Voice vulnerability allows people to get real world info?

Teller96

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

@Perrie Juran  I agree, but there have been security issues with Vivox in the past (two of the Emerald devs, as I recall, got up some mischief with Vivox back then) so who knows?   LL have the resources and expertise to investigate this.  I certainly don't.

Thank you for reminding me.  I do remember an issue now but not the details which I'm unable to find. 

20 minutes ago, Teller96 said:

I'm just [not] used to sharing my experiences and everyone deciding that it's a made up story because it's an uncommon or unlikely scenario. 

Edited because I'm sure that's what you meant. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense for you to say it.

It wasn't a very good thing to post. Nobody has decided that it's a made-up story. Everyone has tried to help by offering ideas and asking questions, with the desire to get to the bottom of it for you. The one person who started out by saying that it's a load of BS, was refering to the guy, not to you. So, if you think that they have been trying to make out that it's a made-up story when they asked questions, perhaps you'd tell us all how the guy did it, since you seem to think you know better than anyone else here.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Meant what I said, past experiences are why I made assumptions here. I took it the wrong way, as repeatedly addressing the unlikely speculations made me feel like I was defending my stance. Could have just made a huge post initially on why I determined that it could have been an actual hack, but it would have felt out of place as I wasn't really expecting people to question it because I'm absolutely retaaaarded. It all came out eventually though. I just edit the posts so I don't have to make a ton more posts because I never really gather everything I want to say at once. Just make the post and keep adding to it until I feel satisfied. 10/10 for going off topic. I'm so self-centered. And also very tired.

Edited by Teller96

19 minutes ago, Teller96 said:

I wasn't really expecting people to question it because I'm absolutely retaaaarded.

I question your story not because you are "retarded" but because you are like me. And I'm fully capable of seeing things that aren't there and not seeing things that are. We are not impugning your intelligence. We're all trying to determine what combination of tools, techniques, and human foibles could bring you to us with this story.

• Like 2

LL said any many years ago during an office hour I attended, because of the emerald stuff that was shown and released by 2 of those devs, LL told us flatly that the user database is not accessible through the voice service, VOICE is not even ran by them, it's 3rd party,  so where ever he's getting his info from he's pulling it from another source. 

I agree with Innula. Submit a ticket so then at least LL can investigate for a potential loophole. Be specific in your claim and provide as many details as you can.

1. The username of the individual you are referring.
  2. What was communicated by him exactly and what information was he able to access about you to your knowledge.
  3. How long did it take this individual to pull up your info?
  4. You said the exploit involved voice chat Was that private voice or group voice?

Those are just a few things to note in your ticket.

• Like 1

I also suggest submitting a ticket so the matter can be looked into. 

I was just curious about your real name being with your billing info?  I just looked at mine, because I didn't remember providing my real name when I signed up, and all I see on my billing info is a partial display of the email I use for PayPal - but no real name.   Is this different when you use a credit card instead of paypal or skrill?  

You have a small local ISP? It may have a fairly small pool of IP addresses and he could have probably gotten to your home address at least. From there, one could make an educated guess as to who uses Second Life in that household. Another thing to remember is when someone tries to guess your name you should always deny and not verify. There is really no way for him to know for sure unless you say so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.