Good idea but I can't make it

Derekmate

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday I had a great idea (like I have different) but I can't make it because I don't have enough sl time, don't have nobody to work with and I have other things to do.  

It is a new type (at least I didn't saw similar)  skill gaming where you really need to use your head.

And know I don't know to leave this sink into know where or try to sell it. What is difficult a bit. 

(The details still need clarifying and recording.)

Btw I just pondering here outloud. 

I had a great idea for a sim and a quest game too, actually two sims and two games with multiple levels.

I don't know how to script or create things but I can buy other people's products, try some scripts, try things, ask questions.

This may seem unbelievable but I spent AN ENTIRE YEAR making my "Shaman's Hut" sim/game/thing. I was HELLA hard because not only am I a very slow learner and unskilled, and also I have a full-time job and family and can't be on all day, I only have say an hour or two a night outside of waiting on my customers. My second idea took MONTHS -- simpler, but again, that same problem of lack of time and skill.

But what I found REALLY HARD is trying to just draw up the narrative, the game dialogue or the steps of the quest. It is VERY HARD. To stay logical, clear, compelling, etc. And I would say I failed. That is, I didn't fail for my own purposes because the very few people who came to my sims and played them all the way through liked them and left me praise and tips. But most people found it too hard or something, or boring.

I found out more of this problem of game-making when I had a job translating for a mobile game developer. They spent months breaking down all the objects and sprites or whatever they are called and their dialogues and whatnot -- I only had to translate this stuff but boy was it complex. I had no idea. It's like at the atomic level going on up to the planets, very complex.

Game developing is way, way harder than it seems from playing them.

What you just said about "not having anyone to work with" is one of the problems of Second Life. On the one hand, you would think this world teeming with interesting and creative people might do that for you -- but it doesn't because the minute you come on the forums somebody snarks at you and shoots you down and ridicules you. The forums are horrible for trying to find positive people to work with, but trying to do events or organize meetings or go to clubs is hard, too. Even so, with persistence, it is possible. There is always this problem, when you have an idea, of whether the skilled person will steal from you. But then there's the other side, which is that the skilled person will be ripped off and exploited by the "idea" man.

I once had an idea for a bowl of sion chicken soup -- well, you had to be here years ago to understand the back story. But by talking on my blog and such someone finally came forward with a deep understanding of chicken soup who made it for me and then I sell it with 50-50 splits, which you can do now on the Marketplace. So if you can't establish trust level or don't know a person you can do it mechanically that way -- although they may till run away with your idea.

I can only tell you that if you have a great idea like you claim to have, you have to be prepared for many days of work and thinking and activity EVEN IF you aren't doing the scripting or Photoshopping. So if you aren't willing to do that, you can't expect much. 

But don't be discouraged. Go and make friends and talk inworld. Find people your own age or culture or whatever for starters, go to events, maybe you will reach your dream.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What you just said about "not having anyone to work with" is one of the problems of Second Life. On the one hand, you would think this world teeming with interesting and creative people might do that for you -- but it doesn't because the minute you come on the forums somebody snarks at you and shoots you down and ridicules you. The forums are horrible for trying to find positive people to work with, but trying to do events or organize meetings or go to clubs is hard, too. Even so, with persistence, it is possible. There is always this problem, when you have an idea, of whether the skilled person will steal from you. But then there's the other side, which is that the skilled person will be ripped off and exploited by the "idea" man.

Sadly, I agree with this 100 percent and it’s just not in the forums it’s in group chats that are supposed to be committed to creation too!

On the flip side, some of the most successful businesses are are actually made up of multiple people.

Its just people being people.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Sadly, I agree with this 100 percent and it’s just not in the forums it’s in group chats that are supposed to be committed to creation too!

On the flip side, some of the most successful businesses are are actually made up of multiple people.

Its just people being people.

Yeah, people can be difficult, at times, in all facets of life. But, I have to say, I have worked on more projects with other people in sl than I can even count at this point. Sometimes it depends on how you ask, what you're asking for, where you're asking, and who you ask-along with whatever you're bringing to the table. Sometimes people approach others in a terrible manner, or with unrealistic expectations including communication, resources, time frames, etc..

