Double prims in parts of Kama City

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some parts of Kama City have double prims, and some don't. Is there some rationale for that?

The result is large, hollow buildings in the single prim area. Someone just put up a nice looking skyscraper, in Empire State Building style, but above the first floor, it's a hollow shell. The place feels sparse.

In the double prim area, someone just built a nice diner, convenience store, and gas station, and those have enough objects to look properly detailed.

All regions have the same amount of land capacity.

A multiplayer can be set on the region that allows parcels to have more that the normal amount of land capacity, however so the region doesn't run out should you try to use more than the region total, you have to limit the number of items placed on some parcels in order to leave more for those that will be used as "double prim".

A good example would be the Horizons regions. Each is divided into a number of "double prim" 1024 plots separated by a lot of low prim linden owned infrastructure (roads and the like). The region total land capacity remains the same, the biggest parcel has minimal use with enough left over to allow the 1024 plots to have a higher than default allocation.

Edited by CoffeeDujour

Specific to Kama City, I think you'll find most of the double-primmed sims (Wendersley, Broadwater, Osbourne Walk, etc) have large Linden-owned water areas containing only very sparse content. 

Kama City is somewhat odd in that it's "urban zoned" (no terraforming, no parcel join/divide) and contains a lot of Linden content (roads, etc.), but on most of its regions the resident-owned parcels are single-primmed. That's in contrast to the Nova Albion, Nautilus City, and Bay City urban areas, and the already-mentioned Horizons regions for example. Some other Zindra regions outside Kama City are double-primmed without the urban-zoning restrictions, again usually in watery locations.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

You must look at the place's covenant... usually it is allowed to deface the places. Your neighbours will not like you but if the covenant hs no restrictions... if you wnat to be a good nighbour put it at some reasonable height to tsay out of sight ( or implant it in the scenery I guess no one would object an UFO shaped skybox in Horizons for example)

Edited by Fionalein

I don't know if there really is any "true covenant" on any mainland.  There are preferences, but I'm not sure if any of it is actually enforcable since it is Mainland.

That said, if dealing with a 'themed' area and if you skybox doesn't necessarily fit the theme, then I would suggest putting it quite high - definitly above 500m and I'd probably even go 1000-1500m.

2 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Does anyone know if you are allowed to have a skybox and  to edit land in  any of the mainland communities that offer double prims with twice the  normally allowable land impact ?

On Mainland[*] you can always have a skybox but as Lil suggested, please keep it way above ground; anybody who has shadows enabled will understand why that's important to ground-dwellers, but it also benefits the skybox environment to be at least a few draw-distances from anything else, especially the ground.

The only terraformable double-primmed Mainland I know of is on Zindra, where there are several regions including for example Laffoon, Demelo and Fishergate. Those locations tend to be pricey.

[* EDIT - Not including Linden Homes continents where skyboxes are explicitly forbidden by covenant. Also, I'm not sure about Brown, Boardman, and De Haro regions, which are handled very differently from the rest of Mainland, so they may restrict skyboxes, too, I'm not sure.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

[* EDIT - Not including Linden Homes continents where skyboxes are explicitly forbidden by covenant. Also, I'm not sure about Brown, Boardman, and De Haro regions, which are handled very differently from the rest of Mainland, so they may restrict skyboxes, too, I'm not sure.]

I own land in Brown, which has the same covenant as Boardman. They are not allowed, the covenant says all buildings must be attached to the ground, and that will apparently be enforced. I know some rental tenants there have them. In my experience LL does not respond to reports of breaches of the covenant in Brown (and no, I have not bothered reporting silly things like skyboxes which don't effect me), which is a shame because people pay extra for land there because there is a covenant. So I might go forth with my post apocalyptic / zombie build there j/k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

which is a shame because people pay extra for land there because there is a covenant.

I thought so and that makes me wonder why they droped the Horizons one (OK besides the fact that it was a pretty unpopular choice for theme to start with)

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I own land in Brown, which has the same covenant as Boardman. They are not allowed, the covenant says all buildings must be attached to the ground, and that will apparently be enforced.

I just flew all around Brown, clicking on the land info here and there.  All of them showed no covenant (shown below), which would explain why LL isn't actually enforcing anything.

image.png.d4167d863e426fb8bededb3f3a70093e.png

Boardman shows the same thing and ditto for De Haro, thus I'm not sure any sort of supposed covenant could actually be enforced there either.  These areas may claim a covenant, but if the land doesn't show such, then it isn't really enforcable.

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Covenants much be enforced. Themed locations present a very difficult subjective burden on support staff.

It's great that groups of residents have banded together in some sims to do what the Labs aren't resourced to do. Boardman would be the shining example of that, and Iris is great and it doesn't even have a covenant. Small parts of Bay City look amazing and are probably as LL envisaged, the rest of it.... not so much.

I imagine it was quite hard for the Boardman Preservation Society to acquire so much land there. The old Ingrid Ingersoll and Barnesworth Anubis builds are stunning and I really wish you could still get them (if anyone knows if some of them are still available anywhere, please let me know!). But despite the efforts of the society, some other land owners have put up ugly builds that do meet the covenant rules (as is their right, they probably think they look great), so I don't believe it's possible to have a truly themed sim on the mainland unless one individual or group owns all the land. And one point about Boardman is that it doesn't really have a "lived in" feel, so the preservation is only aesthetic.

Despite some of the themed locations not quite working out as intended, I still think it would be great if LL took this kind of more planned approach for future sims. The suburbs are a free for all but still very appealing with their suburban streets. Sims without roads are pretty awful in my opinion, and it's beyond me why they have released so many dreadful wastelands.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just flew all around Brown, clicking on the land info here and there.  All of them showed no covenant (shown below), which would explain why LL isn't actually enforcing anything.

Oh yes, sorry, covenant is the wrong word. It is zoning guidelines, provided in a notecard. It says that the regulations will be enforced.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.