Linden homes suggestion

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Choose by map
Currently when you want a linden home you are given one, in the style of your choice, based on what they offer, randomly. You dont like where it is you abandon it and try again. Why not let people use the map to select a home and if its available they can view it and then purchase it from standing on the land instead of via the website? Ive sometimes gone to 4 or more homes..sometimes 8 before finding one where its least awful. Most awful being no matter where I turn all I see is someone elses house just like RL. 

I seriously don't like living in the middle of everyone else. makes me feel claustrophobic. I like to be near the water. what can I say Im a pisces.

It would be first come first serve as opposed to random and thus fair. You could still opt for random if you do not care. 

Select by region name
Id also like this option because sometimes I get assigned a random house of the style I chose in a region with a name that really makes me cringe. so I might like where the house is but not want it because the region name is not my style.

Would it really be so hard to let the user select by region name and have available homes show on the map highlighted in some way? Or use a search criteria that allows for selecting from available homes near water? I know some folks prefer mountains I just need water! Both would be nice and yes I know we can abandon linden homes and go rent somewhere. But its not all that easy to find a nice place where the rents are not as high as RL and where your neighbor isnt the ugliest home builder or marketing stalker with invasive ads destroying the view.

What about themed regions with an HOA style guides?  
I guess Id like to see linden make some land available for the sole purpose of homes that we can build ourselves but have an HOA so that my country home doesnt end up next to your castle or your god awful bill board. Make the linden home SIM be themed. So for example you like asian decor but you dont want linden homes because they all look alike. maybe you want the asian themed SIM and your home, the one you build or place, matches the HOA for that themed sim. Maybe you would rather put down a 512 castle in a medieval themed sim than have a 512 1960s themed linden block house like the ones we have now. but you dont want everyone to have the same exact 4 castles do you? And isnt it better if your castle is in a medieval landscape of homes rather than a hodge podge of anything goes? So, lets go HOA and there is a lot of unique castle building that can go on.

I personally would like a space where anyone can have a modern home. Say from the 1800s to current. I might have a 1912 country prairie and you might have a 1040s Frank Lloyd Write. Same footprint allowance but the home of our dreams. No castles. No space age. No dragons. No rocket ships. no cavemen. NO BILL BOARDS or other unhomely crap.

just my two bits. dreaming out loud.

42 minutes ago, Tenly said:

Choose by map
Currently when you want a linden home you are given one, in the style of your choice, based on what they offer, randomly. You dont like where it is you abandon it and try again. Why not let people use the map to select a home and if its available they can view it and then purchase it from standing on the land instead of via the website? Ive sometimes gone to 4 or more homes..sometimes 8 before finding one where its least awful. Most awful being no matter where I turn all I see is someone elses house just like RL. 

I seriously don't like living in the middle of everyone else. makes me feel claustrophobic. I like to be near the water. what can I say Im a pisces.

It would be first come first serve as opposed to random and thus fair. You could still opt for random if you do not care. 

on why it is random

if it were not random then all the water and park parcels would have been snapped up years ago. All that would be left for people coming in today would be the interior parcels

• Like 4

It would be first come first served. You sell blue socks and red socks. you dont randomly tell people what socks they get to purchase. Its first come first served.

21 hours ago, ellestones said:

on why it is random

if it were not random then all the water and park parcels would have been snapped up years ago. All that would be left for people coming in today would be the interior parcels

8 hours ago, Tenly said:

You sell blue socks and red socks. you dont randomly tell people what socks they get to purchase. Its first come first served.

in your OP you start about several options, and now you limit it to socks color.
Just to prevent your first come idea its assigned random. In real estate color is a nice thing, but location is of more impotance.

As Ellis said... all better locations never would be available. Good choice by LL to assign it as they do.

Also, if you could pick a home yourself it would open the door to a unwanted market, people could start try selling their home.
I know not transferable, but "we'r leaving, make a offer and  we'll hit the abandon button while you'r here for 5K L$.. hit the home choice button, and it's yours

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I thought Linden Homes were designed as a transitory "first step" of home/land ownership before going out into the big bad world and getting your own place.

