SecondLife-based temple and community for artful spirituality?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Especially now that first life is enduring a small dark age-like winter that seems propagated by ideologically paternalistic cultish regressive forces, there is this sense of SecondLife being one obvious kind of safe harbor and place for communities to organize. What I've been turning over in my mind seems so very obvious that one might expect it's impossible that it hasn't been arrived at by others over and over again already, and yet all of my limited attempts on occasion to identify and connect with any such community on SecondLife seem to have been fruitless so far, with a caveat or two that I will leave set aside.

Has anyone founded a temple to a classic or ancient Goddess and elevated their values in spiritual and philosophically earnest terms, e.g.: not just an artful ediface, but a body of faith, belief, and practice? This could be either an authentic attempt to bring ancient practice forward, or a modern syncretic recreation, but I'm just curious what's out there. I don't see any forums here for spirituality, though that may be (given my specific interest) for the best, since so many incumbent religious systems seem hell-bent on ideologically undermining spiritual gender equity like it's 380AD.

I realize that most of SecondLife is arguably like a secular cult of Artemis et al, and I'm quite curious if anyone's taken a logical next step to build and give the 21st century the kind of non-paternalistic ethos that it so clearly needs for its own spiritual and material salvation.

Edited by Chromal Brodsky
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26 October 2017 at 1:16 PM, Chromal Brodsky said:

Has anyone founded a temple to

If they did, they probably did it in the "Education" subforum, where topics such as this belong, and where nobody ever goes...

Most people come to SL for fun, and most formal "sprituality" education setups are either deliberately anti-fun, or manage to drive fun out by formalising and regulating it to the point where it stops being fun...

What's funny is the less hard I search for it, the more it seems to pop out at me from the margins. :) Hey, people are awesome, and SL is about exploring and uniting humanity's potential. I was feeling a bit angst-ridden the week I posted this originally. I will say, it's hard to meet people on SL, it's become very large, and yet social mobility seems harder than ever, perhaps because of this "needle in the haystack" quality that life there has taken on with all the private estate islands. I think at this point, SL is a very strange but beloved beast and creates a commercial social space most like Internet community social spaces such as MUSHes and MUCKs, and that's a special space.

On 10/26/2017 at 7:16 AM, Chromal Brodsky said:

Has anyone founded a temple to a classic or ancient Goddess...?

I hereby submit my qualifications:

• Though I'm not yet ancient, I'm working on it.
  • People have pointed and said "that's classic Maddy" while shaking their heads.
  • I'm a High Priestess and really and truly ordained in RL (cost me thirty bucks!).

But, here's the problem... I am so averse to praise that I would likely incinerate anyone who offered it. I can't imagine what would happen if someone erected a temple (or something much, much smaller, as so often happens here) to me.

10 minutes ago, Chromal Brodsky said:

Hey, people are awesome.

Ya, they certainly are.

;-).

• Haha 1

If some new religion wants a temple in SL, there's a large Indian-look temple complex available. It's in Kama City at Vallone (232, 108, 35), and for sale or rent from, inevitably, LIFE Properties. They're asking L$2100/week, but it's been vacant for a long time and that price might come down. The sale price already dropped. Six buildings, plus some elephants, minarets, and trees.

(I own property nearby, but have no connection with this parcel.)

templeforsale_001.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, animats said:

I'm not promoting it. It's just that there's a large abandoned temple around, and the original poster seemed to need something like that.

Well, in fairness, in my OP I did actually go out of my way to say " not just an artful edifice, but a body of faith, belief, and practice ... " and so I hoped it was clear I'm not so concerned about virtual bricks and mortar, but rather have this curiousity, or maybe that's a longing, for this sense of a living individual and shared community spirit. That said, thanks for the suggestion, it sounds like a cool build and the architecture in that snapshot does seems neat and inspirational. :-)

Edited by Chromal Brodsky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.