Edit object that is stuck within another PIRM.

Jaysson Turbo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay the title may not explain the situation well enough. Lets say you have plants or trees on your property. And the bigger plants cover the smaller ones. If I try to click on the smaller plants I instead ALWAYS click the larger ones. Up to now I have been having to select the larger PIRM (Tree etc) than move it out of the way. To get access to the other object/PIRM.  I have full Parcel rights I am owner.

Is there any tool or menu that can show like all my items on a list and let me choose with one to go into edit mode. Even if I can't directly click on that PIRM due to the fact it's covered? Or any ideas or tips at all? Or am I just stuck having to move the other PIRM first etc. Thanks.

I run into this issue a lot.

You can try Area Search, to list all items nearby. If you remember the name of the smaller plant, right click name in list, select Edit. That works in FS, dunno with other viewers. 

You can guess which object it is by distance... or just individually edit each object till you get the one you want

• Like 2

TechDave has a good solution,  World>Area Search in FS. It sorts them closest first.

Don't forget that Ctrl-Z works as well as an Undo, you can still drag up the bigger, edit the smaller, edit the bigger and Ctrl-Z and it returns to it's last position. This seems to survive until the region is rebooted, so you normally get a few days.

It's "prim", not PIRM.  That's short for "geometric primitive shape".

But let's not quibble!

There are several ways to grab hold of obscured objects.

1.  Select Build/Options/Hide Selected.  Right click the big tree.  It will disappear.  Right click the object you want.  It will disappear too, and the big tree will reappear...but your desired object will be selected and you can Edit it to a more accessible position.  Turn off the Hide Selected option, then select and edit your item normally.

2.  If you use Firestorm, right click the big tree and choose Derender/Temporarily.  It will disappear.  It'll be back again next time you relog or teleport into the region.

3.  Use your cam-fu to swing your camera in under the branches of the big tree and close to the desired object.  Right click and Edit it.  It may help to hit CTRL+ALT+T to highlight transparent prims...many trees and shrubs have much larger prims than their visible branches and foliage would suggest.  For more on how to move your camera around, see my blog post, https://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2012/06/camming.html

I'd normally try camming inside and selecting the smaller object but really I don't see a problem with just moving the larger object out of the way. If you find yourself constantly running into the problem, you could try attaching another prim to the smaller object which sticks out of the larger object and is easily accessed. Provided that your object is modifiable of course. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'd normally try camming inside and selecting the smaller object

To cam inside an object, hold down Ctrl and Alt and click and hold mouse button. Then move the mouse around to get a good angle and use the ouse wheel to pand in and out. It takes a bit of practice if you haven't done it before but it's a very useful skill. If they are plants, you probably want to click Ctrl+Alt+T first to see invisible parts.

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

but really I don't see a problem with just moving the larger object out of the way.

If you go for that solution, right-click to edit the larger object afterwards, then click Ctrl+Z to snap it back into place.

Edit the bigger prim, add 10 metres to the z position to lift it out of the way, do what you want to do, then go back to the big prim, subtract 10 metres from the Z position. Works in any viewer. Almost foolproof (putting too big a figure into the Z-position can shoot it up to 4000 metres).

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2043 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.