mesh smd to sl

jimmythepony

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

19 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, jimmythepony said:

i need know is possible to make a custom body mesh of a smd file to dae file because i dont know use blender very well please reply this topic

It sounds like even IF possible, uploading would be against the terms of service since apparently you did not MAKE the mesh. It is not an easy process (one of the most difficult) so probably best to forget the idea  -- again, read the TOS that you agreed to :D. ALWAYS a good idea. 

SMD is a file extension for a read-only memory (ROM) file extracted from a Sega Mega Drive cartridge. SMD stands for Sega Mega Drive. SMD files contain a copy of a Mega Drive game, which can be used with a Mega Drive emulator. SMD files allow the play of Mega Drive games on other operating systems, including Windows. SMD files are created with a flash cart and software proprietary to the flash cart used.

• Like 3

The intellectual property issue aside, Second Life only allows the import of mesh models in the Collada (.dae) file format.  If you have a model in a different format, you must use software that can export the model as a .dae file.  Many 3D modeling programs, including Blender, LightWave 3D, and Maya, can do this.

6 minutes ago, jimmythepony said:

but i know how to export i need kow if is possible make the mesh in smd file and export to dae file

you are not allowed to upload copyrighted materials, and as the name already says SMD, Sega Mega Drive, you do not own copyrights on that. Don't keep asking.

You'r violating TOS and Guidelines. Risk of banning waits you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:
13 hours ago, jimmythepony said:

ok ok sorry i dont know how the risk was

yes you do , otherwise you wouldn't pass the upload test.

This guy never stated he did, he probably would have AFTER finding out the method to convert the file he is talking about.... quickly answer all questions correct and ignoring the fact that all those questions were pointing to a illegal action he's actually doing, just "ah well it doesn't apply on me/this case because it's me"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

This guy never stated he did, he probably would have AFTER finding out the method to convert the file he is talking about.... quickly answer all questions correct and ignoring the fact that all those questions were pointing to a illegal action he's actually doing, just "ah well it doesn't apply on me/this case because it's me"

Unless it has been re-instituted the long time upload test disappeared some months ago with something simple like a "yes, I know I am responsible" click though replacing it. NOT that the upload test got anyone's real attention of course --- and likely why it was given up. Someone not reading English could still pass just by clicking through a few times with the choices :D. 

• Thanks 1

even when the test isn't as it was before, it doesn't give any space to ignore the rules on SL and even real life laws, and nearly without doubt also mr pony's country laws.

Also, by using SL you accept TOS, but also the Guidelines.

Take your time reading it... it's quite some pages :)

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Official_Information_and_Policies_Portal

• Like 1

It's written on the physical copy, all rights reserved. Even if the game in question was downloaded to run on a emulator, this statement is most likely found in many other files in the game in question. The fact that a person might have 1) bought the game in the past or 2) have acquired it as shareware since it's a quite old game, doesn't imply any legal right on the property of the component contents in your acquisition. Trying to find a way to convert a proprietary format into an object to upload to SL doesn't only show a complete ignorance of all the rules that govern IP protection and SL ToS; It's highlighting a general mindset where the work put in making a model is nothing of value or worth of an Intellectual Property respect, not to mention any money... except those they can get by selling other people's work.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
stray apostrophe
  • Like 4

And, in case the OP simply wants to think of this from the "Well, I probably won't get caught" perspective .... You can never tell what might catch Linden Lab's attention, but posting a question like this in Answers certainly makes them more likely to remember you.  :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

And, in case the OP simply wants to think of this from the "Well, I probably won't get caught" perspective .... You can never tell what might catch Linden Lab's attention, but posting a question like this in Answers certainly makes them more likely to remember you.

Well, "but it's for me alone, i won't sell it" part is lurking there, somewhere... :D

• Like 1

OK, let's please not go imputing every evil motive of every IP thief in the digital world to our poor OP.  He said he'll be good, so let's take him at his word.

You are all correct; these excuses for IP theft are used every day.  What we should not do is go putting all the blame for that on one person.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:53 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

OK, let's please not go imputing every evil motive of every IP thief in the digital world to our poor OP.  He said he'll be good, so let's take him at his word.

I'm sorry, but the sole fact that the OP just thought of taking a model from a game, will always give the feel of someone who doesn't think and respect the work of others as a behavioral base. Because you do so when in your mind "it's just a model" and IP rights are just "petty reasons to prevent me from doing what i want". With this mindset, he'll say he's ok not asking anymore. I'm sure he's searched/searching the internet from the bottom up for such converter/exporter since after his last post, which stated he didn't know what the risks were. I'm sorry again, but i believe that the OP only learned not to ask here for such advise.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2018 at 9:39 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

yes you do , otherwise you wouldn't pass the upload test.

Last time I looked the Upload a Mesh questionnaire had been replaced by a tick-box against I have Read the TOS (or something like that).   The problem with this is with people who don't really understand Legal English.   The Questionnaire was a great idea.  Ah well, progress.....

edit: didn't see that Chic had already said this. Apologies.

Edited by anna2358

On 15/01/2018 at 11:08 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

Well, "but it's for me alone, i won't sell it" part is lurking there, somewhere... :D

In general, in Common Law jurisdictions anyway, 'personal use' is only a privilege in Copyright, not in Intellectual Property in general.  Even the personal use is restricted, and for sure 'recreation' doesn't appear to me to be in the list.  https://ogc.harvard.edu/pages/copyright-and-fair-use is a good read for those that want to understand 'fair use'.

But in any case the SL TOS precludes it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2333 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.