Griefing Attack Footage at Second Life

Steve Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Griefing Attack Footage at Second Life is a film made during a griefer action.

Basically the griefer rezzed a box, which contain a script that emits sounds and particles (textures). The main problem with this kind of attack is that the box emits too many particles using too much server resouces, causing crashes in some SIMs.

The griefer was reported to Linden Lab.

• Like 1

Great video!  That's handy to have when you file an AR.  If you are victimized by this sort of attack in the future, remember to use CTRL - Alt - Shift - +  to turn off particles on your own screen. Particles are a client-side effect, so they can't cause the sim's servers to lag but they can overwhelm your own graphics card under some circumstances, causing rendering lag for you or maybe even making you crash.  Turning off particles also makes it easier to see where the emitters are, so you can clean up the mess faster. 

Good reporting job. And good that you didn't zoom in on some of the pictures as they were obscene and gross and that would get your film removed from here. But it's important to keep documenting this.

Don't be fooled by the fake "Stop Racism" hippie-style sign you see spewing -- other pictures this griefer spewed are indeed racist and of course obscene and broadly offensive.

Among the many broadly-offensive memes spewed is my real-life picture : )

It's pretty creepy being summoned by tenants agitated by a grief attack only to be greeted by a giant RL picture of yourself flashing over a sim. Not for the first time, but it's always a shock.

There's a tendency to view these attacks as just random, just bored young kids. That's not the case. They're from Anonymous, and they are very concerted, organized and there are perfectly grown men behind them. Their purpose is to control the Internet, so it is only used as they feel it should be used, and not in any other way. It really is a case of "they hate our freedom" when it comes to the creativity of virtual worlds that can be used for socializing, education and business.

These pictures are assembled by very definite groups in SL, LL knows who they are, there are very definite texture UUIDs, there are very specific vaults of these textures and scripts used in attacks which are held by a number of main accounts for whom these are the alts, there are very specific groups on the alts --even the alt names all help identify them.

The Lindens are swift for the most part in removing them. But we all know that there are certain groups/sims they don't remove which are the root of this.

I personally find it helpful to remind the Huffington Post's Ken Lerer, an investor, and now Ron Conway, noted early Google investor, that their investment in Canvas by Moot is part of what enables this sort of Anonymous attack to continue. Moot is the owner of the 4chan.org site (made an advisor in Lerer's company), and 4chan.org is the source and repository -- and incitement and coordination zone -- for a lot of these attacks in SL and elsewhere. The support by Silicon Valley investors of these goons' "creativity" and the ensuing whitewashing of their reputation enables them to go on harassing others under the radar and harming other people's businesses. If every business harmed by these sorts of Anonymous attacks wrote to Ken Lerer and Ron Conway about their unwise investment decisions, we might see some change. Little else would work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/technology/internet/14poole.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Ken%20Lerer&st=cse

• Like 1

Actually the griefer has been doing it for months. I took this land in January 2011, and I was prevented from building my store for several weeks. I have already made many ARs to LL, but up to now nothing has being done. On the other day, the griefer changed from alt to alt several times, I have reported as many as 4 alts at once.

The griefer actually rezz his/her box in an adjacent SIM, but the particles go across many SIMs.

Thank you for clarifying the issue server vs client effects!

I don´t have so much difficult to figure out where the box which emits the particles is as I have a quite porwerful machine, tough this griefer has made SL to crash on the other day.

I wish LL would finally get their heads out of their collective asses and start actually adding _working_ privacy/anti-griefer measures. What they have right now is only good enough to get script kiddies.

With free accounts it's simply impossible to stop griefers from creating new accounts, regardless of open- or closed source, regardless of hardware- or IP bans. PIOF requirement (but still free play) would possibly limit it to the truly criminal griefers, but it'd probably also kill SL.

In my opinion, true privacy would mean adding a few (relatively) simple features:

1. Remember the checkboxes "Limit sound to this parcel"? Add one that blocks sound from OTHER parcels.
2. Add a similar checkbox "Limit objects to this parcel" and "Do not show objects on neighboring parcels".
3. Allow people to return prims that overlap into their land. If there's so much as a hair sticking into someone elses land, it should be returnable by the parcel owner. Also, if land is set to no object entry, that should mean not even a hair of a prim should enter.

That's just for starters. An overhaul of the buggy and limited permission system would be nice too, but that's non-trivial.

Neither of the options listed above should be terribly hard to implement, but would effectively kill a fair amount of griefing attacks. Alas, LLs history shows that they've got no intention nor interest in protecting their residents in any way shape or form.

• Like 2

We been dealing with that stuff in Kuula for a while too.  It got really heavy during the holidays.  It took bloody ages to get a labbie over to clean up.  So, I IM'd around and got that it was a bloody grid wide attack which overwhelmed support and led to a 45 minute wait. DX

I don't think it's any one person, but, it's surely all the same script.  It pretty much can't be stopped unless LL turns off all resident's ability to compile LSL/Mono. (._.)

• Like 1

Prok, Anonymous is "just bored young kids". The only organization is that they happen to hang out on the same forums. Making it seem like any more will just get you stressed out :)

In your particular case, it is probably just some small group of people that don't like you, sitting in their basement making alts over and over thinking they are 1337 hackers because they can use a proxy.

Never give them the satisfaction of thinking they are any more then this.

All you need is a nearby parcel with rez enabled. I won't go into details. But it won't matter if you have every option there is including object entry disabled as long as it is enabled on a nearby parcel in the same sim.

Luckily most griefers don't know the tricks.

Dante...the griefer in question is not a hacker, but just a fool. I know very well this script -- it started with Sponge Bob textures, then people added some more of them. As I said all one has to do is to rezz this box -- even a monkey can do that, with some training a dog can do the same.

Another point is that this person doesn´t know me at all. He/she rezz the box in an adjacent SIM, and use many alts. The last one I reported to LL had Payment info used, so our griefer has indentified himself to LL at some point through Paypal or credit card. Now LL has to notice this detail and track our griefer down, tough I don´t believe they will pay attention to that.

Laetizia...I´d not say it is a success. This person is taking the time to rezz these boxes for months now. I infer that this person´s life is very boring, as he/she has nothing better to do. As Dante pointed out he/she may have something against someone in the adjacent SIM.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

3. Allow people to return prims that overlap into their land. If there's so much as a hair sticking into someone elses land, it should be returnable by the parcel owner. Also, if land is set to no object entry, that should mean not even a hair of a prim should enter.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Would be fine. i have for months now a palm on my ground attached to another palm that is the root prim of the whole object in an abandoned piece of land... Reported.. nothing. LL seems to be unable to even clean abandoned parcels...

Steve Beck wrote:

Dante...the griefer in question is not a hacker, but just a fool. I know very well this script -- it started with Sponge Bob textures, then people added some more of them. As I said all one has to do is to rezz this box -- even a monkey can do that, with some training a dog can do the same.

That was my whole point. Thanks for backing me up :)

Griefing is surely unwholesome.

I am usually too busy with church related activities to ever feel as crummy as griefers to purposely exasperate my online comrades.

So, I think we need to spread that God-given morality our Lord and saviour shared with us, then maybe people won't purposely exasperate online citizens of the internet community! :smileyhappy:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.