Tier prices

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

I probably shouldn't post two different replies to the same quote but I got curious about the other side of this: In what way do the Linden Homes hold up progress? There's plenty of room for new sims elsewhere so it's not as if they're in the way for anything and nobody's forced to live there or visit there. As for money, if they hadn't brought LL a net income, they would have taken them down long ago.

I don't see the need to add a lot of "basically abandoned mainland" to the grid. Once the new Linden homes become available I'm guessing that the vast .. huge .. majority of the people are going to want to move to the new much improved homes. So what is to gain by leaving a lot of abandoned land on the grid?

LL has always been extremely reluctant to delete Mainland, once it has been created.  For one thing, even if only a few people are on a region, those are people who'll be mightily ticked off if they are forced to move.  And the logistics of moving people is a royal pain, too...remember Zindra and the Adult Migration?

And, if there's too much land, land is less valuable and therefore more difficult to sell.

I guess I've never really considered the continent with Linden Homes to be real mainland. You can't buy it, you can't sell it. Seems like when upgrading to new homes it would be logical to get rid of the old neighborhood. But I'll just wait to see what they do. I really dislike all the abandoned land we already have on the mainland, and the idea of having thousands of 512 Linden homes setting vacant just to accommodate a few ... what did Chic call them? Rip Van Winkles? seems such a waste.

To be clear I'm not talking about force moving from the mainland. I'm suggesting removing the continent where the current 512 Linden homes are located. 

I speculate too much perhaps. :P 

Edited by Blush Bravin

44 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

So what is to gain by leaving a lot of abandoned land on the grid?

Oh yes, if there aren't enough occupied houses in a Linden Homes sim to cover the cost, I'm sure LL will know what to do. I don't believe that many people will move, althugh I'm sure some will. That's not only because of the Rip van Winkles, many people who do use their SL homes have spent a lot of time and effort decorating and presonalising them and will be reluctant to give up what they have and start anew somewhere else. You think there will be a large miration. Time will show.

I did one quick check though. I sent an alt to two random Linden Homes sims and checked the traffic at 15 random parcels there, all of them owned by somebody. Two of them showed up with 19, 123 and 178 traffic count respectively, the other 12 were all at 0. We need far more thorough research than that to draw any conclusions of course.

My name is Chin, not Chic btw (although I prefer Rey). The "Rip van Winkle" term was coined by Desmond Shang who wrote a guest article about it for the NWN blog in 2012.

I actually think that of the Premium Home owners that log in fairly regularly, most will opt for a new larger home when given a chance.  That will give them more space to decorate & personalize for no more money, and I think many will opt for that.  The only way they will migrate though is if LL actually sends emails to everyone telling them about the newer larger homes and letting them know that it is an upgrade to their Premium benefits and will not necessarily cost them anything to move (unless they are already using their additional 512 sqm elsewhere).  In the grand scheme of things, I think a very small percentage come to the forums or ever read the blogs, and a lot don't pay attention to that banner notice during login either.  Heck, just last week someone popped into the forums and still had no clue they could get more land now.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Oh yes, if there aren't enough occupied houses in a Linden Homes sim to cover the cost, I'm sure LL will know what to do. I don't believe that many people will move, althugh I'm sure some will. That's not only because of the Rip van Winkles, many people who do use their SL homes have spent a lot of time and effort decorating and presonalising them and will be reluctant to give up what they have and start anew somewhere else.

I'm so excited about the new Linden homes I'm having a hard time sitting still in my seat. I am going to sell land so I will have the extra 512 to add to my tier so I can give up my 512 Linden home (I use as a workshop) and get the larger new improved model. In fact, if they look as good as what Patch has been showing us, I may use my mainland for my store and workshop and move into the Linden home full time as my SL residence. So yes, I have a hard time believing anyone will want to stay in those antiquated models. But that's my prejudice and I admit it freely. :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.