Revoke the use of Security Orbs in Mainland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

wherorangi wrote:

thanks (:

+

when look at this map then can see that the number of red parcels is relative small compared to all the parcels on the route

is pretty much true this as well for most of the mainland grid. When we do hit a banline or get murdered by a orb, like more than once in a session, or have a bad run over a few days, then can sometimes seem that the whole world is out to kill us deliberately

+

when as you say, when asked, lots of people will respond quite positively when asked if they can put some time delay on greater than 0. Quite often people (particularly newish people) will get a orb and just plonk it down and press Go

same when they newish and put the parcel banlines on, to protect their skybox at 4000m. They just dunno what they dunno. So when they find out then they just go oh! sorry, and take the banlines down. bc they now know that the parcel banline doesnt do the job that they thought it did, and they go get a orb for their skybox

The map shows ban lines that aren't there any more on the left hand side.

You are right it is a tiny minority that cause problems. Most often it is down to the owners of the land getting confused over the settings. Twice this weekend I have spoken with land owners with banlines and in both cases they thought because they had ticked public access there would be no banlines and they could apply group restrictions in the other menus without causing any problems. The parcel settings aren't as clear as they should be. 9 times out of 10 they are set by accident.

There is one banline on that map however, (much reduced in size) so it is now basically just a wall shaped parcel extending in to the waterway owned by someone in the sadistic hacker group that has been there for as long as I remember. With a parcel of that size they aren't protecting anything, they are just griefing and enjoying causing problems for travellers.

Callum Meriman wrote:

, try the three continent sail/fly. Leave from Hollywood or SNO, fly north to continent 2, then right to continent three. BUT make a rule with yourself, try to make it at all costs. Sim crossing crashes, orbs, ban lines, friends IMing you so you run off world while sailing those silly little protected passages the Lab created... the lot. Make it a challenge and see if your skills are good enough to make it.

dunno if you had a go at this Callum yet. So i just put it here, and also for anyone else who might want to have a go

try the Starchild Rally. We have to drive a bumper/hover car that we dont own. (it goes on the water as well)

the short rally is from Sistiana to Dali. Start here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sistiana/218/85/27

has only ever been 3 people to make it to Dali. Phil was the last person to complete, so he is the current holder of the gold cup. Hugsy was the first. So if you complete then you will move to the gold cup. Phil to silver and Hugsy to bronze

+

the long Starchild Rally is here. Cliffoed to Pounce. Start here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cliffoed/47/196/38

only one person has completed so far. Altho is about 5 other people who are still seriously in the hunt, and lots of others who have another go, now and again

+

i think these rallys are the hardest and most difficult mainland vehicle competitions. bc we dont own the vehicles and if we get killed for any reason and lose the vehicle, then we have to start all over again from the beginning

also as well, the system tracks and reports on our progress in real-time, so that claims are automatic verified which tends to confirm who achieved what in a unbiased way. Which I think encourages people to keep coming back time after time, to have another go

You completed it? The last time I looked, you were the closest to the finish but not quite there. I just had another look and, although the cups are correct - it has me in 2nd place (silver cup) -, the map isn't up to date, so I don't know if you made it as far as possible, and I can't know that unless I complete it to see what the distance is. So did you actually get as far as it's possible to get?

yes

southwest corner of Pounce is the farest can go

+

eta:

on the race map the official finish line is at road end in Bagheera. I just kept going after I reached that

when I done it, Elysian never update the map for some weeks. Doesnt log in all that often. Can maybe send her a IM and when she gets then will update the map to mark where you are

we had a quick chat about why I was so slow. I explain about having to sit and wait for some of the sims to come up at the time. So was all good

+

eta more: pps

i just explain about waiting for sims to come up. I think will be useful info for any kind of travellers who get killed on sim crossings

since LL changed the grid so that sims idle down when unused, then we have wait at the sim border until the next sim (if idle) spins back up fully. Go to early and crasho

to tell when the next sim is back up fully, watch the minimap

when the next sim is fully up and the sim server knows that you are there (bc within draw distance of the sim) the minimap graphic image for that sim is fully detailed. Wait until it is then cross, and unless is a internets backbone network issue between you and the next sim server then you good to go and no crasho 

you'r putting quite usefull information here for travelers, would it perhaps be an idea to start a new post?