That's the reason they are ugly little boxes crammed side by side. Eventually you'll get tired of it and go build a "real house" somewhere else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

in your OP you start about several options, and now you limit it to socks color.
Just to prevent your first come idea its assigned random. In real estate color is a nice thing, but location is of more impotance.

As Ellis said... all better locations never would be available. Good choice by LL to assign it as they do.

Also, if you could pick a home yourself it would open the door to a unwanted market, people could start try selling their home.
I know not transferable, but "we'r leaving, make a offer and  we'll hit the abandon button while you'r here for 5K L$.. hit the home choice button, and it's yours

Wow that transaction requires a level of trust I don't think I'd want to chance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

I dont agree that it wold allow people to sell their linden home by making prearrangements with other people to sit on it. Linden does not put a home back on the market in a matter of moments. its unavailable for a time until at least it gets swept. and maybe even longer. So all they would have to do is put a timer on it that prevents it from being abandoned and then swept up as you are suggesting. first come first served maintained.

No part of my comment was about estates having color. You did not understand my example regarding socks. But since you bring up real estate. try imagining in RL that you can only have a house assigned to you when you want to purchase. You cant live where you want. you will live where you are assigned. Maybe that will help you understand the reference to socks.

And as you said location is important. Thats no different in SL than in RL. Im sorry you can't understand that.

Edited by Tenly
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 3:23 AM, Phorumities said:

I thought Linden Homes were designed as a transitory "first step" of home/land ownership before going out into the big bad world and getting your own place.

That's the reason they are ugly little boxes crammed side by side. Eventually you'll get tired of it and go build a "real house" somewhere else.

I don't know why they were originally designed. I do believe it was restricted because people who owned sims had a fit about it. Saying SL was going to prevent them from making money by giving people their own homes.

The problem is that these sim owners are over-priced and often NOT what the renter is looking for. Or, they end up leaving SL and you are constantly having to look for another place. Not to mention that you might start out with a totally lovely view only to have it blocked by some ugly castle or giant blinging sex bill board. Or worse a mall. Which means more avatars and slower loads.

At least with Linden estates there is the hope of having a neighborhood thats more stable. My ideal would be a plot in an SL estate with an HOA that gives you guidelines for how big your home can be and a little more loosely based style. so maybe its limited to houses, whatever style you want, but NO castles, no fantasy, no scifi. Or maybe its themed so you could have any kind of medieval house or castle you want. Or, limited to whatever sci fi or fantasy home you want. Still themed but not so cloned as what linden homes is now.

Id settle for them adding some more options. Like a country home with a nice wrap around porch. A garden space. a drive way for the car. A little place to plant some veges. Yes, Ive had that out in the big bad world. but as noted, never lasts long. And I end up losing everything I had. Im tired of having to start over. Plus, I really don't like the high cost of renting. too much like RL and the struggle to keep a roof over ones head due to all the gentrifying and mayors who refuse to let a city boundary expand.

I know what I want my home in SL to be. I know the neighborhood, landscape Id like to enjoy. Hopefully Im not the only one and Linden is listening.

So I can't see your wishes coming true since that means MORE "policing" (in the question of themed areas which while tried, haven't worked out all that well.  

Since Linden Homes were originally designed of NEW folks, the "pick a house style and we'll find you one" is GOOD for them. 

It sounds to me like you very much need to buy your own 1024. You can get some nice spaces -- on water, with view, adjoining Linden lands etc if you are willing to pay for it.  If you have a Linden Home it means you are premium and you don't HAVE to rent. You can buy your own plot and not move for years. 

The new 1024 Linden homes are apparently coming along nicely so perhaps they will be close enough to your criteria. You will still have neighbors of course :D.

15 hours ago, Tenly said:

I don't know why they were originally designed. I do believe it was restricted because people who owned sims had a fit about it. Saying SL was going to prevent them from making money by giving people their own homes.

When Linden Homes were introduced, LL claimed that it would give users some experience in owning their own small plot of land, which would encourage them to go out and get larger plots of land. That's what they claimed and, to some extent, it was true, but it wasn't the reason for the Linden Homes. Linden Homes were introduced to encourage people to get premium accounts, which wasn't an unreasonable thing to do. In fact it was a very sensible thing to do. If some of those new premium members then went out and got larger plots of land, then so much the better - LL would have more income. So Linden Homes were brought in in an effort to sell more premium memberships. And they were an improvement to SL.

