Revoke the use of Security Orbs in Mainland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seriously, these things are annoying. 

Im flying over Mainland see an interesting place, and a blue window tells me to get off the land and gives me 1 second to do so and I'm teleported back to my starting place, now I'm just flying around on flight simulated wings, these things are worse for people who use vehicles. 

I don't get this logic of people buying mainland plots and then putting up private access or security orbs, if you value privacy so much please rent a plot at a private sim. 

Either revoke the usage of security orbs on Mainland or every one who makes these damn things, make it so that decent timer to allow people to vacate the premises. -.- 

After some thought I have decided to give in to offer the entitled flyers free passage over all land I have any say in - at an altitude of 4000m and up. Lots of room there. I encourage all to offer the same.Enjoy !

The flexibility you have with region data calls really is marvelous.

What you report is one of the primary reasons I "walk" around on mainland. I stick to the roads where Security Orbs aren't allowed to attack you. (Public roads are owned by LL's Department of Public Works and are open to every one.)

Unfortunately the makers of Security Orbs are only responding to the demands of their customers. There are some folks that are so adamant about having total privacy that they consider 1 second as "ample time to react". Clearly it isn't. But still .. it's their land and they are empowered to manage it in any way they want.

It's unpleasant, it's annoying .. and it can be avoided by sticking to the roads. It's also one of those "user to user" conflicts that LL stays away from with a passion.

It can be avoided yes, but question is, WHY should it be avoided when it shouldn't even be an issue in the first place. 
If this boils down to people who are uppity about their privacy, LL provides in by offering private sims that users can either buy or rent from other users. 

The reason for mainland and for it having roads is for exploration. 
Exploration isn't limited to just roads,  what about skies and water ways?

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

WHY should it be avoided when it shouldn't even be an issue in the first place. 

i totally agree with you, if you want to fly free go buy a sim or cluster.. nobody will put orbs for you there.

Mainland is NOT for exploration, the roads and PUBLIC areas are... all other is PRIVATE.

/me goes put a few more in the sky ....

Mainland is for Premium members. They get a specific size parcel with their membership fee. Thus it is included in their SL costs. Private Sims are open to anyone but they also require you to spend extra beyond your costs to use SL.

I would agree that Mainland is more "private" than so-called Private Sims. TBH I don't know of anyone that has a large tract of mainland just for the purposes of building exploration areas. But they do build them on Private Sims. "Exploring" mainland is more like "exploring" a gated community .. generally not a good idea.

That's what "Linden land" Is for. 

And if you want a private sim you will have to be a premium member as well. 
So when you become premium you have a choice between being able to purchase an entire sim or a parcel. 
The price of a parcel is not included in your membership this is a seperate cost that you pay to a previous land owner. 
Some of which are extremely absurd since they're next to a mainland road, its a damn shame if such property were to end up in the posession of a person who would just put up "No Access" to anyone when they could have the cheaper option to rent from a private sim and Mainland properties can be rented out to anyone as well. 

Why would someone want to buy land and be surrounded by other people if they just want to be left alone? 
It's counter intuitive and illogical when an alternative and better solution is readily availble. 

Secondly, it's damn inconvinient to people who enjoy exploring being bounced around banlines, and if they're on vehicles they have to find another rez spot to rez their vehcles, this is just banlines though which can be avoided if Linden labs made them more visible from afar. 

Im talking about Security orbs like PDS and other alike, that EJECT and TELEPORT you off a parcel in 1 - 3 seconds. 

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

Either revoke the usage of security orbs on Mainland

I propose the opposite - that we revoke the use of flying vehicles on Mainland.

Every couple of weeks someone wanders in here ranting about how they can't fly over parcels they don't own and how inconsiderate landowners don't leave enough spare prims for region transfers.

Clearly this show of entitlement will keep happening as long as people think flying vehicles over mainland is a right. Some people just cannot be trusted to figure out how Second Life works, and how it has always worked.

For those who struggle with satire: This argument works both ways - and both ways are stupid. Landowners pay for the ability to control their land, get over it.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

I propose the opposite - that we
revoke the use of flying vehicles on Mainland

Every couple of weeks someone wanders in here ranting about how they can't fly over parcels they don't own and how inconsiderate landowners don't leave enough spare prims for region transfers.

Clearly this show of entitlement will keep happening as long as people think flying vehicles over mainland is a
right
, rather than a privilege. Some people just cannot be trusted to figure out how Second Life works, and how it has always worked.

For those who struggle with satire: This argument works both ways - and both ways are stupid. Landowners
pay
for the ability to
control their land
, get over it.

Clearly we need a Security Orb forum. 

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

I propose the opposite - that we
revoke the use of flying vehicles on Mainland

Clearly this show of entitlement will keep happening as long as people think flying vehicles over mainland is a
right
, rather than a privilege. Some people just cannot be trusted to figure out how Second Life works, and how it has always worked.

For those who struggle with satire: This argument works both ways - and both ways are stupid. Landowners
pay
for the ability to
control their land
, get over it.

Pilots pay for the ability to fly their airplanes in Second Life. 
Get over it. 

I suggest you learn what satire is, your application of it is dismal.