As long it's in this one about security orbs it will get lost as soon there are no posts added. A dedicated post would be easier to find ....

just my thoughts..

I don't think I have the patience to to wait that long. The furthest I got wasn't too far from the finish but it took me about half the time it took you to reach the finish. I got down there a few times and I needed to find another way to avoid a load of ban lines. It was a good period. Then I started getting killed at sim crossings and the good period had ended. Perhaps I'll do it, although, if you got as far as it's possible to get, there isn't much in the way of incentive for me- unless I can squeeze an extra metre out of it somehow :)

They both look like interesting and time consuming challenges.

I will have to have a go when i get a break from work and no chores to otherwise occupy me.

How long did the journeys take you? I didn't see times or sufficient info at the start locations to work out what the challenge was without you explaining it.

the rally is a distance race. How far can you go. The time taken is secondary. The distance travelled is measured in crow flies

so it doesnt matter what route you take. In my case in the Cliffoed rally I went thru 207 sims to get to the end. Phil and Hugsy (who on the podium as well) went shorter routes, thru less sims

it took me over 3 hours. Is 32kms [as crow flies]. My avg. speed was 9kph. So over 3 hours. If look at Phil's speed then he is going at 18kph avg. So will do it in less than 2 hrs

+

just a hint

in terms of time and safety then as far as possible go on the oceans. Like with the Cliffoed go north to the ocean and then west. Is a lot faster and less laggy and safer (assuming the grid is not getting funky when you have a go and crashes you)

also, the car has about a 2min delay before it deletes itself if you stand (or are unseated on a sim crossing) so can get back on and not lose the car if you quick. Used to be insta-delete as soon as unsit, so Elysian changed it to a delay to make it less harsh when have a difficult sim crossing and somehow get unseated

eta [crow flies]

wherorangi wrote:

also, the car has about a 2min delay before it deletes itself if you stand (or are unseated on a sim crossing) so can get back on and not lose the car if you quick. Used to be insta-delete as soon as unsit, so Elysian changed it to a delay to make it less harsh when have a difficult sim crossing and somehow get unseated

I didn't know that. In my more recent attempts, whenever I crashed on sim crossings I TPed to the start again to get another car. I never even looked for the car. Being able to get back on will make a big difference. So you got to the end by getting back on the car, eh? lol

I IMed Elysian, as you suggested, and she said she'd update the map. I know I wasn't all that far from the finish but I'm not certain where I was so it would be nice to see it on the map.

Aethelwine: I humongous help is a HUD that shows where banlines are. I was fortunate because someone gave me one when a few of us were doing the rallies and more-or-less commentating on our progresses in the forum. In places it's invaluable if your memory isn't 100%.

test the delete delay time before setting off. I think is 2 minutes but not absolutely exactly sure, I might be misremembering. Has been ages since I had a go. (Test by rez the car, drive it onto the road, then unsit and see how long)  

eta; typso

Phil Deakins wrote:

You were close, saying it's 2 minutes. It's actually 5 seconds - you were only 115 seconds out
:)

i must click really fast then. jejjeje (:

i remember breaking the anim and the camera on one sim crossing. jumped off and jumped back on to fix it (:

if ever make your own vehicle then can stop pretty much all camera and anim breakage on sim crossings if pause the script by polling for the avatar on sim changed. Polling also fixes a lot of AO anim and HUD camera breakages on sim crossings as well

the basics of polling is here: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Clearing-camera-params-on-unsits-issue/td-p/2845802

Wow. You people are crazy. Are you renting that plot of land on the Mainland? No? Then you dont have a say in what other people do on their plot that they pay for. Telling them they should pay a whopping ton more of money for privacy is just...it aint right. Go walk down the road.

wherorangi wrote:

if ever make your own vehicle then can stop pretty much all camera and anim breakage on sim crossings if pause the script by polling for the avatar on sim changed. Polling also fixes a lot of AO anim and HUD camera breakages on sim crossings as well

the basics of polling is here:

I'm not going to create my own vehicle. It wouldn't be any use for the rallies. When the anim and camera break, I'm usually repositioned just above the front of the car, and the camera is easily adjusted.

