Delete Notifications?

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I click the little Bell symbol for my Notifications, the most recent ones are at the top.  That's fine.  The ones I haven't read yet are in boldface.  That's fine too.  What's not fine is that I have ten pages of notifications.  I'd like to delete the ones I've already dealt with, but I don't see a way to do that.

If there is such a way, would someone please point it out to me?  If there's not, it'd be really nice to add that, LL.

• Thanks 1

Best I can tell, they stay around forever.  Even if you click the thing at the top that says "Mark site read" and immediately refresh you notifications page, they will all be bolded (mine show as bolded AFTER I read them), but the many pages will still be there.  Checking mine just now, I currently have 256 pages of notifications - all already read.

Those 256 pages go back to July 8th, so maybe there is a 3 month limit or maybe 256 pages is the limit or ?????. I'll make a note to recheck later today to see if the pages increase and recheck tomorrow to see what the farthest date back is.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Best I can tell, they stay around forever.  Even if you click the thing at the top that says "Mark site read" and immediately refresh you notifications page, they will all be bolded (mine show as bolded AFTER I read them), but the many pages will still be there.  Checking mine just now, I currently have 256 pages of notifications - all already read.

Those 256 pages go back to July 8th, so maybe there is a 3 month limit or maybe 256 pages is the limit or ?????. I'll make a note to recheck later today to see if the pages increase and recheck tomorrow to see what the farthest date back is.

Maybe they only live if you look at them.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure if it is as annoying on mobile. Or, if I don’t get enough notifications to be bothered. Did you consider changing your settings to be notified of less things?

I get notified for any new posts to any thread that I start or post in.  I also get notified anytime someone quotes me or references my name in a post.  Additionally, I get notifications for all threads/posts by anyone that I follow.  

I actually want all of those notifications, but once I've read the corresponding post, I don't really need the notification to stay on the list.  So it isn't really that I want less notifications, I just don't need them to stick around for months.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Is there a reason for wanting to delete old notifications? They don't get in the way, and they don't use use local memory or storage.

When I press the notification "bell", I would like to see only notifications I have not already seen.  Its not a big issue for me but I don't see the point of notifications hanging around once seen.

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Is there a reason for wanting to delete old notifications? They don't get in the way, and they don't use use local memory or storage.

My reason for not wanting them to hang around:  I have eye issues regarding light which make it difficult for me to sometimes distinguish between bold and not bold, so it is often hard for me to tell the difference between the notifications that I've already read and the ones I haven't.

• Like 1

@Gabriele Graves

I agree. And I've changed my mind about them not getting in the way. They can get in the way. I only get those notification when either someone has quoted me or someone has 'reacted' to a post of mine, so I'm not swamped with them. But, even then I can have around 8 of them when I get to the computer, which means remembering which were new because when clicking on one to go and see it, they are all unbolded. That's when old old ones can get in the way.

I know that some people get a lot more notifications, because they've said so in this thread, and it must be difficult fro them to remember how far down the new ones go after having clicked on one and unbolded the lot.

An ideal solution would be to only unbold each one when it is clicked on, and remove one when it is clicked on or after 24 hours whichever is soonest.

Edited by Phil Deakins

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My reason for not wanting them to hang around:  I have eye issues regarding light which make it difficult for me to sometimes distinguish between bold and not bold, so it is often hard for me to tell the difference between the notifications that I've already read and the ones I haven't.

I think the above solution would cover it for you.

As it is now, it's generally unsatisfactory - not massively, but it could be made much better.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

An ideal solution would be to only unbold each one when it is clicked on

Lindal also noted that the ones she hasn't read yet are in bold.  I wonder what dictates that because my notification for regular posts (other replies to threads that I've posted in) actually show as not bold if I haven't read them yet and change to bold after I've read them.  My notifications for quotes & references are the opposite - they start out bold and shift to non-bold after I read them.

My unread ones are bolded. When I've looked at the list, whether or not I've clicked on any, they are unbolded. None of mine ever change to bold.

But then I don't get notifications for anything other than being quoted and reactions, so I don't know how other notifications work.

Edited by Phil Deakins

• Administrators

Hello and welcome to Notification Purgatory! I have been stuck in it since the dawn of this era of forum software. Unfortunately at this time, we are not able to add an option to delete old unread notifications. I wonder if eventually it will just cap itself out? I am sure I will find out in time. But hey, at least we have cookies here in purgatory!

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.