Linden Realms

Kiwi Runo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK I tried it today, my frustration tolerance simply is not big enough for the new LR, ...

Worse yet: when you enter several times you will get a new temporary HUD glued to your screen, and the only thing you can do is derender it (nope it won't detach and yes you will get a new one each time you enter)

Edited by Fionalein

13 hours ago, Fionalein said:

OK I tried it today, my frustration tolerance simply is not big enough for the new LR, ...

Worse yet: when you enter several times you will get a new temporary HUD glued to your screen, and the only thing you can do is derender it (nope it won't detach and yes you will get a new one each time you enter)

The HUD is part of the game. Do you mean you get a new one on top of each old one every time? Mine detached when I left.

3 hours ago, Elfangor said:

Mine detached when I left.

Mine didn't yesterday, I had 4 on when I started derendering, seems fixed today. Also yesterday the sand goggle radar didn't pop up in mouselook. I was wondering what it was refering to - today that too worked fine.

Edited by Fionalein

I think the new Realms are extremely PRET-TY and well done. I like that the crystals are buried (seems more natural). I didn't like the chewing rock monsters (any more than I liked some of the glytch attacks) as it was kind of gruesome and I am not big on gruesome. 

I only got through a few sims as I never seemed to find the correct path to the next ones.  Sure it would be easier after the learning curve is over. There were a lot more green crystals but fewer overall -- at least in the sims I was in.  It won't be a place I will go and hang out or anything but I think it was a very SMART move on The Labs part since it will definitely cut down on the cheaters (seems so anyway) and I would suspect that the money "sink" would be MUCH LESS.  

I may venture back again to explore more. I WOULD like to see it all. I never found the letter with the clue but I probably never got to the correct sim LOL.   

Anyway kudos to Patch and the team for some very nice work IMHO. 

• Like 1

After a day of new LR I decide to side with the Brazilians who posted in here before:

Here's my resume of the new LR: Thank you for slapping me in the face, LDPW. O.o The new Realms are a lag fest - even when I was alone on LR41 I had severe problems in reaction time after pressing any key (for most time it worked but it won't help when you loose control midflight on your way tho the next stepstone due to a sudden lagspike). I managed to do the first 3 amulet parts, I managed to find the 4th one, but had to realize the last stepstones had a shortened distance to jump where you have to finetune how long you press forward during the jump. This is almost impossible to do so across the pond. And this time unlike part 3 there is no respawn nearby, you have to find all your way through the caves again. @Linden Lab Did you even test it? I mean not in your ivory tower of lab, no, out in the streets by logging in with an ordinary DSL connection by let's say sending an employee with a laptop to the next Internet Cafe in town?

Whom do you try to attract? All in all this game now only attracts those who try really desperately or who have a superfast connection and a powerful computer - this is not your regular userbase. Sure now it is full of folks trying - but that only is until they realize they stand no chance. This Jump and Run nonsense is what kept me from trying PaleoQuest ever again, and it will keep me from trying out much more Linden Realms. I daresay the interest in the Realms will soon decline as ordinary people will move on to something else. Who will remain are the lucky few with both a good connection and machine and the "I'm no quitter" maniacs... while the first ones are OK as they are mostly folks like you and me, the second kind will soon make the new Realms an as unpleasant place to be in as the old ones were.

To those that claim it will keep away cheaters: No it won't - IMHO it is only possible to do with either extreme luck or cheating. So while less folks will collect the crystals now I wager the cheater percentage will even rise now.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

I think it's great!.

Looks great, Sounds great and the quests are kinda fun... the goggles were a neat idea!.

There's even some Easter eggs and throw backs to the old realms scattered around for the adventurous to stumble into, some familiar perils from the glytches, and the story line had a fun little twist at the end, I'm sure a few things here and there are gonna change over time as it's such a huge change from the last realms, but it's also a great example of what we can do in SL while not blowing the performance and keeping the theme and content appealing.