Unsits are different. I could sit on the car again if I do it in time (haven't tried it yet), or go back to the start and begin again.

Phil Deakins wrote:

You misunderstood what Rizzy was saying, which was, if you want to fly around without bumping into security devices, then you can get yourself a private sim. It was for flying around, not for privacy. You got it the wrong way round.

Oh. I guess I did. Sorry, Rizzy!

Phil Deakins wrote:

You misunderstood what Rizzy was saying, which was, if you want to fly around without bumping into security devices, then you can get yourself a private sim. It was for flying around, not for privacy. You got it the wrong way round.

Actually, Rizzy was saying exactly what was replied to.. If you look at the message he is replying to Rizzy states "If this boils down to people who are uppity about their privacy, LL provides in by offering private sims that users can either buy or rent from other users. " That reads to me like, "If you want privacy, go rent an island." Meaning we cant have privacy on mainland.

That's right. And it's just what I said. Chrismaky confirmed he'd got it the wrong way round.

It's this bit, "Telling them they should pay a whopping ton more of money for privacy is just...it aint right", that indicates he got it the wrong way round. Rizzy was telling the OP (flyer) to get a private sim so they wouldn't encounter security devices, because privacy is not what the OP was after.

Phil Deakins wrote:

That's right. And it's just what I said. Chrismaky confirmed he'd got it the wrong way round.

It's this bit, "
Telling them they should pay a whopping ton more of money for privacy is just...it aint right
", that indicates he got it the wrong way round. Rizzy was telling the OP (flyer) to get a private sim so they wouldn't encounter security devices, because privacy is not what the OP was after.

Phil... Rizzy IS the OP... He was telling us to get a private sim so flyers can fly unobstructed over ALL mainland..

There are some who play HUD based role play games that afk in their homes, perhaps they dont want to be killed in the game while they afk in their homes they pay for...hence the security orb set to 0 seconds because in some of those games if they can come in and attack for one second they will just do it over and over and over beating you til you are dead in the game system when you are afk..so thats why..and hey when I buy a house in my town, since I pay for my house..I am totally allowed to put locks on and not let you in my living room. I can also put up a locking fence around my entire property. Sorry if me not allowing you to run through my yard upsets you, its my yard stay off the grass.

JayWaters wrote:

There are some who play HUD based role play games that afk in their homes, perhaps they dont want to be killed in the game while they afk in their homes they pay for...hence the security orb set to 0 seconds because in some of those games if they can come in and attack for one second they will just do it over and over and over beating you til you are dead in the game system when you are afk..so thats why..and hey when I buy a house in my town, since I pay for my house..I am totally allowed to put locks on and not let you in my living room. I can also put up a locking fence around my entire property. Sorry if me not allowing you to run through my yard upsets you, its my yard stay off the grass.

If you put a clear wall up around your property that marks the limits of your security system, then no one would have a problem. They would be able to respect your space and avoid it, the problem those exploring have is when they are exploring and the first thing they know they have trespassed is being ejected.... The whole point of having sims linked together in the way mainland is, is to allow people to travel between them. The system as it is is dysfunctional.

JayWaters wrote:

That's not a good excuse for zero seconds. It may be a reason but it's not a good reason. If you don't want to be attacked in your home, turn the game off when you're there. If you can't do that, then get the creator to include a flag of some sort, so that attacks when flagged don't count.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.