Vanishing Threads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As predicted but rather than just roll back the thread, the whole thread got nuked.

That's very questionable moderation as the original question was valid, responses discussed but for one person who simply could not remain polite in their responses.

The quality of moderation has never improved. *sighs*

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

What thread was that?

Are you sure it wasn't just moved to a different category?

Usually if one person is being objectionable, that person's post will be removed, not the whole thread.

Actually you shouldn't name it in case it was removed. Carrying on a discussion from a thread that was removed is a no no, as is questioning anything the moderators might have done.

Edited by Phorumities
apostrophes r ur friend

It might have been my doing. The person was being repetitively objectionable by continually resorting to what the mods call 'masked profanity' at anyone who disagrees. Very recently, a mod posted that masking foul language by replacing some letters with dots or whatever is still profanity, and is not acceptable. So, since the person was being very objectionable in that way, I reported the posts where it occured. The first post I reported had the part replaced by a message from the moderator, but there were several more yesterday, and I guess the fact that it was continual tipped it over the edge. I may not have been the only one to report the profanities, but I did report them.

Perhaps the thread has been hidden (they can do that) pending it being sanitised. It certainly had plenty of good discussion and information in it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is the root of “sanitized”, “sane”/“sanity”? Sorry, can’t multi-quote on phone.

root is sanus, Latin for healthy, sanitare is Latin for "making somone/something healthy" and "to sanitize" is the English loan word based on sanitare

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Hey folks!

As mentioned previously, threads/posts directly questioning moderation actions is not something we allow so I will be closing this. However, I do want to thank all of you for your feedback! There will definitely be some discussion to see what we can do to improve on moderation practices and improve the experience for everyone. We certainly don't want to stifle discussions and want to preserve threads when we can, but we do have to enforce the Terms of Service and Community Guidelines.

Bypassing the profanity filter is generally not a good idea, and we encourage everyone to be civil to your fellow forum posters even if you disagree with them. Otherwise posts/threads may be subject to moderation if they escalate to the point where we need to step in.

In short:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.