Evicted from a rental I never rented?

Saraesa Kalinakov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just logged on and received a notice from a CasperLet rental box that I was evicted from a rental...except I never rented from the parcel it was supposedly located on OR from the company.

Is it possible for someone to use your account name WITHOUT having given them access to your account?

I know the sim in question and the person who owns it and he, supposedly, runs the rental company.

I am simply perplexed by this as it's the first time anything like this has happened in nearly 10 years. I did read through the CasperLet FAQ and wiki but couldn't locate an answer to my question, so figured I would ask in here.

Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, Saraesa Kalinakov said:

I have just logged on and received a notice from a CasperLet rental box that I was evicted from a rental...except I never rented from the parcel it was supposedly located on OR from the company.

Is it possible for someone to use your account name WITHOUT having given them access to your account?

That's strange.

It is possible for the owner of the rental system to add a tenant manually and I suppsoe that's what happened. Why is ahrd to say but if you know the owner, why don't you ask?

I can only think of one way, and I haven't tested it.  From the web page CasperLet gives him concerning that rental he could have reserved the parcel in your name, paid rent to the box, then evicted you in the usual way by clicking the option on the web page.  If that's possible (and it might not work if the system recognises he paid the rent not you) then someone could do it maliciously to annoy a person who never rented from them.  This is off the top of my head though, and I'd suggest asking in the CasperLet support group, or I can ask for you.

3 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I can only think of one way, and I haven't tested it.  From the web page CasperLet gives him concerning that rental he could have reserved the parcel in your name, paid rent to the box, then evicted you in the usual way by clicking the option on the web page.  If that's possible (and it might not work if the system recognises he paid the rent not you) then someone could do it maliciously to annoy a person who never rented from them.  This is off the top of my head though, and I'd suggest asking in the CasperLet support group, or I can ask for you.

The landlord can specify the name to use for either a reservation or a rental. The landlord can also set the time remaining (without bothering to pay). If the landlord decided to stop the arrangement, then Evict Silently would have been a better way to do it. I don't think anyone else (except possibly someone with admin permissions for the rental system) could spoof someone else's name. If you rent by paying the box, the system automatically uses the name of the person who paid as the renter.

• Like 1

I am just honestly perplexed.

Yes. I went to the specified sim at the invitation of the owner, several times over the last few days, but there was never a discussion about him reserving a parcel on my behalf. He WAS rather pushy in trying to get me to rent from him or even move in with him, however that has been nipped in the bud and made perfectly clear it won't be happening as I rent elsewhere from a company I have rented from for a number of years. So getting this message:

[09:10] CasperLet: You have been evicted from your rental at (Insert parcel name and coords here)

has left me feeling rather confused.

I simply do not wish to cause any unnecessary conflict between the person and myself and the answers provided here have certainly given me a number of plausible reasons for it happening.

Well, I know one rental company I will NOT be recommending people rent from.

To me that is underhanded tactics and, having spoken with a friend inworld and the CasperLet FAQ, it worries me that a person such as him runs a rental company. One small disagreement and you'd wind up homeless.

Have a good day folks and thank you so much for your insight and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Could be he accidentally added your name to a parcel and quickly removed it? Not knowing you'd get some notice?  Ive not used that interface so I wouldn't know, but it could have been a simple mistake like clicking the wrong button.   Thats just as plausible as something malicious right?  Or is the rental interface not that easily used mistakenly?

I am struggling to see any evidence of malicious intent. They either added you by accident, reserved a parcel for you or gave you some extra permissions to rezz your shopping or something and then withdrew them. Since you never paid any rent and aren't interested in either rezzing or living there then... not seeing the concern.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Saraesa Kalinakov said:

He WAS rather pushy in trying to get me to rent from him or even move in with him

So what probably happened is that he had already added you to the resident list as he was still trying to convince you, and when he gave up, he just removed you from the list. Literally as simple as that.

It's a standard message from Casper, what do you think you've lost by getting "evicted" from a place you've never rented from anyway?

