The worst ban lines ever seen in Second Life?

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't want to start yet another discussion about whether people shuld be allowed to have ban lines around their private properties, this is something completely different:

At Hawkshead, hidden under water, right next to the Linden Waterway, empty plot owned by LL Maintenance. Why on earth do they need banlines around that???

ChinRey wrote:

I don't want to start yet another discussion about whether people shuld be allowed to have ban lines around their private properties, this is something completely different:

At Hawkshead, hidden under water, right next to the Linden Waterway, empty plot owned by LL Maintenance. Why on earth do they need banlines around that???

Protected reef?

Qie Niangao wrote:

Cool discovery.

Not really and I should have done something about it long ago, I had just forgotten about the parcel since I know where the waterway goes after three years in the area. But today I took a few friends out. Everybody crashed into it, filling up the Lost and Founds with three of Rubber Bunny's finest.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Pretty sure the "Linden Village" parcel title is a clue.

Well, to one who runs into it now it looks like some kind of internal feud between different LL departments. Both LLDPW and Governance has done quite a bit of work improving the northeastern bit of the Sansara waterway and then Maintenance snuck in and blocked the access to that part. ;)

But he ban lines have been there for ages and yes, they're clearly blocking off the parcelfor some old Linden Village project that never happened.

For those who want the gory details, it is as I said absolutely impossible to spot, I don't think it's registered by any Explorer HUD, it covers more than half the width of the passage, it's that particularly annoying ones where you are stuck but the boat sails one and is instantly autoreturned and the nearest rez point is the one I set up at Windermere, three sims away.

In other words, if you sail the wonderful waterways of Northeastern Sansara, there's less than an even chance you'll make it through Hawkshead and if you don't, it's instant End of Journey, no recovery possible.

Actually, the Linden Village is probably a leftover, not an abandoned project. When I first started in SL there really was a Linden Village. All the Lindens had a small place on a protected island that had an apartment kind of thing that they could call home. It was really quite pretty but only Linden avis could go there. I'm willing to bet you're stumbling across a small bit that was part of that island that was forgotten. I'd do a support ticket with the location and see if they can fix it since Linden VIllage no longer exists.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Protected reef?

Oh no, this is Right north of the Nature Preserve.

But thank you for reminding me about that little SL gem. The Nature Preserve at Hawkshead is a 960 m2 piece of seabed remarkable for being completely empty and having exactly the same dull grey ground texture as the surrounding parcels. Most nature preserves has some defining feature of course but this one doesn't and that makes it quite unique.

Anyway, here's a map of the sim with some rough paint.net doodling by me. black ljne: safe sailing route, red blotch: it's a trap!, green blot: Nature Preserve.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Actually, the Linden Village is probably a leftover, not an abandoned project. When I first started in SL there really was a Linden Village. All the Lindens had a small place on a protected island that had an apartment kind of thing that they could call home. It was really quite pretty but only Linden avis could go there. I'm willing to bet you're stumbling across a small bit that was part of that island that was forgotten. I'd do a support ticket with the location and see if they can fix it since Linden VIllage no longer exists.

Linden Village still exists although I've yet to see a Linden there and most of the parcels are open to anybody now, just two with ban lines that I know of. It's not jsut Linden's private homes btw and never was. The area also includes some privetely owned land a deserted shopping area where Nyx has his office, the famous twin info hubs of Borrowdale and Waterhead, Tutorial Island, the two Help Islandsand several other public facilities. This ban line parcel is right between Mike's disco and the old Japanese info center and blocking the way to Havenhurst where Governance is plotting soemthing that's definitely supposed to be public and involves a treasure chest.

ChinRey wrote:

Protected reef?

Oh no, this is Right north of the Nature Preserve.

But thank you for reminding me about that little SL gem. The Nature Preserve at Hawkshead is a 960 m2 piece of seabed remarkable for being completely empty and having exactly the same dull grey ground texture as the surrounding parcels. Most nature preserves has some defining feature of course but this one doesn't and that makes it quite unique.

Anyway, here's a map of the sim with some rough paint.net doodling by me. black ljne: safe sailing route, red blotch: it's a trap!, green blot: Nature Preserve.

I was being facetious. And the existence of an empty nature preserve suggests LL is too. The removal of the ban lines from the area you discovered could be LL forgetting its own jokes.

I was being facetious.

Really? We do not joke about humor here, Madelaine, comedy is serious business!

In any case, you should never ignore a chance for a good old conspiracy theory, so here is what really happened:

The valiant Moles and Governance Lindens, the makers and protectors of all things good in SL, came together to turn the sad old Campus into Havenhurst, a brand new wonderful playground for all the merry users of Second Life. When the Evil Lindens of Maintenance heard about it, they got jealous and blocked the access to this new wonderland with ban lines. Fortunately special agent Bianca Linden uncovered the Maintenance's sinister plan and was able to foil it.

This is the true story and any facts that don't fit should be rejected as heresy.

ChinRey wrote:

I was being facetious.

Really? We do not joke about humor here, Madelaine, comedy is serious business!

