Hello fellow Second Life™ residents!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everybody.

Although I have been in Second Life™ since early 2007, this is my very first post here in the forums. My inability to log in to Second Life™ today has led me to browse the website and find other ways to interact with other residents. I've always known that a forum exists but never really paid much attention to it until now.

I'm really glad that I started reading some of the interesting topics of discussion and look forward to sharing my point of view.

If any other residents using Mac OS X are having trouble logging on with the latest viewer 2.6.3 please visit this Jira page and share your comments so that we can speed up the process of pushing the Lindens to fix the issue.

Since I am unable to get in-world because I refuse to use a v1 viewer and do not like any of the TPV's, I'll go back to browsing the forums and hopefully I'll find some more interesting topics to discuss. I may even find some more friends, who knows? :smileyhappy:

i hope you're all enjoying Second Life™ as much as I am - Let's keep this amazing virtual world alive and kicking! xxx

since it's so nice to see pleasant people here, I not only checked out you jira even though I don't own a mac, but I also peeked at the logs....

all I can say is OUCH..... strict Crash To Desktop and almost no useful information.... the log just STOPS, which only tells LL vaguely where the problem occurred, but not the problem was... never a good sign =/

you could always roll back one version and see if that works for you.... it's not like avatar physics are all that special, and the fix/change list was pretty minor.

Actually, I might have the answer to your problem. My wife has a Mac, and she could not log in usin SL V 2.6.3.

There is a known issue with it. So your best bet right now is to get V 2.2. Why V 2.2? Because if you get V 2.6.2 it will end up continously asking you to upgrade! It is very ridiculous, but what can you do?

As for now, I hope LL will get to it soon. Seems many others have the same issue.

Welcome to the forums David! I use Mac OS too and thanks for the warning.... I haven't tried the latest viewer release yet, but if it conflicts on Mac OS than I guess I won't bother.

I'm currently using version 2.2.0.212097 on Mac OS without any difficulty logging in...

If you go back & download some previous version of 2.x, I'm sure you can get inworld! Best of luck!

davidventer wrote:

Since I am unable to get in-world because I refuse to use a v1 viewer and do not like any of the TPV's, I'll go back to browsing the forums and hopefully I'll find some more interesting topics to discuss. I may even find some more friends, who knows? :smileyhappy:

That's different. Most people who express a view refuse to use the V2 viewer (until LL forces it) but you refuse to use the V1, to the extent of not being able to log in, even though you've used it most of you SL life. Why?

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I'm quite enjoying the forums already! :smileyhappy:

In response to your question Phil: I am a big fan of change and improvement and personally I love the v2 interface and functionality, especially the way that outfit sets are being handled. In the old viewer items were moved or copied to a saved outfit folder. If you had no copy items you could only have them in one outfit folder. On the v2 however all items are linked, not moved or copied. So your inventory stays clean without hundreds of duplicates and you can have no-copy items in more than one outfit. I also enjoy being able to open all my textures and flip through them with ease without opening one by one or without using a laggy texture viewer hud. The sidebar and new web profiles are a personal favorite and I also love the way chat and notifications are being handled in v2.

For me to go back to v1 would feel like moving from Mac OS X to Windows 3.11 or from using an iPhone to a first generation Motorola brick. My return to Second Life™ is in large part due to v2 - Personally I love it. I understand that any new technology would have bugs and issues. Remember how bad v1 was back in the day? It took Linden Lab a while to iron out all the kinks, the same will happen with v2 but instead of degrading the hard working technicians and refusing to use the new technology I will embrace and support it because it makes my Second Life™ so much easier to live.

I strongly believe that viewer use is a personal preference as with cellphones and computer operating systems and Linden Lab understands this otherwise they would not have allowed any TPV's to connect to the grid. Each to their own. Personally I love v2 and I will stick with it!

I always say: Instead of moaning about bugs and functionality issues, do something constructive by opening a Jira about your issue and if it is really an issue and others feel the same way as you do about it then something will be done, eventually. We all love Second Life™ and it is important for us all to stay positive, constructive and supportive of Linden Lab. Let's help to track down bugs and issues instead of sitting on the fence complaining and not doing anything about it. That's how I feel and I really wish that more residents would feel the same way instead of openly degrading the creators of this place that many of us call home.

you might want to try Firestorm, is a TPV based on Viewer 2, is not updated to the last version of viewer 2, its in alpha stage, but its viewer 2 modified, so it might be pretty stable, and you may be able to log in

it includes some extra abilities that you may like

here are links to the latests versions of Firestorm if you are interested on trying it out

Windows | Mac | Linux Debian | Linux Ubuntu

Welcome to the forums, David!

Always nice to hear from fellow Mac users. I'm sorry to hear of your issues. I have been lucky and have had a problemfree experience with 2.6.3. It could be that we have different equipment, but I find it strange how different running the same viewer can be for different people.

I also agree with you in regards to viewer 2 compared to viewer 1. It would definitely feel like a step back to 'downgrade'. I like viewer 2 for the most part. A few irks, but mostly good.

And yes, I too enjoy SL very much. It's a great place!

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.