Unusual Reviews on MP

Charlotte Bartlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have had some crazy reviews on products over the years, and I have noted LL is very hit and miss on whether they will remove a review that doesn't actually "review" the product.

I have had one review flagged to LL reaching it's year anniversary hah - I had to translate it but it stated simply:

"it's house trash"  with a one star.

Does anybody get results flagging reviews?  I tend to try to respond at least in a comment so other purchasers can get more information and that there is customer support etc.

The weird part is that reviewed house is on my first page and still a good seller, so I am thinking comments from merchants do help the situation.

From a personal standpoint as a consumer, I definitely feel far more confident in a purchase if I see that there is active support available. I find it helpful for the merchant to leave a comment because it can often alleviate any doubts by proving that there was simply a miscommunication with that specific buyer and not an actual issue with the product.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I have noted LL is very hit and miss on whether they will remove a review

This is why many people simply don't bother leaving or reading reviews...

What is a moderately favorable review worth, if you suspect that there may have been several unfavorable reviews that have been 'removed' on various questionable grounds.

The example you give, a 'review' on a house, it's in a foreign language and features very poor grammar, BUT it IS a review of your house product.

Merchants constantly petitioning LL to remove 'unfavorable' reviews, makes the whole system worthless, so instead people rely on demos, or word of mouth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Klytyna said:

The example you give, a 'review' on a house, it's in a foreign language and features very poor grammar, BUT it IS a review of your house product.

They do not remove reviews that actually have anything to do with the product quality, even if not very informative.  They do remove reviews about nondelivery, or about how the Product deserves one star because it is exactly as described in the listing, which the buyer did not read. Dakota made a sticky about it to cut down on the forum complaints on the subject.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

They do not remove reviews that actually have anything to do with the product quality, even if not very informative.  They do remove reviews about nondelivery, or about how the Product deserves one star because it is exactly as described in the listing, which the buyer did not read. Dakota made a sticky about it to cut down on the forum complaints on the subject.

I find the flagging system works very well. and unfair reviews are almost always removed. I don't flag a review if it's someone's opinion on the quality, because that's fair.

But I do have this one item, (a bush sold by Reid Parkin), which I describe as "low quality, basic star shape, flat planes with a picture on it. Do not have high expectations or you may be disappointed. See it inworld before buying...''. The item has been reviewed with one star a couple of times, with the complaint that it is low quality, basic and just flat planes with a picture in a star shape. I respond with "You are complaining about details that were made very clear in the description ....and therefore your review is unfair". I flagged it once and the review was removed. The second time it happened the review was not removed. After giving it some thought, I decided it was right that the 1 star review remains. Just because I describe my item as low quality doesn't mean nobody is allowed to give it 1 star for that reason. And actually I would prefer people to know what the item is before buying it, and the low reviews help here. I even tell people to see reviews before buying. Despite all this, the item persists as one of my top sellers - go figure.

• Like 5

I have not had good luck removing reviews. For awhile "it seemed" like a competitor was buying my best selling product in order to give one star reviews. The reviews said very little and had the same speech pattern for the most part with some of the same complaints. Then, I made a DEMO item and there were STILL one star reviews. 

Eventually I put a note at the top of the item page. And I quote:

***Sadly I need to add this note***

Edited October 23rd, 2016.

I can see no legitimate reason for people buying this item and then leaving a one star rating -- and sometimes a fairly nasty comment :D

THERE IS A DEMO -- THERE IS A DEMO -- THERE IS A DEMO -- THERE IS A DEMO --

The demo has been available since August 31, 2015.

I of course am not trying to cheat people. I have been in business as ChiC buildings since 2010. You can see a smaller demo of this surround inworld -- http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Swanbridge/194/88/1003

I invite you to PICK UP THE FREE DEMO and see how it looks in your environment. Pick up my competitor's demos if they have them and test those also. YOU are the customer. YOU make the choices.

And if you want to make your own surround, I applaud you. As a previous member of the Linden Endowments for the Arts committee and designer and curator of LEA7 (Machinima Open Studio Project) I support (in caps) creativity!!!!

PLEASE PICK UP A DEMO AND TRY BEFORE BUYING IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS.

Questions - contact Chic Aeon. IMs go to email.

That seems to have solved the issue. I hated to put that on my item page, but I was also royally P***ED at someone so blatantly using the system.    I know of builders who have INSTANT five star reviews (several) on release of a new building. I also know that I have sold hundreds of items (many) with one or NO reviews at all. So that tells me something there.   I really don't trust reviews that much. I want to see the product inworld or have a demo to try. That's pretty much my rule.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2017 at 4:08 AM, Rya Nitely said:

I find the flagging system works very well. and unfair reviews are almost always removed. I don't flag a review if it's someone's opinion on the quality, because that's fair.

But I do have this one item, (a bush sold by Reid Parkin), which I describe as "low quality, basic star shape, flat planes with a picture on it. Do not have high expectations or you may be disappointed. See it inworld before buying...''. The item has been reviewed with one star a couple of times, with the complaint that it is low quality, basic and just flat planes with a picture in a star shape. I respond with "You are complaining about details that were made very clear in the description ....and therefore your review is unfair". I flagged it once and the review was removed. The second time it happened the review was not removed. After giving it some thought, I decided it was right that the 1 star review remains. Just because I describe my item as low quality doesn't mean nobody is allowed to give it 1 star for that reason. And actually I would prefer people to know what the item is before buying it, and the low reviews help here. I even tell people to see reviews before buying. Despite all this, the item persists as one of my top sellers - go figure.

I went through my Marketplace store a year or so ago and took off some things that were embarrassingly old. But I still have some old prim builds (very cheap) on the Marketplace and they still sell now and then. For some folks, those less than state of the art items are all that is needed and lindens might be hard to come by.  I had someone give a one star review to one of those items that said "I hate it" -- and that was it LOL. I left it there as it was there right to hate it. It was maybe $50 or $100 lindens.  Honestly?    

I do have some very old products that still sell well DESPITE the fact that I remade them in mesh and they did NOT sell LOL.  So it is what it is. 

• Like 1

This might be a bit off topic to the original post, but falls in the realms of reviews at MP and I understand LL appreciates good ideas or suggestions.

It's well known that gifts to others can't be reviewed at MP by the gift recipient. Only the gift giver (original purchaser) has that ability. Common sense says it should be possible, but at this time, it's not feasible. It would require some coding changes, which I understand. At he same time, a purchaser, in world can't leave a review either.

Maybe in the future it can be possible to have a notebook stationed at a front desk (or a designated area) for those who purchase/were gifted the item in world to leave a review there? Those who are considering an in world purchase could simply look at the notebook and get a feel of what others have felt about their experience with the product.

As it stands now, when I make a purchase in world, I sometimes will NC the creator/seller and let them know that I'm happy with the product and invite them to tack in on to their MP review area.

As for just one star or all five star reviews, I take with a grain of salt. I look at it as the truth is somewhere between two/fours stars.

Just tossing this idea out there.

Edited by CharlieMack

I think it helps to see the service interaction. Although as a consumer, I am not really as concerned with the review if there is a demo, and an occasional bad review is non consequential. If I read the review (on a product that offers a demo) it is generally to look for something I should be aware of and pay attention too, rather then the decision to see the demo or not.

Charlotte, over the years I have contacted you with random questions (we've run into each other on occasion too) and your responses have always been prompt, professional and pleasant. So I am quite confident that anyone that tries to get a hold of you can do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.