I play my SL in 4k, 3840x2160, the new realms give me much better frame rates and performance.

(OMG thank you for setting the grass to MASK and not Blend!)

In in Australia playing on ADSL2+.

The only real lag and loss of performance in there was loading all the Catwa heads and Maitreya Bodies and Sking...

We can't blame LL for that, They didn't crush the LOD's on my head to cheat LI and upload fee's, and... I'd rather see that than piece meal panda prims who are just alts farming free tier without even PIOF because are too ashamed to bring their actual avatar and be seen getting free money.

I was never so much interested in the $L's, sure, they rock and help but I'd happily use an explorer mode in there for no crystals like Horizons just to enjoy the themes, though I've already been asked by a few people how to add PIOF so maybe that's working too.

Either way, I had a load of fun seeing new stuff, Thanks LL and LDPW!

• Moles

14 hours ago, Fionalein said:

After a day of new LR I decide to side with the Brazilians who posted in here before:

Here's my resume of the new LR: Thank you for slapping me in the face, LDPW. O.o The new Realms are a lag fest - even when I was alone on LR41 I had severe problems in reaction time after pressing any key (for most time it worked but it won't help when you loose control midflight on your way tho the next stepstone due to a sudden lagspike). I managed to do the first 3 amulet parts, I managed to find the 4th one, but had to realize the last stepstones had a shortened distance to jump where you have to finetune how long you press forward during the jump. This is almost impossible to do so across the pond. And this time unlike part 3 there is no respawn nearby, you have to find all your way through the caves again. @Linden Lab Did you even test it? I mean not in your ivory tower of lab, no, out in the streets by logging in with an ordinary DSL connection by let's say sending an employee with a laptop to the next Internet Cafe in town?

Whom do you try to attract? All in all this game now only attracts those who try really desperately or who have a superfast connection and a powerful computer - this is not your regular userbase. Sure now it is full of folks trying - but that only is until they realize they stand no chance. This Jump and Run nonsense is what kept me from trying PaleoQuest ever again, and it will keep me from trying out much more Linden Realms. I daresay the interest in the Realms will soon decline as ordinary people will move on to something else. Who will remain are the lucky few with both a good connection and machine and the "I'm no quitter" maniacs... while the first ones are OK as they are mostly folks like you and me, the second kind will soon make the new Realms an as unpleasant place to be in as the old ones were.

To those that claim it will keep away cheaters: No it won't - IMHO it is only possible to do with either extreme luck or cheating. So while less folks will collect the crystals now I wager the cheater percentage will even rise now.

I'm sorry you were having lag issues. We load tested the game with as many as 20 players in a region running, bumping into things, dying, collecting crystals and playing the quests. We were using the same computers and internet connections we use as residents in our normal everyday SL lives. They are all your average laptops and desktops. (I wish I could afford a superfast gaming rig and FIOS. I really do.) Locations of people testing varied from multiple parts of Europe, North and South America. I ran as many as 5 instances of the viewer with testing alts accounts all playing simultaneously. We monitored the framerates, simulator resources and time dilation and watched for any noticeable lag during all of our tests. I personally tested the game on both my desktop and my laptop, over cable internet, DSL, a sketchy wifi connection, and even tethered to my phone's wifi hotspot. In some cases I reduced my graphics settings accordingly, but I never found there to be significant lag while playing. It wasn't enough to prevent me from being able to play, anyway. It actually made the lag in many other places more noticeable to me when I would leave and go just about anywhere else in SL. So you shouldn't be having any more lag issues in the new Linden Realms than in the rest of SL. In fact it should be better than most places in that regard. We obviously don't have any control over what other residents wear, but then again we all have the ability to control maximum avatar complexity in the viewer's graphics preferences. Try the game with your graphics at a lower setting and see if that improves performance. We tried to make sure the game looked decent at lower graphics settings too.

