Apply for the Marketplace Direct Delivery Beta Program!

Brooke Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Are you content with how things are now .. and completely unconcerned that even though there is ample evidence, history and knowledge available everywhere, those resources were ignored before and seem to be getting ignored now? If so, if you think everything is just fine .. why are you here? Why are you even bothering to interject?

People with different views need to interject. It's necessary to maintain a balanced outlook.

I'm generally content with the marketplace. Of course, like everyone else I get disappointed with the occasional failed delivery, the loss of reporting tools that we had in Xstreet, the inability to give links to my partner's items in my descriptions, etc. So, it isn't perfect but I've adapted. Sales/profit are not negatively affected and that is the main thing.

Now, imagine if the change had been vice versa - from this new marketplace to Xstreet. People would be shouting about the loss of the store front and the loss of related items - both great ways to advertise your other products; many would hate the plain, messy appearance of listings in Xstreet; and they would miss many other features the marketplace provides that Xstreet didn't. With time the marketplace will only get better.

Now back to DD. We've been told that people will still be allowed to use magic boxes instead of DD. But eventually magic boxes will become obsolete. The good news here is that all those old items that belong to merchants who have left SL will be eliminated from the marketplace, thus giving it that long overdue clean up. It will reduce the risk of buying an item with no customer support. It will reduce the clutter. And that is good.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now back to DD. We've been told that people will still be allowed to use magic boxes instead of DD. But eventually magic boxes will become obsolete. The good news here is that all those old items that belong to merchants who have left SL will be eliminated from the marketplace, thus giving it that long overdue clean up. It will reduce the risk of buying an item with no customer support. It will reduce the clutter. And that is good.

And Rya, you dont think that magical clensing didnt happen during the xstree to slm cutover when a lot of these so called ancient and unsupported xstreet listings were never worked by Merchants that either decided they were not going to go thru all the hassle to cleanup the listings that were messed up from the conversion - or the merchant didnt even exist?

The cleanup happened already.  Removing the MagicBoxes wont clean anything - well I might be wrong - it could clean up a TON if the cutver/conversion screws up or more Merchants throw up their hands with yet another LL migration.

And for those that said Merchants have the option to stay on MAGICBOXES.... no!  Only until LL feels they are comfortable to force all merchants to convert to DD.  Then there will be no more magic boxes.

Hi Brooke,

I hope you are reading this thread. The more I think about this system and the good and bad possibilities with implementation, I really hope that there will be a blog posting soon that explains more about how the system is going to work, including:

1) What's the "failsafe" or rollback plan in case something does go "rogue"? As I'm sure you've seen there's a thread about how llGiveInventory failed for some recently - a script that no one ever thought could break - for that matter, there are always new threads about things we never thought could happen, but do - so in the event something "breaks" with this system, what's the safety plan?

2) How will a Merchant know if something goes wrong (unless a customer notifies them)?

3) What's the Support Plan - will there be a dedicated Merchant's Support phone number so they can get immediate help if something happens that's out of the ordinary? When someone's inventory or business is at stake (and LL is a stakeholder as well in the success of its Merchants), filing a JIRA or a support ticket just isn't the fastest way to get a resolution or fix.

4) What should a Merchant do if something fails? Do they deactivate their whole store temporarily until it is fixed?

5) Even though it has been stated that at some point the Magic Boxes will be defunct, isn't there a way to build the option to keep them into the plan? Even if it takes more time to build that option, isn't it worth it for those who are just unsure about the new system?

6) Can Merchant gifting to themselves at no cost please be reenabled so that we are able to test this on an ongoing basis as we add new inventory? I for one, will want to test and test and really paying commission every time I test deliver something to my main or alt account is not effective.

Believe me, I really don't want to just focus on possible failure scenarios, but in any good plan, there's the "what's great about this new feature" side of it and how it will be helpful, and then, there is the "what are the potential downsides and how they will be corrected" side of it.

A blog post outlining both sides of the issue would do a lot to insure that the Merchants are fully informed about such a major change.

We had perfectly good storefronts on Xstreet, they just did not have banners. What we did not have was associated items, although many of us made our own clickable pics (so as not to use spam words in links). And we did not have fast pic upload.

We also had the ability to see how much we had sold in a given time, how many of an item had sold and to whom, we could look at see how many clicks items were getting, etc.

We also had relevant search, and "red shoe" brought up only things that were red and were shoes.

I would take Xstreet back in a heartbeat.

Pearl Vollmar wrote:

I wish LL would stop having "brilliant" ideas. What's wrong about magic boxes? Why change that? Please leave my inventory alone!

Magic boxes require the region to be online for them to deliver the items. Sim lag can affect the performance of your magic box.

That being said, I am still all for Magic Boxes but it's a bias opinion as I offer magic box hosting in no less than 6 different regions.

Just a few comments on this: 1. I saw the announcement just today, while i was listing things daily the past few days. 2. I could not participate, since it is too short notice to make space and time for it. 3. I would be happy if there was more public information about how this will work in practice, so that possible problems or options can be discussed. 4. If I understood the so far public information correct, the program would make boxed items unneccessary, and instead send folders from the merchant to the customer. This might really bloat inventories of merchants, and I doubt it can be done reliable since the inventory never fully loads for anyone anyways which is why I have my important stuff always rezzed inworld in prims. 5. A redelivery option for customers would be alot more urgent in my opinion, and not only in mine, and I doubt with any method all deliveries would arrive safely all the time, so back up solutions like a redelivery button would be good to have. This redeliver option should be "opt in " for merchants on their listing forms, and visible for the customers directly on the listing if the merchant opted the respective item in for redelivery. Customers then could have things resent from their transaction page if the item was marked for this option.

Everyone needs to stop worrying about this until the technical specifications of its actual implementation are announced, because people are making all sorts of assumptions based on a lack of understanding of how asset storage and delivery actually works.

For example, people are so worried about their inventory.

**The inventory is just a file structure showing the items on the asset server that you have access to. **

When your items in your inventory aren't loading, that's happening at your end - the files are still there on the asset server. Why do you think you're able to fix "lost inventory" by clearing your cache, ie by actually deleting something?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory

Hintswen Guardian wrote:

Magic boxes require the region to be online for them to deliver the items. Sim lag can affect the performance of your magic box.

That being said, I am still all for Magic Boxes but it's a bias opinion as I offer magic box hosting in no less than 6 different regions.

This is about the only real negative impact that can be foreseen.

I will take this opportunity to give another 'what if the situation was vice versa'  scenario. If direct delivery had always been the way we sold our items in the marketplace, and all our marketplace items were conveniently held in a special folder in our avatar's inventory, and now we were being asked to upload each marketplace item into a special box, called a 'Magic Box':smileysurprised:, and we'd have to find a place to put our Magic Box, or pay someone like Hintswen to host it for us, people would be in an uproar. There would be alot more nervousness about security and reliability. We would be telling them, in no uncertain terms, where to take their 'Magic Boxes' and where to shove it. 

The change to Direct Delivery is so obviously an advancement.

The reason for complaints is simple - people hate change. They are comfortable doing what they do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.