I have had people approach me with projects, which I've gladly accepted and worked on with them, only for things to go south quickly due to reasons completely out of my control(and in/at the hands of the person that approached me). I've been blamed for projects going south in some of those instances too, when really it had nothing at all to do with me. I'm always upfront about my capabilities and limitations(resources, knowledge, time, etc..). So I can't be blamed when people want me to work outside of those constraints. But...those instances have been far, far fewer than successful collaborative efforts. So, I take them with a grain of salt, and certainly don't consider them the norm. 

Some projects never get to a good end result because they just can't be completed, by any party, and that can suck at times. It doesn't mean it was a bad idea, just perhaps a difficult, maybe impossible, idea to bring to fruition. It happens, and isn't always reflective of either party(or any in group efforts) doing something wrong, it just happens. If people go into ideas with the understanding that it may go south, it makes things go a heck of a lot smoother, and also makes future endeavors more likely to go smoothly.  But that's just been my experience, I definitely can't speak for others.

As for the OP, you may want to approach someone that already works on skill games, since (and someone correct me if I am wrong) only approved people can really bring these to the grid (depending on the type of skill game, I have noticed some define this differently than LL does). If nothing else, folks that work on such projects might be able to give you insight, or at least point you in some good directions that could prove to be invaluable to seeing your idea come to fruition on the grid. Best of luck to you! I know what it's like to have what I think are great ideas, but never being able to get them off the ground floor(happens a lot for me, actually, but that's mostly because I don't have the capabilities and knowledge that so many others have...of which I am often envious) 

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

My emergency backup mom claims to receive "crap" service from the retail establishments in our neighborhood. I receive stellar service from the very same places. Similarly, I have never had difficulty obtaining help from people anywhere in SL. I find this a warm, welcoming, and helpful place.

My boarder's van gets 22MPG when he drives it about town, 26MPG when I drive it.

I could go on.

• Like 1

Derekmate, you probably need to do some initial heavy lifting if you want to go through with your idea. You'd need to fully understand your game down to the smallest detail. From there you need to break the game down into smaller discrete actions that cover every possibility. A flowchart is a good example. The project can then be worked on one piece at a time or divvied up between multiple people.

On 1/17/2018 at 4:25 PM, Tari Landar said:

As for the OP, you may want to approach someone that already works on skill games, since (and someone correct me if I am wrong) only approved people can really bring these to the grid (depending on the type of skill game, I have noticed some define this differently than LL does). If nothing else, folks that work on such projects might be able to give you insight, or at least point you in some good directions that could prove to be invaluable to seeing your idea come to fruition on the grid. Best of luck to you! I know what it's like to have what I think are great ideas, but never being able to get them off the ground floor(happens a lot for me, actually, but that's mostly because I don't have the capabilities and knowledge that so many others have...of which I am often envious) 

I don't want to make a skill game, though. I don't want some mindless chase through mazes and mills where you collect XP and fill your backpack with tools or swag. I'm simply not interested in repeating the idiocy of much of the game world.

I'm more interested in narrative games that might work more like the old Dungeon & Dragons, although I don't care for that game at all. And I don't really want anyone to make my game idea for me. I want to make it myself because for me, it's a form of story-telling which I want to do, and for me, it's interesting to solve the problems of the mechanics of quests and game-making themselves. It would be great if there was an automatic device that took the keys or tools or loot or whatever into a barrel at the end and spat out a prize. But it's also fun for me to do this manually, talk to people, get feedback etc. Obviously this doesn't scale, but it's all good for now.

I have a wonderful idea for a game but I have already flaked out with two scripters and creators who just weren't diligent. One made things, accepted payment, and disappeared and never resolved the problems in the things he made and never stuck around to make more things. Another was helpful, deployed the scripted game he had already made adapted to my theme and such, but he wasn't interested in my theme or how to solve its problems.

And I don't blame them. Maybe my theme is only interesting to some demographics, and they aren't in them. I've had business partners on an equal basis over the years and some have been really great, especially content and sim creators. Others have been horrible, ranging from stealing outright to just generally being asshats to our clients. Very, very hard mission to accomplish in SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.