MBA Body/Head Survey 2017

CheriColette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mesh Body & Head Survey 2017

From Daria, MBA blog:

Hi 

As you all know, I like to run Surveys every 6 months or so on this blog to find out what Mesh Bodies and what Mesh Heads you guys are using. The reason I do this is two fold really – firstly I’m interested to know what’s trending, and secondly I know designers find the information useful when deciding which bodies to include sizes for in their items, what heads to make skins for etc etc.

So with that in mind, welcome to the first Survey for 2017! The survey shouldn’t take longer than a minute or so to do, and it’s designed to find out some key information:

What bodies most people are wearing
What bodies most people prefer; and
What mesh heads most people are wearing
Obviously the survey can’t encapsulate all the possible responses, so I’ve left the option for you to select ‘other’ and provide me with details if there’s not an option in the list that describes you or the body/head you wear.

Please share the survey around, the more people who complete it, the better our data will be. One difference you may notice is that I’ve asked for your SL name in this version of the survey. This is purely for data verification purposes and won’t be published, so don’t worry!

Do the survey here

• Like 1

Yes I added a comment.

I can think of three major bento heads NOT on the survey:

Mel Imako's full perm bento mesh head - $2000L

MAYREAL Bento Mesh Head Nadia - $1500 and better than any $5000 head. :P

Angel Rock's Bento Mesh Head - designed specifically for an African look (but I couldn't get my look on it, so I went with Mayreal). $2999. Weirdly does not support her own skins, but instead comes in preset colors with appliers for a few major bodies...

The thing about Mel Imako and Mayreal's head is - they have "almost" the same shape as the default SL mesh head, but with the flaws removed. So you put it on and you will look almost the same as you always have, but nicer, and then just a few shape tweaks to improve to taste. Mayreal does a better job of this than Mel Imako (the nostrils are deeper, the tongue worked better with the emotes), but they both do good enough jobs to seriously call into question buying one of those $5000L mesh heads from other sellers that have such unusually custom shapes that you need to spend days fixing your look...

I guess the legit question here is... how many mesh head brands are out there? Is it reasonable to expect them to all be in the survey? If not, how 'popular' before it makes the list?

Considering how popular Mel Imako's brand is, I'm surprised she's not considered. Mayreal is new by 2 months, but has a lot of traction going. And Angel Rock is the ONLY non-caucasian/asian head on the market for female heads so... kinda glaring to be excluded. Gotta do some whitesplainin' to explain that lack...

8 hours ago, angeoco said:

Lol! Wikipedia calls that the "Scunthorpe problem".

This is also why I have never given myself a display name. I've always worried the SL system would refuse to let me remove it... :P

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

Yes @*****cat Catnap, and thankyou for highlighting those points. Its the reason Daria likes to do her surveys, to find out what is popular and whats out there. She can only work with the information we give her back. 

PS...I refer to my cats in rl as '*****cats' so I find it ridiculous, in an adult forum, that word is not aloud to be seen in context because its linked informally, to some 'other' meaning.   

Edited by CheriColette
@*****cat catnap
  • Like 3

On May 21, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

MAYREAL Bento Mesh Head Nadia - $1500 and better than any $5000 head.

Oh I might have to check that out, 5000 was way to much for me but 1500 isn't so bad, though my partners viewer won't handle Bento, he says my hands are all deformed.  He then went on to say I could do whatever I wanted as long as I didn't get a bento ass. 

6 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

I mostly wish it were easier to find modifiable mesh heads and bodies. Some of us like to customize beyond what is possible with a HUD.

I hope you said that on the survey too, Penny.

I dont have a mesh head. I tried a demo once but couldnt work it out and gave up. Really I was half-hearted about changing anyway. 

On 5/26/2017 at 10:23 AM, Penny Patton said:

I mostly wish it were easier to find modifiable mesh heads and bodies. Some of us like to customize beyond what is possible with a HUD.

Bodies: Lena Lush & Perky, SalinA (6 different bodies), Fusion

Heads: Mayreal, Mel Imako

- Those are the copy/mod choices I know of. Mayreal comes copy/no-mod, but has a box in the contents, and inside of that box is an unscripted copy/mod copy of the 'with ears' version of the head. Mel Imako is full-perms.

As far as I know, fusion is the only male body that is copy/mod. I find fusion looks too 'rough' - but that might just be bad demo skins.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hmmmm I looked over this 'survey' if that's what Daria wants to call it . It seemed pretty incomplete to me though. A lot of brand names and their store products were not listed, that are commonly seen inworld and even mentioned on this forum.

interesting, it might be interesting to see the results of a similar survey in the future, I know I said I didnt use a mesh head at the time, but now I use a Mayreal head

• Like 1

One of the things that made me go ahead and try this one was that the way this is set up it is easier to match up with your original system head, because a lot of this stuff I am really not that good at.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.