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

Pilots 
pay 
for the ability to 
fly their airplanes
in Second Life. 

Get over it. 

I checked this. Turns out they pay for the airplanes. :D

Buying airplanes confers no privileges to fly in any location. Nowhere ever is the right to fly mentioned anywhere, and buying stuff doesn't mean you're allowed to use it wherever you please. Money spent on airplanes doesn't go anywhere except to the creators of the airplanes, who don't control the skies in any way.

Pilots are welcome to fly over their own land - all other land is probably paid for by someone else, who gets full rights over who (and what) can enter.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

Pilots 
pay 
for the ability to 
fly their airplanes
in Second Life. 

Get over it. 

I checked this. Turns out they pay for the
airplanes
:D

Buying airplanes confers no privileges to fly in any location. Pilots are welcome to fly
over their own land
- all other land is probably paid for by someone, who gets full rights over who (and what) can enter.

They pay for the airplanes to do what?

And people who want to be left alone can go ahead and purchase land from a private sim where they will be left alone away from people who explore Second Life by land, sea or air. 

And am I even talking about airplanes, did you even bother to read the Original Post? 

I do hope you don't pick up the hobby flying, and why are you so obsessed with pilots considering this isn't a topic about pilots.

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

This is fun but you seem to have trouble understanding how privileges work. I'm not surprised you're confused.

They pay for the airplanes. That's all. Purchasers own a license to list the airplane in their inventory and access it as next-owner. All the money goes to the creator, for access to this license.

Buying airplanes doesn't give you any power to control land, buying land does. Tier goes to Linden Lab, Linden Lab confer parcel rights to control access.

This is basic. If pilots paid a 'tax' (to Linden Lab) specifically to use the airspace you'd maybe - maybe - have the beginnings of an argument, but they don't pay for squat. Therefore no privileges.

You want privileges, you pay for them. From Linden Lab. Like landowners do.

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

Pilots 
pay 
for the ability to 
fly their airplanes
in Second Life. 

Get over it. 

they pay for it to own a object... no different than a prim cube, house or exotic artwork.... nothign more, nothing less...

As the house owner also needs to pay for land, you should too. If you want to fly...buy lots of land and feel free as a bird...on YOUR land.

I haven't read the thread yet and I'm sure that plenty of people have told you that it's a silly request, and the reasons why. But I'm in a jolly mood so I thought I throw a post into the mix :)

I created and sell a security 'orb', and I can tell you that its users have the option of setting as long a delay before eviction as they please. I have no doubt at all that ALL such devices are the same in that respect. That's your 3rd request adequately answered.

Your 2nd request is just as easy to answer. I own some mainland because it's cheaper than renting from another user. Also the longevity of it is guaranteed as long as SL exists, so there's no possibility of the land either disappearing, or passed on to another owner, who makes it more expensive or even evicts the tenants. No way should anyone go to that expense just to make things less annoying for you.

I doubt that any orb only gives you 1 second to depart, so I think you lied about that. I don't know that you did, but I think you did. That said, some don't give enough time to continue flying off the other side of the plot before they evict you, but that is down to the owner and not the creator. So it's the orb's owner who you have a problem with. A polite note to the owner, explaining that you can't even fly straight across, etc., can work wonders. Owners don't always realise it. I've done that successfully myself. I am sure that most orbs allow time to keep on flying all the way across the plot without affecting the transition at all.

So, instead of suggesting the revoking of the use of security orbs, why not push for a minimum delay before eviction? That would make much more sense, and would suit everyone.

Rizzy Khaos wrote:

It can be avoided yes, but question is, WHY should it be avoided when it shouldn't even be an issue in the first place. 

If this boils down to people who are uppity about their privacy, LL provides in by offering private sims that users can either buy or rent from other users. 

I was going to reject that statement but then saw that Alwin beat me to it.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Clearly we need a Security Orb forum. 

Perhaps this would enable over-entitled pilots to better strategise. Perhaps collaborate on a workable defence.

These arguments are old and tired, they sound so childish now.

Could use a fair fight.
:D

Maybe a sticky explaining the concept of private property?

Pamela Galli wrote:

Maybe a sticky explaining the concept of private property?

Oooo that could be good. I used to like those arguments - whether private property exists on digital platforms at all. Maybe draw lines in the sand imagining The Commons while calling each other Marxists and WageSlaves. Technocrats and Luddites.

Or maybe I've just gotten old and tired of banality.

seeing as how you want to pay then I had a good idea

ask a orb maker to put in a pay option for you

like when you fly over somebodys parcel then the orb launches a jet fighter interceptor. Then the jet fighter zooms up by you and says: right-click on me and pay me the 10L safe passige corridor fee over this land or I will shoot you down. You have 3 seconds to pay or will be doom for you

(:

wherorangi wrote:

seeing as how you want to pay then I had a good idea

ask a orb maker to put in a pay option for you

like when you fly over somebodys parcel then the orb launches a jet fighter interceptor. Then the jet fighter zooms up by you and says: right-click on me and pay me the 10L safe passige corridor fee over this land or I will shoot you down. You have 3 seconds to pay or will be doom for you

(:

Genius!

Except to the "all ur stuffs belong to me" crowd.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.