In any case, you should never ignore a chance for a good old conspiracy theory, so here is what really happened:

The valiant Moles and Governance Lindens, the makers and protectors of all things good in SL, came together to turn the sad old Campus into Havenhurst, a brand new wonderful playground for all the merry users of Second Life. When the Evil Lindens of Maintenance heard about it, they got jealous and blocked the access to this new wonderland with ban lines. Fortunately special agent Bianca Linden uncovered the Maintenance's sinister plan and was able to foil it.

This is the true story and any facts that don't fit should be rejected as heresy.

I think it's more likely that Ebbe wanted to cement his legacy before leaving his office, and decided to extend sanctuary to that desolate bit of seafloor. Someone forgot to publish the memo. It won't be long before Bianca Linden is putting out feelers on LinkedIn.

ChinRey wrote:

It took Bianca Linden only two and a half hours to process the case and remove the ban lines. LL has really started to get their mainland act together recently.

Each ticket that Bianca Linden handles for me is always done efficiently and to my satisfaction. She is a great Linden to deal with.

Shudo wrote:

Each ticket that Bianca Linden handles for me is always done efficiently and to my satisfaction. She is a great Linden to deal with.

Oh yes, she's wonderful. But two hours response time to a support ticket is remarkable by any standard. Makes you wonder if you need live chat and concierge support at all.

Btw, I suggested in my follow up answer that the parcel should be renamed Bianca Passage. I have a feeling that's going to be harder to get through though.

Pamela Galli wrote:

It would be interesting to know which lindens are considered the most helpful.

All Lindens, Scouts and Moles I've had any kind of contact with have been quite helpful but of course most work behind the front lines and don't do direct customer support on a regular basis.

That being said, the names that immediately spring to my mind are Michael, Dee, Bianca, Ebbe, Grumpity and Dakota. And yes I know Grumpity and Dakota are the ones who got the most complaints but that's because they've got the worst job, cleaning up the sewers of SL.

Pamela Galli wrote:

It would be interesting to know which lindens are considered the most helpful. I don't know if that would be considered an honor or a disgrace. 

He's long since gone, after LL closed down the UK office, but I still remember Spike Linden very fondly, as, I think, do a lot of people who were concierge-level customers back then.

Is the banline the other side of the bridge a new feature? or was that there before too? (I have reported it too now)

I like the hut next to the bridge... It tells people the beach ball on the table is physical and what you could do with it if it was physical.And promises a prize for undertaking a task..

Except it isn't physical, so the task is impossible.... it appears to have been set up to frustrate and confuse.

Aethelwine wrote:

Is the banline the other side of the bridge a new feature? or was that there before too? (I have reported it too now)

I like the hut next to the bridge... It tells people the beach ball on the table is physical and what you could do with it if it was physical.And promises a prize for undertaking a task..

Except it isn't physical, so the task is impossible.... it appears to have been set up to frustrate and confuse.

Aha, further evidence for my theory that LL set that place up as a joke and then forgot that's what they did.

Institutional amnesia!

;-).

ChinRey wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

It would be interesting to know which lindens are considered the most helpful.

All Lindens, Scouts and Moles I've had any kind of contact with have been quite helpful but of course most work behind the front lines and don't do direct customer support on a regular basis.

That being said, the names that immediately spring to my mind are Michael, Dee, Bianca, Ebbe, Grumpity and Dakota. And yes I know Grumpity and Dakota are the ones who got the most complaints but that's because they've got the worst job, cleaning up the sewers of SL.

Yes, many have been helpful. Many! For me, Dakota, because she is the face, and the only face, of the commerce team. Without her the wheels would come off. Merchants would be cut loose and cast adrift on their own,

The other is not an official Linden, but Whirly Fizzle, because she knows all about the JIRA, and many many times responded when I file one, or just report something in the forum -- she is the one who reproduces the bug and usually figures out the cause and fix, if there is one.

Aethelwine wrote:

Oh, I thought that one was gone long ago! Thank you Aethelwine! That parcel was technically the private home of a Linden until recently but she never got around to add more than some random litter there and now she's gone.

Aethelwine wrote:

That may be partly my fault actually. The ball used to be physical but somehow it ended up stuck under the bridge. It couldn't be moved anywhere and it kept spamming local chat every few seconds. So I contacted Michael Linden and he came over and fixed it (along with a lot fo other issues - that info center was a complete mess). I suppose he made it non-physical to keep it from getting stuck again and then forgot to deactivate the challenge. It still spams local chat btw but now the waterway and most of the bridge is out of its range.

The camming challenge doesn't give a prize either btw.

Anyway, if you want to play with the ball, look in your Library folder and you'll find a copy there. It was actually made as early as 2002 by Phillip Linden himself and I've heard old-timers tell stories how it once was a plague in SL. ;)

If you want a small challenge, try to stop the oil leakage at the neighbor sim, Bowness.

If you want a prize there, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for Governance to activate the treasure chest at Havenhurst - unless you want to come over to Coniston and try the Freebie Hunt there of course ;)

Aha, further evidence for my theory that LL set that place up as a joke and then forgot that's what they did.

A joke???

Look, here is the road leading from Mike's disco to the Japanese Learning Bridge, missing the latter by only half a sim or so. Such minimalism, it's the haiku of road building! How can you call this a joke???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.