we talk about the light, the sky, the water, how to control how it looks. An example of how I manipulated windlight for different looks:

 

 

como_002edsm.jpg

como_004edsm.jpg

como_005edsm.jpg

Wow that is gorgeous 😮 I need to watch more tutorials on photography in second life but now I'm really excited!!! I didn't know I could change the graphics and what is wind light? I also use firestorm can I change wind light in there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the program PaintNet;  a great photo editing program plus it's FREE!  I included two photos; on I took in FS and how I edited it in said program.

Original photo I took

wip_001.thumb.png.a9ee225de3bf4d0e1183b6442f524503.png

 

PaintNet edited image below;

2144478582_coloursplashprofilepicture2019.thumb.png.b56d4a6a1768dcc1a62e9c4404c2d448.png

Edited by MrsSeren
removing unrelated SL pic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to do a repost here of my updated look as it seems relevant.  This is with the Lelutka Simone head with the League Alessa skin.

1057187617_Gabriele-BayCity_005(1920).thumb.jpg.46512449555aecdf802ac400eb15214f.jpg

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, holobebe said:

Wow that is gorgeous 😮 I need to watch more tutorials on photography in second life but now I'm really excited!!! I didn't know I could change the graphics and what is wind light? I also use firestorm can I change wind light in there?

I think you will like these videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_IaGpu4N7yHvxWMGSm_0xA/videos?disable_polymer=1

Scroll down to the "Taking high resolution "up close" portraits for Second Life". I think this will cover the start for you. Since you don't have Photoshop, shooting against a "green screen" is probably out. If you want to make cartoons, a white background like that would work.

It is so much to say about Windlight... I don't know where to start. But I think these videos are good. Remember you must learn to walk before you run. In your case, learn to wear and change mesh bodies and heads. That can be hard enough.

Practice on headshots, and find out what your computer can handle of graphic settings. Then try to browse locations for your images in a setting like sci-fi, or gardens, or cities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a really good walk through also for setting up shots, and  working with lighting in SL,as well as things like  pulling things from SL into photoshop or whatever programs you are using..

It was a really relaxing and interesting series to watch..

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNXyxMkhzo

Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cfmtrpyD5A&t=56s

 

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I think you will like these videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_IaGpu4N7yHvxWMGSm_0xA/videos?disable_polymer=1

Scroll down to the "Taking high resolution "up close" portraits for Second Life". I think this will cover the start for you. Since you don't have Photoshop, shooting against a "green screen" is probably out. If you want to make cartoons, a white background like that would work.

It is so much to say about Windlight... I don't know where to start. But I think these videos are good. Remember you must learn to walk before you run. In your case, learn to wear and change mesh bodies and heads. That can be hard enough.

Practice on headshots, and find out what your computer can handle of graphic settings. Then try to browse locations for your images in a setting like sci-fi, or gardens, or cities.

 

13 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This is a really good walk through also for setting up shots, and  working with lighting in SL,as well as things like  pulling things from SL into photoshop or whatever programs you are using..

It was a really relaxing and interesting series to watch..

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNXyxMkhzo

Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cfmtrpyD5A&t=56s

 

Thanks again! Wow this might be harder than I originally thought but I want to keep pushing through and hopefully get good at it. 😃 and you are right there is still basic stuff about SL that I suck at so I will try to master the basics (in this case mainly learning how to dress myself without skin poking through the clothing) before I take a big leap into photography!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, holobebe said:

 

Thanks again! Wow this might be harder than I originally thought but I want to keep pushing through and hopefully get good at it. 😃 and you are right there is still basic stuff about SL that I suck at so I will try to master the basics (in this case mainly learning how to dress myself without skin poking through the clothing) before I take a big leap into photography!

You can do so much stuff with the wind light settings that will amaze you..Pulling them into photoshop is fun also..

Myself I have been just doing SL shots without pulling them out of world..I just haven't had the time like I used to..But I used to really enjoy being in photoshop..

 

These are a couple of quick shots I took last night of my avatar with the Genus head and  two Skinnery skins..

The first is Nadine-Ebony and the second is one is Madison-ebony that just came out this morning..

I'm so super excited about the newest one that I'm already wanting to set up some scenes for it..hehehe

I put another in the bottom to give an idea of what a scene can do for a picture even without photoshop..

thinking then thinking some moreMadison1_005

 

This one is just SL with wind light settings and a full scene that I setup..I took a little series of them..

Learning the lighting  just in the viewer can have a big impact on your images.. :)

Caught off guard

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You can do so much stuff with the wind light settings that will amaze you..Pulling them into photoshop is fun also..

Myself I have been just doing SL shots without pulling them out of world..I just haven't had the time like I used to..But I used to really enjoy being in photoshop..

 

These are a couple of quick shots I took last night of my avatar with the Genus head and  two Skinnery skins..

The first is Nadine-Ebony and the second is one is Madison-ebony that just came out this morning..

I'm so super excited about the newest one that I'm already wanting to set up some scenes for it..hehehe

I put another in the bottom to give an idea of what a scene can do for a picture even without photoshop..

thinking then thinking some moreMadison1_005

 

This one is just SL with wind light settings and a full scene that I setup..I took a little series of them..

Learning the lighting  just in the viewer can have a big impact on your images.. :)

Caught off guard

 

Wow your avi is very pretty and she looks so realistic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×