And yeah, that last jump is a nasty one. It still gets me most of the time too, but that's part of the challenge.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

And yeah, that last jump is a nasty one. It still gets me most of the time too, but that's part of the challenge.

"most of the time" is relative, my experience so far however is absolute : "always". This raises the question of how often you think folks should try? Because apparently the LDPW is getting old... This is 2018, we are not in our youth of the 80s anymore. Trying a whole day to do that last jump to finish the final level is something that appeals only to few of us - it even appealed only to few of us back then. Same as the glytches game. I play it occasionaly for a year now and still do only have 4 blue crystals (15 are needed for that last improvement). Your games seem designed for hardcore gamers. Please be aware that those a just a very small subset of the SL population.

I saw you greatly increased the availability of green and blue crystals. So those who can finish the game will cash out more. Please understand that this also just increases the frustration of those that won't be able to. 

PS: @Abnor MoleThe secret passage access in LR41 right now looks broken - please fix it, it worked in the other Realms mirror sim however

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

The goggles in the desert do not rezz or work in LR 182.  Its been like this for 24 h ours.  Impossible to complete the 2nd Quest this way.  Have to keep going back to the portal and hope we get transported to a sim copy of LR that works.  Please fix it, many frustrated when they finally get to the desert and find they wasted their time.

THanks

1 hour ago, Kiwi Runo said:

Green and blue crystals became much more than before. It's a bug?

In some areas it seems that way - I collected 232 green and 50 blue crystals the first day, in just 3 hours.  But who cares?   The color means nothing if you can never complete the 4 quests now. Might as well be collecting sand. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

• Moles
4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

The goggles in the desert do not rezz or work in LR 182.  Its been like this for 24 h ours.  Impossible to complete the 2nd Quest this way.  Have to keep going back to the portal and hope we get transported to a sim copy of LR that works.  Please fix it, many frustrated when they finally get to the desert and find they wasted their time.

THanks

If something becomes broken, let us know and we'll try to fix it as soon as possible and figure out what is causing it and how to keep it from happening. In the meantime, you can go back through the Portal Park and try to get into one of the other instances (there are 6 currently). 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

THanks

I when to  LR 182 to test and its still broken, I got them before first time i completed all the quest but not sure what sim it was at the first time

Just tried in LR 2 and got the glasses there

Edited by Lexia Moonstone

13 minutes ago, romeoxdd said:

now I see few green and blue crystals. and oranges are hard to find. I do not like the update of the game

Looks like blue and green are like the old game,  not surprised, I was shocked how easy they were to find at first.  I loved getting the easy free L$ but not expecting to to rain L$ all the time. I'm thinking of it as a bonus round.  My guess they gave out more to stress test it to get more people playing at one time.  A few more orange would be nice with the blue and green back to normal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Lexia Moonstone said:

Now the maps are bigger and it's harder to play. I do not get blue and green. and it is very difficult to gather oranges.The stones they chew malfunction, I was running away from one of them, I was bitten, but I was far away. the moving sands are also wrong, you run close to him and also drag you inside

Edited by romeoxdd
  • Like 1

Well I had fun.   The Me's played it a again and again.    I like that it is mostly Questing with some crystal farming along the way.   Makes ya want to not just stick to the shortest distance between quests.     Nice that some little bits of the old LR are stuck in there as lookets. 

/me pouts because I gotta wait a week to quest again

33 minutes ago, Lexia Moonstone said:

..... the blue and green back to normal.... 

If Greens at low rate, might really need to rethink needing a green to complete Quest One: Forest.     Exploration is fun, but I will be there to Play.   Not to spend 20 to 30 min on 'The Hunt for One Green'.   There is OTHER stuff to do.      Especally if ima hafta compete with confused non PIOF's that are busy farming a crop of Nada.

I do like that can map tp back to the basecamp.   Stray Explorers do get stuck in some of the mesh mesas.    :D

Edited by StrayWanderer
silly buttons
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.