It wasn't restricted in any way. LL were never going to give them to non-premium users, and, of course, premium users could have the same amount of land anyway, without needing to rent from a landlord.

Also, it wasn't sim owners who didn't like it. It was land owners who were landlords, and not all landlords owned sims. Some of them thought that they might lose some business on account of Linden Homes, but that's what happens when you're in business. Things change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Nobody can expect the world (SL or RL) to stay the same just so that their business isn't detrimentally affected. Changes are normal, and the business person has to roll with them.

Edited by Phil Deakins

15 hours ago, Tenly said:

My ideal would be a plot in an SL estate with an HOA that gives you guidelines for how big your home can be and a little more loosely based style. so maybe its limited to houses, whatever style you want, but NO castles, no fantasy, no scifi. Or maybe its themed so you could have any kind of medieval house or castle you want. Or, limited to whatever sci fi or fantasy home you want. Still themed but not so cloned as what linden homes is now.

there are many communities on the grid that offer what you tell here, mainland ánd private.

btw if landlords really overprice their product, they will be gone very fast, competition is killing on SL, think you perhaps should try to see the whole package as service, not only the land but also support, landscaping, restarts, many landlords are doing a quite good service with also general SL help.
If you buy mainland, you'r on your own, and only LL support to assist for specific technical questions. For general things you'r better on the forums.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 4:15 PM, Chic Aeon said:

The new 1024 Linden homes are apparently coming along nicely so perhaps they will be close enough to your criteria. You will still have neighbors of course :D

I know I'm late and I'm sorry for necroposting, but where did you get the information that the new homes will be of the 1024 size?

On 7/6/2018 at 4:15 PM, Chic Aeon said:

So I can't see your wishes coming true since that means MORE "policing" (in the question of themed areas which while tried, haven't worked out all that well.  

Since Linden Homes were originally designed of NEW folks, the "pick a house style and we'll find you one" is GOOD for them. 

It sounds to me like you very much need to buy your own 1024. You can get some nice spaces -- on water, with view, adjoining Linden lands etc if you are willing to pay for it.  If you have a Linden Home it means you are premium and you don't HAVE to rent. You can buy your own plot and not move for years. 

The new 1024 Linden homes are apparently coming along nicely so perhaps they will be close enough to your criteria. You will still have neighbors of course :D.

so they are gonna replace the 512 homes with 1024 homes?

that makes no sence at all if the 512's are meant just to give a taste of home ownership.

and there already are 1024's but they didn't give them away they let land flippers buy them which in a way was a good idea since they probably could have kept adding horizons sims indefinately to meet flipper demand.

Edited by Phorumities
spelling

36 minutes ago, Marth Coberts said:

I know I'm late and I'm sorry for necroposting, but where did you get the information that the new homes will be of the 1024 size?

SL15B official videos I am pretty sure. The one with Patch. Ebbe had said something earlier in another interview. The 512 ones will apparently not disappear or be replaced but added to.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

so they are gonna replace the 512 homes with 1024 homes?

that makes no sence at all if the 512's are meant just to give a taste of home ownership.

and there already are 1024's but they didn't give them away they let land flippers buy them which in a way was a good idea since they probably could have kept adding horizons sims indefinately to meet flipper demand.

No, the 512s will still be there (unless of course plans have changed since that was stated quite awhile ago).  There are no 1024 Linden homes. There are only 1024 lots --  and Horizons parcels at 20,000 a plot or so have nothing to do with "starter homes". 

What is still unclear to me is the size of the HOUSES on those lots. Hopefully they won't be humongous since it is pretty difficult to furnish a Linden home (some more than others of course) as it is. It would be nice to have some green space but that is problematic as it could get pretty messy looking. So maybe some places with atriums in the center of the house?  That could be one good plan. And maybe more one story "ranch" styles places. 

We won't know until we see them. 

Official videos, town hall meetings and the like are open and available to everyone. So easy to keep up with the news if you want to. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.