how can i gift a friend premium membership?

KingDragonz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

Oh, well then ... you could always send her the money as L$ from your account and have her apply it to upgrading her account.   That's clumsier than just giving her the money outside of SL, though, because it means both of you will end up paying LindeX fees to convert USD to L$ or vice versa.  It's really easier just to ask her for her e-mail account and then do a PayPal transfer to her.

• Thanks 2

Ah alright then. Its a shame they dont have this as a thing to fill out a form for it and then it sends  it itself kind of thing. would be a hell of a lot easier.but then again look how difficult it is just to dress your avatar on here LOL.

9 hours ago, KingDragonz said:

Ah alright then. Its a shame they dont have this as a thing to fill out a form for it and then it sends  it itself kind of thing. would be a hell of a lot easier.but then again look how difficult it is just to dress your avatar on here LOL.

no it would not make things easier, as soon money or subscriptions are involved LL needs to know the RL soursce, and be sure the recurring fees are paid too... a gift would make that impossible. A personal payment method on file is the only thing that will provide that.

If you give a premium, and it expires you would give your friend a total lock out/suspended account.

just a note... if you don't know how to dress your avatar it might be a bit too early to go premium.. get some more experience first?.. premium isn't just a one time pay .. it will automaticly renew after every subscripbed period you chose. IF you pick one and prevent recurring by starting the downgrade you'll have no access to own mainland anymore (starting when you enable the downgrade...not just when the premium ends)

It's very kind of you to want to give a friend a Premium membership.  Unfortunately, it's not really possible.  For a Premium membership, a person has to establish a payment method with Linden Lab...a verified PayPal account or a major credit card.  I suppose you could give someone access to your PayPal account or your credit card, but I do NOT, repeat NOT recommend this.

Alternatively, you could set up an account yourself and make it Premium, and then give your friend the username and password information to log in with it.  Again, I do NOT recommend this.  As the actual account owner, YOU are responsible for everything done with that account.

There are many other ways to show kindness to a friend.  Messing around with SL accounts isn't really one of them.

6 hours ago, KingDragonz said:

actually i simply sent her a prepaid card number. i will continue to reload it for her. :P and i disagree with one of the posts but eh thats their problem not mine. whats important to me is i was able to help my dear friend :)

Mostly for other people's benefit -- this approach will only work by adding the prepaid card to a Verified PayPal account.  LL requires a real credit card (not prepaid or debit) or a Verified PayPal account.  Once the PayPal account is verified (which requires tying it to a bank account or a credit card), you can fund the PayPal account in any way that they'll accept.

On 3/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, KingDragonz said:

Just for historical reference, this was possible about 12 years ago when SL was new and the Patriot Act all all the extra regulations that we have now weren't in force. I have a real life friend who bought a premium membership for another friend (yes really :D) in that time period (the $400 stipend time). I don't think that there was a form. They may actually have called up the office and put it on their credit card. 

But things change and rules change.  They are both still in SL. One is still premium (the giftee).  The other doesn't log in much now that the Realms have gone black. :D. 

8 hours ago, KingDragonz said:

actually i simply sent her a prepaid card number. i will continue to reload it for her. :P and i disagree with one of the posts but eh thats their problem not mine. whats important to me is i was able to help my dear friend :)

Be careful, by doing it her account will be considered YOUR alt, if the card is on your name (unless it's different in your country, prepaid cards need identification right?) I had one issue with LL when I tried using a friend prepaid card (one that was never used) and when her account was locked, mine was too because they thought I was an alt and it took me 3 weeks for their support to accept my ID as proof of ownership of my account.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.