Is there a way to...

AthenaStarfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's a flag to llGetObjectDetails, OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE, which tells you whether someone is using a shape with a male or female base type.   However, unless someone's using one of the LL library shapes, you've got no guarantee that the underlying body shape type is the same as the gender the body is meant to portray.

I really wouldn't rely on it.   People who write scripts for RLV have been able to read the body shape type for a lot longer than OBEJCT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE has been available, and I've never known any RLV scripter who's been able to find a use for it. 

I certainly wouldn't risk using the base body shape type to guess the avatar's gender.  I'd probably be right more often than not, but the annoyance caused my caused to my customers when the guess was wrong wouldn't be worth it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I certainly wouldn't risk using the base body shape type to guess the avatar's gender.

Keeping in mind that avatars may look male or female but may also be furry, robot, alien, or any other shape, it's risky to guess an avatar's gender with LSL. ( It's risky even to do it by eyeball.)  And, of course, there's absolutely no way to tell whether the owner of an avatar that appears to be female really is female in RL.  One of the basic unwritten rules in SL is that it's rude to ask.  Beyond that, if you know a person's RL gender somehow, it is a TOS violation to reveal that information without the owner's approval.  I agree with Innula that this is one can of worms that you do not want to open.

• Like 4

There are lots of places which cater to women only. You just need a staff that will eject male avatars. And of course that's all you get is people who used a female avatar. No way at all on the underlying player.

My suggestion is post signs, kick and ban those who don't follow you rules. The benefits of land ownership, giant hammer

7 hours ago, AthenaStarfire said:

So I'm pretty stuffed making a Lesbian Female Only Place?...

43 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking that in the context of a giveaway, asking whether someone prefers the male or female freebie is ok.

55 minutes ago, seanabrady said:

My suggestion is post signs, kick and ban those who don't follow you rules. The benefits of land ownership, giant hammer

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ask the avatar, with a dialog box.

All of those are good ideas, but you shouldn't have any delusions that they are foolproof or guaranteed to be non-controversial.  You can ask, and people may volunteer information about themselves, but you can't tell whether they are telling the truth. Many will routinely avoid answering personal questions as a matter of principle and are uncomfortable around people who pry into their identities.  Shy people, introverts, and those who fear intimidation can feel offended or excluded simply because you ask.  It comes down to trust, and some people have thinner skin than others.  Ultimately, you may of course ban anyone at all, even without a reason.  Sadly, though, tests that are meant to exclude classes of people can exclude the wrong ones.

• Like 1

I am just waking up (well it was a long night) but as "I" am reading the OP the question was about the avatar, not the typist. 

Since I have seen info on scripts character testing and have seen mention of this in the sitter script product that I use, I am thinking their iS a way to test for that?   

Just putting forth another way of looking at the OP.  Of course one NEVER  KNOWS (well very rarely with people who have RL and SL connected public lives) who is behind an avatar. 

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am just waking up (well it was a long night) but as "I" am reading the OP the question was about the avatar, not the typist. 

Since I have seen info on scripts character testing and have seen mention of this in the sitter script product that I use, I am thinking their iS a way to test for that?   

Just putting forth another way of looking at the OP.  Of course one NEVER  KNOWS (well very rarely with people who have RL and SL connected public lives) who is behind an avatar. 

Facebook has determined that for actual real people, male/female just ain't enough gender checkboxes. They now have 56(?). Add in Rolig's robots, furries, and aliens and you're going to need an integer's domain to hold the range. Even if the question applies to the avatar, it's being answered by a human, and so we're at least back to Facebook's 56.

;-).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

See my post above about llGetObjectDetails(id, [OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE]) and Rolig's and my comments about why it's not a good idea to use this to have scripts try to guess what gender the avatar is supposed to be (the avatar, not the typist).

13 hours ago, AthenaStarfire said:

It would be a terrible idea, to my mind, to rely on OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE to restrict entry to a "women only" or "men only" space -- almost as bad as using llGetAgentSize to try to detect child avatars.   

According to friends who make shapes to sell, they often get more satisfactory results using the "wrong" base gender for the shape, depending on what effect they're trying to achieve. This is because the sliders apparently work differently, or some of them do, depending on the base gender.   I've seen very good male shapes, beefy body-builder types as well as less muscle-bound ones, made from female shapes and also I've seen some pretty good female shapes, including very "feminine" ones as well as more butch ones, that started as male shapes.      

Speaking both as a scripter and as someone who is involved in the management of some adult clubs, I think seanabrady is quite right in suggesting that well-trained staff are going to be far, far more use to you than any scripted tests.     Certainly I wouldn't want to have to keep on apologising to people whose avatars were clearly meant to be represent women for the fact my scripted security device had refused them entry.

ETA:   You might have better luck calling llGetAttachedList and looping through that with llKey2Name to get the names of the non-HUD attachments worn by the avatar.   That should help you spot avatars that are supposed to be male, but it's not going to be by any means foolproof.  

Edited by Innula Zenovka

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

See my post above about llGetObjectDetails(id, [OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE]) and Rolig's and my comments about why it's not a good idea to use this to have scripts try to guess what gender the avatar is supposed to be (the avatar, not the typist).

Ah, I did see that but wasn't putting it together. Sorry. 

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Facebook has determined that for actual real people, male/female just ain't enough gender checkboxes. They now have 56(?). Add in Rolig's robots, furries, and aliens and you're going to need an integer's domain to hold the range.

And something like this to hold the output

5923762cd4ea2_SLRestrooms.thumb.png.1028f9ef7aecfdb0699ef125cca33f23.png

• Like 2

On 22.5.2017 at 0:35 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

There's a flag to llGetObjectDetails, OBJECT_BODY_SHAPE_TYPE, which tells you whether someone is using a shape with a male or female base type.   However, unless someone's using one of the LL library shapes, you've got no guarantee that the underlying body shape type is the same as the gender the body is meant to portray.

I really wouldn't rely on it.

THank you Innula! I've been wondering if I could put that flag to any use. Now I Know. ^_^

17 hours ago, AthenaStarfire said:

There are several such places already and they all seem to manage well simply by looking at people's avatars and expecting people to respect the rules.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.