Gacha category? or still just dump everywhere...

Ethan Paslong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Ah, so this isn't about you caring about gacha resellers, you simply care about your time.

Stop putting words in my mouth. My example was to show why it's not a good idea. If I don't have the time what makes you think others will? Currently there are 125K plus items in the gacha category with NO sub-categories. Who in their right mind is going to wade through all those gachas?

The fact is that things are as they are. LL says that gacha items can be put in the gacha category or the appropriate category based on what the item actually is. I'm not making the policy, LL is, so your attacking me isn't going to get you anywhere. I am but one person who has a right to voice her opinion. I am not really a gacha merchant. I on occasion will sell the few extras I get so my viewpoint is not so much from a merchant stance but from a shoppers stance. As a shopper I oppose the gacha category emphatically. 

If you want to continue attacking me, go ahead, but I won't be responding further. 

You do realize that 99% of people find out about a Gacha by going to an event, seeing a flickr picture, a merchant notice or all the other hundreds of things instead of wading through anywhere? Most people direct search for a gacha, then they may direct search for specific items from that gacha. Only a very few bored folks will wade through that uncategorized category.

You keep raising such moot points it's a bit sad :(

Also if by quoting I am putting words into your mouth I don't think you understand the quoting feature 😲

• Like 1

I think a Gacha Dump is a great idea.

The notion that the amount of gachas on MP is growing can probably be explained, at least in part, by the fact that the majority of gachas is unwanted by everyone.

Maybe LL can provide a public region named Gacha Dump on which residents can dump all their unwanted gachas?

It may be a good alternative to wasting time and energy by setting up a MP page to list them and for these items to stay up there forever and eternal, only to pollute search result lists on MP.

Newbies can scavenge the place and pick up stuff for keeps or to trash as soon as they find out that there are nicer things out there.

*cue fly sounds for ambience*

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

by the fact that the majority of gachas is unwanted by everyone.

I agree and disagree with this.

The number of gacha items on the MP keeps growing because the items put up there are unwanted by that specific person, certainly not by everyone in most cases. One person's junk is another person's treasure and all that.

Considering the sheer volume of gacha items I have sold and am still selling the market is healthy. Not to the point where sales outnumber new items but that's a given considering 99% of all events and sales and god knows what now have Gacha's and more and more people refuse to play them and simply buy the item directly from the MP or an inworld Gacha Sale place instead of trying their luck.

By the way, anyone with prims to spare could make such a Gacha Dump, but chances are sky high someone will scoop in, pick up everything and then just list them on the MP for sale anyway. Sad but true.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Gachas on the Marketplace is a passionate subject, no matter which side of any "argument" you are on.  Please remember, though, that no matter which side you personally take, everyone is trying to use the Marketplace to meet their own personal needs. 

Not everyone will have their individual needs met. 

The Gacha category was asked for by both Gacha and Non Gacha sellers.  It was asked for by both Gacha and Non Gacha buyers. 

The single biggest issue reported from both sellers and buyers is that the vast majority of items are in the wrong categories. 

Gacha items are a fact of life, no, they will NOT be banned from the Marketplace, as some users actually requested. 

It was decided to create a new Gacha category for those items, and judging by the sheer number of listings in the category, it was appropriate to create that category for those items.

Is it an easy category to browse? No. It is an easy category to search? Yes. 

If a buyer is looking for a specific set, or a specific item, they can use the Search function to try to quickly locate the item regardless of which category the listing has been placed into.

Since there are a LOT of Categories and Sub-Categories on the Marketplace, and a HUGE number of Gacha items and Gacha resellers, the simplest and quickest option was to create a category for those products. 

The sellers no longer have to try to guess which category their listings should go into. They can place all of them into one category and be done with it, and not have to worry that their items will be unlisted, instead of trying to review every possible sub-category to try to decide which one should be used for any particular listing. 

The Developers and Engineers are always looking at new features and options that are requested by sellers and buyers to determine if what is being asked for can be done, and if it can be done, should it be done, and if it should be done, how is the best way to do it.

If you, as a seller or buyer, would like to see new options on the Marketplace the best, and frankly the only, way to ask for those options is to create a Jira Ticket. 

Discussing the ways that the Marketplace CAN be used, and the way each of us DO use it can highlight issues that could be handled differently, regardless of whether you personally would even use a new, or different option. 

Do NOT attack others on these forums, it will not be tolerated

Do NOT assume that your way is the only way. It isn't. 

Do NOT assume your way is the best way, either. It may not be.

Linden Lab provides the Marketplace as service to the users, to help users to sell and buy content that they themselves have created. We value the input that all of you provide on how it works, or doesn't work, for you, and how you personally feel it could be improved.

You use the Marketplace the way YOU want to, as long as it is not in a manner that violates the policies, and if you think we could do something different that would make it better for you, then create that Jira Ticket and get your idea into the system. 

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

[...]

You use the Marketplace the way YOU want to, as long as it is not in a manner that violates the policies, and if you think we could do something different that would make it better for you, then create that Jira Ticket and get your idea into the system. 

On 12/12/2018 at 1:52 AM, Tari Landar said:

The code for a required checkbox option, and allowing said option as a search choice(like perms) as well, already exists. It is in place and being used(has been since MP's inception), doesn't need to be written, will barely need testing (because it's already functional), and covers more bases than any other option.

So, is there already a Jira request for this feature?

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.