The worst ban lines ever seen in Second Life?

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ChinRey wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

The other is not an official Linden...

Oh, if we're going to list helpful SL users, I'm not sure where to start and I have no idea how to stop!

But maybe we should mention Rolig since she's kind of half Linden.

Oh Rolig deserves higher praise than half Linden. :smileywink:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Loonden?

Funny you should say that. That's actually the original last name for LL employee accounts. But there was a misspelling back in 2002 so Loon Lab became Linden Lab and the Loondens became Lindens.

Not many people know this. I don't think it's even mentioned in the wikipedia.

ChinRey wrote:

Loonden?

Funny you should say that. That's actually the original last name for LL employee accounts. But there was a misspelling back in 2002 so Loon Lab became Linden Lab and the Loondens became Lindens.

Now we've got misspellings?

There may be more than one explanation for these things we're wondering about.

ChinRey wrote:

Loonden?

/me sighs

Oh well, if you have to know, yes, there is more. I was trying to simplify things here. It's quite a complicated and boring story and this discussion is way out of hand already.

But since you insist and promise not to blame me if you fall asleep from boredom halfway:

The misspelling wasn't actually from Loonden to Linden, it was Loonden to London. That caused a lot of misunderstandings of course but most seriously, the catering company started sending them tea instead of coffee for lunch - which again meant people kept falling asleep at work.

To avoid this, they changed the name to Linden. What they didn't realize, was that Linden is a word and tree more associated with German than English and by the time they started to notice the negative effects of beer for lunch every day, it was too late.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

You know the corporate address is on Linden Ave in San Francisco, right?

Yes but that's just a coincidence, no matter what wikipedia and the official story says.

It is also close to the SF Armory but that too is sheer coincidence (probably).

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

I'll go with coincidence up until you say you know the lat/long down to degree, minute and second.

I don't but I'm having second thoughts here. It's too convenient a story, isn't it? The kind of story they want us to believe. I once met a guy in SL who told me he had actually gone to RL San Francisco to visit Linden Lab. He claimed the building was locked up and empty.

It is a well known fact that all successful software companies start in mom's garage. Look at that building! What kind of mom would have a garage like that?

Need I say more?

Yes I do actually! The Armory was bought by its current owners in 2006, after Second Life had become a world hit. Obviously they bought it to be near what they erroneously believed was SL HQ.

ChinRey wrote:

ChinRey wrote:

Loonden?

/me sighs

Oh well, if you
have
to know, yes, there is more. I was trying to
simplify
things here. It's quite a complicated and boring story and this discussion is way out of hand already.

But since you insist and promise not to blame me if you fall asleep from boredom halfway:

The misspelling wasn't actually from Loonden to Linden, it was Loonden to London. That caused a lot of misunderstandings of course but most seriously, the catering company started sending them tea instead of coffee for lunch - which again meant people kept falling asleep at work.

To avoid this, they changed the name to Linden. What they didn't realize, was that Linden is a word and tree more associated with German than English and by the time they started to notice the negative effects of beer for lunch every day, it was too late.

Don't ever try to simply things for me, that just makes me angry.

And now we're getting somewhere. Had they changed their name to Sassafras, they could have made their noontime drink from the tree itself, yielding... get ready for it...

ROOT-BEER!!!

It's well known that root beer makes everything better.

And the initials of the company name would be SL, making it impossible to differentiate the product from the producer, causing even more confusion.

And if there's anything I like more than complexity, it's confusion.

That is understandable but keep in mind that this is not a private chat. It is a public forum and anything we write may well be read not only by the regular participants in our dicussions but also by people with lesser intellectual capacity. We do not want to alienate these unfortunates nor feed their inferiority complexes. Or at least we want to be a bit subtle when we do.

And now we're getting somewhere. Had they changed their name to Sassafras, they could have made their noontime drink from the tree itself, yielding... get ready for it...

ROOT-BEER!!!

Yes. Sadly, one of the many lost opportunities of the early days.

You know the earliest incarnation of Second Life (back when they still called it Sansara) had worms eating chicken rather than the other way round.

I rest my case (for a while - until it gets better)

ChinRey wrote:

That is understandable but keep in mind that this is not a private chat. It is a public forum and anything we write may well be read not only by the regular participants in our dicussions but also by people with lesser intellectual capacity.

Maddy's search for people with lesser intellectual capacity has been, so far, fruitless.

Did you notice how she spelled "simplify"?

You will have (as I have had) better luck if she's near.

ChinRey wrote:

Yes. Sadly, one of the many lost opportunities of the early days.

You know the earliest incarnation of Second Life (back when they still called it Sansara) had worms eating chicken rather than the other way round.

I rest my case (for a while - until it gets better)

Giant Scion Worms?!

Yet another lost opportunity. In addition to creating cool colored offspring via mating, you could create all manner of weird variations by regeneration...

...one one thousand, two one thousand...

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Maddy's search for people with lesser intellectual capacity has been, so far, fruitless.

Oh. Remind me to introduce her to some of my alts then.

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Did you notice how she spelled "simplify"?

Yes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.