So far this has been a very vague one-sided story. There could be all kinds of ways this might have gone. Maybe he liked you (hence offering to move in with him), or maybe he didn't mean specifically into his house. Maybe there was miscommunication or something you said that made him think you were considering the move or even agreed to it. You (or us) really shouldn't assume anything because it will just take us completely off-track from what originally went on.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Saraesa Kalinakov said:

Well, I know one rental company I will NOT be recommending people rent from.

To me that is underhanded tactics and, having spoken with a friend inworld and the CasperLet FAQ, it worries me that a person such as him runs a rental company. One small disagreement and you'd wind up homeless.

Have a good day folks and thank you so much for your insight and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

i don't see it the way you do, he was kinda sure you would rent and prepared the rentalbox, no malicious or shady behaviour if you ask me.

You didnt experience any real harm except perhaps a bit "huh" feeling, of course your right not to recommend this landlord, but for what?... trying to get you to rent? That's his job....

Also there's no real sign you would get evicted from a rental when you have a disagreement. You didn't come to that point.

6 hours ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Could be he accidentally added your name to a parcel and quickly removed it? Not knowing you'd get some notice?  Ive not used that interface so I wouldn't know, but it could have been a simple mistake like clicking the wrong button.   Thats just as plausible as something malicious right?  Or is the rental interface not that easily used mistakenly?

You can choose ways to evict.  There's an option to evict silently, which the landlord could have used, but didn't.  It might be that he genuinely thought the OP was interested in the parcel, taking her friendliness as proof, but he still had the option not to let her see the eviction notice.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

You can choose ways to evict.  There's an option to evict silently, which the landlord could have used, but didn't.  It might be that he genuinely thought the OP was interested in the parcel, taking her friendliness as proof, but he still had the option not to let her see the eviction notice.

Which you can't assume was intentional. Could be he doesn't even know there's another option, or what the difference is. Maybe be he forgot.

Could be some other person who has access to the system and was told to remove the person and that person chose to give a notice to be safe.

My point is, the story is incomplete and making assumptions usually just makes the situation worse (whether perceptually or through actions caused by those assumptions). For example if OP starts steering people away from the rentals because they were ""evicted"" from a non-existing parcel they didn't want to be in and didn't pay money for.

• Like 2

Okay, I think I need to nip all this in the bud.

1. I deliberately didn't name the company, the sim or the other person involved because my original question wasn't in regards to them specifically, but to a notification I received unexpectedly and it took me by surprise.

2. I stated I had been to the sim in question by invitation of the owner, specifically to the parcel in which he has his own private home, and at no time was I told I had rez rights, been added to anything etc.

3. I stated he had been pushy in trying to get me to rent from him and what I neglected to add was that he had been intent on contacting the company I currently rent from to inform them they overcharge (in fact they are incredibly reasonable in their rates) which I was not happy with as I did not want to lose my current home OR to cause conflict with them.

4. Given I had never received a message like the one I received, I wasn't even aware a rental could be held in my name by someone else and I was concerned as to how that was even possible. My comment regarding not recommending the company was made because the fact such practices can obviously take place doesn't sit well with me personally. Especially if such deals are made based on friendships, relationships etc. I much prefer to keep dealings such as those on a professional level.

Everyone's answers and input have all helped shed light on my question and I thank you all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Saraesa Kalinakov said:

4. Given I had never received a message like the one I received, I wasn't even aware a rental could be held in my name by someone else and I was concerned as to how that was even possible. My comment regarding not recommending the company was made because the fact such practices can obviously take place doesn't sit well with me personally.

Having now read the CasperTech wiki..

1. No one is keeping rent or land in your name, you were just added and removed as a subtenant. Subtenants aren't responsible for rent and don't get notifications, but they can be evicted and are evicted automatically with the primary tenant when the rent expires.

2. CasperTech is very widespread, so you might want to double-check what system your current landowners are using.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:47 AM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

1. No one is keeping rent or land in your name, you were just added and removed as a subtenant. Subtenants aren't responsible for rent and don't get notifications, but they can be evicted and are evicted automatically with the primary tenant when the rent expires.

:D

i never knew that

I go with the OP on this.  Wannabe bf added hopetobe gf to one of his parcels. Hopetobe gf said I am not hopetobe ok. I am nevergunnabe. Fine then says wannabe and neverwillbe. I am evict you anyway so there !?!!!

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.