Help for School Project

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Might have something to do with the fact there is a Globe Theatre in operation today and they do more than just put on Shakespearean plays?

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/whats-on

Yeah, I've seen it. Never seen a production there, though. There's a great clip of Stephen Fry playing Malvolio in a production there:

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SweetCupcake999 said:

Since we just started this project today and I have only heard of SL before, but have never played it until today, where I was only in for a brief period, and I didn`t know what I was doing, like at all. So, I have no idea how all of this works.

Wow, thats harsh that your teacher not only choses such a bizarre topic for his class, but also didn't care to deliver an instruction to anything for their students.

Hi Sweet!  Welcome to Second Life.  I hope you enjoy it enough to stay, even though you were sorta coerced into coming by a homework assignment!

There are three very different sorts of "educational institution" in Second Life.

1.  Second Life regions that are run by a Real Life college or university.  The RL college uses Second Life as a form of "distance learning"...using the internet to convey information and provide a communication channel between a teacher and her students.  Some places are intended less for education and more for research into various aspects of virtual worlds and their effect on people, interactions between people, and on society.  Many of these places have access restricted to only their own people, but others are open to the public.
  2. A place created by residents to provide education and instruction about Second Life itself, or some specific facet of Second Life.  One example of this is the place I work in SL, Caledon Oxbridge University.  It appears to be a staid university campus, but the buildings are a walk-through tutorial about SL.  Oxbridge also offers classes on various Second Life subjects.  There are no prerequisites, no tests, no grades...and no tuition!  Another example is the Ivory Tower Library of Primitives, which is a building that houses interactive exhibits that teach the use of the object creation tools built into SL.
  3. A "school" that's simply for role-playing.  These are more of a big stage than an actual school, at least in the way they function.  The point of them is not learning, but the interaction between the participants as "students" and "faculty".  Some of them (maybe most) are quite sexual in their intent and outcome.

• Lindens
On 1/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, sorry. It was/is probably the best known study of SL (not that there are too many of those). Heck, it was even reissued in paperback! It's pretty good, actually. 2008, so it's a bit dated now, but it's surprising also how much of it still rings true.

I

Tom Boellstorff's work recently was the focal point of a full-feature film made by Draxtor (which won a bunch of awards too, yay!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2019 at 4:03 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I hope Drax's film was better than Boellstorff's book.  One of my friends, who has first hand knowledge about real life disabilities, Second Life, and how they interact disagreed violently with him on a number of issues.

I liked's Drax's film a lot.  It gave a view of SL from some people with different disabilities in RL - actually showed most of the people in both SL and RL.  It was one of the few longer-than-5-minute videos about SL that I watched from beginning to end. IMO Drax is usually pretty good at putting together decent videos and this one does a good job of using both SL and RL stuff.

I will say that while I've read a bit of Boellstorff's stuff from different locations on the web, I've never actually read his book.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry that I am late to the party on this posting but it looked very interesting. I am interested in using SL for some of the classes I teach but have had limited success in connecting with others. Has anyone looked at the stuff David Taylor at National University has done? He has some excellent YouTube videos that have been very helpful. Also, have found some good YouTube videos on writing scripts to use in educational settings ..

Hi Sweet. I have always used SL as a learning tool for myself and in RL tutors call me a tutor but I'm not really. I am student support.

Nevertheless - Your topic for today *could be:
1 Mesh implementation & avatar visual improvements over time? 
(the journey from a "system" avatar/clothes to bewdiful full 3d mesh). 
2 Examine the "cloud" approach to data storage and how it affects an online world?
3 Or something incredibly exciting and more in line with modern entertainment "standards"
-> "why it took 6 months to find my RL hair colour in SL" 🤭 

SL'rs already use a ton of tools to document SL things like Gyazo, (screen capture), Flickr - piccies, YouTube etc etc.

4 hours ago, IvyTechEngineer said:

Sorry that I am late to the party on this posting but it looked very interesting. I am interested in using SL for some of the classes I teach but have had limited success in connecting with others. Has anyone looked at the stuff David Taylor at National University has done? He has some excellent YouTube videos that have been very helpful. Also, have found some good YouTube videos on writing scripts to use in educational settings ..

Hi Ivy (if I may be so bold),

Do you mean connecting with other teachers here? I mentioned SLED, the SL educators listserv, in an early post here. So far as I know, it's still a going concern -- at least I still seem to be getting emails from it. There are still occasional educational conferences in-world: I run across notice of them sometimes. And the Journal of Virtual Worlds Research is still a thing for peer reviewed research on SL and other VW environments.

What do you teach?

Thank you for your replay. I teach engineering courses and have been trying to recreate VW features that were developed back around 2011. Much of what I have learned so far has come from YouTube or emails with people who will have a piece of the puzzle. My background is electrical engineering (know some software) and CAD. Thanks for the link to the journal, just registered and will check it out ... OBTW, I think I saw some Shakespeare SL reference by David Taylor on YouTube. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.