Shopping from a HUD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What honestly pisses me off are those events where you don't only get a teleport rerout but flying is disabled, forcing you to walk/run and wasting your time. I do have flying after tp enabled but the moment I want to try out a piece of furniture to see the animations in it I'm done flying unless I leave and come back.

The same goes for large stores that have their own sim, I've noticed a lot of skin creators doing this and some furniture places too. What the heck is the point of that other than to slow your customers down until they get frustrated enough to just leave?!

In addition to all that the loading times that have been severally mention in this thread is the worst problem of it all. It's not only fairs either, some stores are extreme in that case and it makes shopping nearly impossible. I am not a very patient person when it comes to loading things and chances are I'll give it a few minutes and then I'll just leave and take my Linden with me.

The shopping experience in world in general has detoriated severely. It's freaking shameful because shopping is such a huge and integral part of SL yet it's hardly ever fun anymore. The MP sucks worse of course but at least it loads fast. I have no doubt that this has driven a lot of folks to give up on SL or they just don't shop in world anymore, it's no wonder MP sales are flourishing in comparison to in world sales. (For most merchants that is, not all!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

What honestly pisses me off are those events where you don't only get a teleport rerout but flying is disabled, forcing you to walk/run and wasting your time. I do have flying after tp enabled but the moment I want to try out a piece of furniture to see the animations in it I'm done flying unless I leave and come back.

The same goes for large stores that have their own sim, I've noticed a lot of skin creators doing this and some furniture places too. What the heck is the point of that other than to slow your customers down until they get frustrated enough to just leave?!

In addition to all that the loading times that have been severally mention in this thread is the worst problem of it all. It's not only fairs either, some stores are extreme in that case and it makes shopping nearly impossible. I am not a very patient person when it comes to loading things and chances are I'll give it a few minutes and then I'll just leave and take my Linden with me.

The shopping experience in world in general has detoriated severely. It's freaking shameful because shopping is such a huge and integral part of SL yet it's hardly ever fun anymore. 

Exactly what I'm saying! Hi5!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jules Catlyn said:

What a lot of people seem to forget is that the more event driven or automated shopping in Second Life becomes, the less creators feel the need to have a shop on owned or rented land. If main shops disappear so do many destinations.

This is why I like the idea of a HUD that shows me a decent sized picture of the event item (like the Fly By Friday HUD) and then TPs me to the store.

43 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Firestorm has a "Fly Override" feature that I turn on as soon as I log in every time (really wish I could set it permanently).  The setting lets you go back to flying even if flight is disabled where you are at.  So even after you land somewhere, you can still go back to flying.

However, some sims/stores have started using scripts to detect if you are flying and they will boot you if detected.  If it is not a RP place where 'no flying' makes sense, then those places go on my "never shop there again" list.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, some sims/stores have started using scripts to detect if you are flying and they will boot you if detected.  If it is not a RP place where 'no flying' makes sense, then those places go on my "never shop there again" list.

That's just weird for a shop, unless the creator has a den of iniquity up in a skybox she is trying to hide. But even with that well stocked dungeon, banning flying isn't going to stop people peeking at her latex collection.

HUD shopping has been attempted several times over the past few years. They've lasted so briefly that I can't remember any of their names. One focused on shoes, 21 something or other. Then one came out that had three categories, sales, half off, and normal. It was a huge HUD. It didn't last long. There have been others but as I said the names escape me because they just haven't lasted long enough to make an impression. I'm not keen on using a HUD to tp around to mainstores for shopping. I'd much rather have everything in one location. 

I love event shopping. I go within the first couple of hours of opening. I go, grab a ton of demos, run back home, try them on and make a list of what I want to buy. Then I tp back, again within hours of the event opening, to make my purchases. I am premium and that does help me to get in but this has been my practice since way before they offered the premium perk. I use the 'render only friends' feature in Firestorm so don't have rezzing issues at all. I do move off the landing point, though not far, and cam shop always. 

I will occasionally visit the main stores of those brands that make an impression on me from the various events I frequent. 

No one is going to keep me from flying anywhere.One of the main reasons I keep the advanced menu visible is to use the fly override option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

That's just weird for a shop, unless the creator has a den of iniquity up in a skybox she is trying to hide. But even with that well stocked dungeon, banning flying isn't going to stop people peeking at her latex collection.

I actually had a store owner ask me how I was flying.  I didn't admit to the Fly Override setting, but simply said that I TP'd in flying and hadn't landed yet.  The store owner then proceeded to tell me that they disabled flying to prevent prying eyes from seeing the Work In Progress and thus stealing their designs.  I truly LOL in RL.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

No one is going to keep me from flying anywhere.One of the main reasons I keep the advanced menu visible is to use the fly override option.

There are places now that are actually using scripts to detect the flying and will give you some message about flying not being allowed and boot you home, just like a freakin security system.  The few I've encountered didn't even give me a message with a warning time - just a flat boot home.  Needless to say, they will never get any of my L$.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There are places now that are actually using scripts to detect the flying and will give you some message about flying not being allowed and boot you home, just like a freakin security system.  The few I've encountered didn't even give me a message with a warning time - just a flat boot home.  Needless to say, they will never get any of my L$.

Silly of them. Do they think those of us who have been in SL any time at all don't know how to cam? LOL .. I can stand on the ground and cam up to the highest skyboxes and see inside. There is no such thing as privacy in SL! Flying only benefits me in that I can move much more quickly flying than walking. I don't know why I still get surprised at how little some know about how SL works, but I do!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

What a lot of people seem to forget is that the more event driven or automated shopping in Second Life becomes, the less creators feel the need to have a shop on owned or rented land. If main shops disappear so do many destinations. This will slowly kill off part of Second Life. Many already have a Marketplace shop only, i also see many creators almost exclusively make items for events. In my opinion this isn't helping Second Life stay vibrant and diverse. Adding the option for people to just stay at home and shop via a hud will only lead to more shops and sims closing.

I was just thinking though, since the recent announcement that people don't have to keep MP and inworld prices the same, we could see cheaper prices if you shop at main stores.. eg remove the 5%  MP fee from inworld prices and people might start shopping in the main store more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I was just thinking though, since the recent announcement that people don't have to keep MP and inworld prices the same, we could see cheaper prices if you shop at main stores.. eg remove the 5%  MP fee from inworld prices and people might start shopping in the main store more.

Yeah, after all the creators pay their shop's land (directly or indirectly) to the Lindens on top of that...

Edited by Fionalein

Tried the Fameshed GO hud. It’s not quite what I had in mind. However I like that it takes you to the store and you can walk around lag free and you have the opportunity to pick up things you might not have known they had. Fairs also killed store traffic, so this is a nice way for bringing it back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.