Forum Self-Censorship from Criticism

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I find lately, that after getting “corrected” by other Forum users (my term: “slapped down”) for posting on other’s threads - perhaps playfully, perhaps askance the topic - I find myself policing my own posts!

Now: this is not like me at all. Not sure if I am afraid of moderation, seeking positive feedback, or what. But I’m used to being an independent voice.

Does anyone else have this experience or any advice?

EA0C9405-2DD5-4C31-94C5-D75BFC3D2F9F.jpeg

I would think everyone would want to police their own posts as a matter of course. After all, you are addressing an audience, and you want to take them into account.  You don’t want to always blurt out the first thing that comes to mind

I don’t see how that would prevent anyone from being an independent voice.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I would think everyone would want to police their own posts as a matter of course. After all, you are addressing an audience, and you want to take them into account.  You don’t want to always blurt out the first thing that comes to mind

I don’t see how that would prevent anyone from being an independent voice.

One's only concern in making a post should be is it liable to get you suspended? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Not only, but probably first.

Depends on if you believe in the motto "To thine own self be true" or not.

Believe it or not  I did apologize for making a post the other day. Someone bared their soul and I made a snippy comment. I believe political statements are fair game for comment, but not necessarily personal revelations.

Edited by Phorumities
added stuff
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I think being 'mindful' is a better way to describe how one should be on a forum, or in life for that matter -- this implies an awareness that takes into account the fact there are other people in the room one should also consider.
'Policing' oneself implies that one feels they have or could easily do something wrong -- it's a negative state of excessive self-consciousness where one feels bad.
Perhaps if one is a jerk in general or always in a bad mood they should police themselves, but a person like Love has no need to exist in such a constrained state of mind.

• Thanks 1

I think self inspection is always a good thing. Lord knows since starting to post in these forums I've had to do a lot of it myself. I even did a good read about what constitutes trolling, because believe it or not I just wasn't sure. While reading that article I saw myself and it has tempered how I respond, or at least try to temper myself. All that said, I can't remember reading anything you've posted that was really negative or needing restraint. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I find lately, that after getting “corrected” by other Forum users (my term: “slapped down”) for posting on other’s threads - perhaps playfully, perhaps askance the topic - I find myself policing my own posts!

Now: this is not like me at all. Not sure if I am afraid of moderation, seeking positive feedback, or what. But I’m used to being an independent voice.

Does anyone else have this experience or any advice?

EA0C9405-2DD5-4C31-94C5-D75BFC3D2F9F.jpeg

In my opinion,Do what you do..

If it's moderation that is bothering you,Just keep mind of the rules is all..:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes it’s obvious that no matter what you do, some people will never be happy. That’s why I make lighthearted posts, in hopes that someone’s day is brightened even a little.

Sometimes it backfires. *shrug* For people to absolutely freak out about it means - the problem is not me. So, I guess I have the answer to my original post!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sometimes it’s obvious that no matter what you do, some people will never be happy. That’s why I make lighthearted posts, in hopes that someone’s day is brightened even a little.

Sometimes it backfires. *shrug* For people to absolutely freak out about it means - the problem is not me. So, I guess I have the answer to my original post!

You do brighten people's days! Unlike the usual posts of Grumpy and woman-shredder...LOL

But yes...you just have to be yourself...block them if they decide to start gunning for u...

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sometimes it’s obvious that no matter what you do, some people will never be happy.

Then why don’t you try doing what Kristen said to do yesterday and take politics and religion to some other venue?. It’s not that hard. Really.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.