I can see my mesh head but others can't?

Madi Terr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am having an issue where my head is not seen to some people. On my computer I can see my head, however, I occasionally get people telling me they can't see it. Once I relog they can see it. The thing is I never know when this happens because like I said I can always see my head with no problem. So I may just be walking around headless and not know it until someone tells me. Does someone know what I can do to fix this?

9 answers to this question

You likely have two attachments in the same place, your head and something else, hair maybe.

Due to a pretty common SL region crossing/teleporting bug it's pretty important to keep your head and body on dedicated attachment points that are not used by anything else.

I usually put my body on my right upper thigh as nothing else goes there for me, and I put my head on my left upper thigh. Because these two body parts are rigged it doesn't matter where you attach them, they will go to the correct place when you rez.

The test to prove you were hit by this bug; next time people tell you it's missing, try to detach the head, and you will find you can't

Honestly, it's probably a good idea to rehome all clothing to their own dedicated spots too. Everything attached to the right hand is also problematic, but less so than heads and bodies.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Check where you attached it to, if you attach rigged mesh to HUD places it will appear normal on your avatar, but others cannot see it.

PS: Don't ask me how I found out about this one :D

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Also, check your connection to the SL servers.If your viewer and others' viewers are not rendering the same thing, the problem can be because your viewer and the SL side of things are out of sync.

Open your Viewer Stats (Ctrl-Shift-1) and look for Lost Packets. <1% is OK. Less is better and 0% is typical. If it is higher, your connection could be the problem.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Madi Terr said:

On my computer I can see my head, however, I occasionally get people telling me they can't see it. Once I relog they can see it.

While I don't have an answer, it is possible that you can remedy the situation by trying a few other things before relogging:
1) Under 'Me' (or Avatar in Firestorm), go to Avatar Health and click "Refresh Attachments"
2) Detach and reattach the head

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

You likely have two attachments in the same place, your head and something else, hair maybe.

I knew there was something about this that I was forgetting but was nudging the back of my head.  Not having a mesh head myself, I haven't yet run in to this issue.

Another thing you can do (if you are using Firestorm) is Refresh Attachments. This works a bit like a texture rebake, except its for anything attached to you. I'm not sure if this feature is on the official viewer but in FS you can find it under Avatar Health.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.