Banned Words in Display Names

Stacie Sweetwater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My SL daughter would like to change her display name so her last name is the same as mine, "Sweetwater". But when she tries... she gets the message "Sorry, we could not set your requested name becuase it contains a banned word.". I tried changing my display name with the same last name, and got the same message.

I have two questions, Why is "Sweetwater" a banned word? And is there a list of banned words... so we know what not to use?

Cinnamon Lohner wrote:

I don't think there's a list.  But just guessing that the problem is the word **bleep**  in Swee
**bleep**
er.  Seems like their dirty word filter needs cleaning :smileyvery-happy:

--Cinn

PS  I guess I provided my point.   The Bleeps say it all!

You might want to be careful because it seems that masked vulgarity is also a no no here in the forums, I and others have gotten warnings for it. 

@OP. It is the word between Swee and er. 

Vincent Nacon wrote:

Sweetwater isn't even a word...  add a space. 
:)

It is, however, a place name, and – within certain limits – those can end up as family names. Then again, Sweetwater may just as well be a play on the existing RL surname Sweetland (which started as a place name too).

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Yes, it is ridiculous. This is nothing at all new on the Internet, and is one of the reasons why Scunthorpe has an entry in Wikipedia

You have to wonder if the Lindens know what they're doing when this sort of thing happens.

Yeah, they probably know it. And they probably can't fix it.

As a similar example, noone ever could register "Massimo" or "Cassandra" as their Second Life name because those names include the "a-s-s" letters (maybe this changed after Display Names release: I have no idea).

This was reported as a bug, confirmed by Torley Linden as a non-perfect but unavoidable behaviour, and then closed with a "Won't Finish" status. I have no time to find a direct link, but it's in JIRA.

Linden Lab didn't create this forum platform or the spam/profanities filters it uses. They probably can't fix its problems. Nonetheless, they had to choose a platform over another, and I bet that their choice hasn't been influenced by filters and other minor features.

Yawn.

Stacie Sweetwater wrote:

"Sweetwater" was the last name I chose when I joined SL almost 3 years ago (back when you had to do that). I like the name... and I don't want to change it.

But that's not the point... I'd like to know what's wrong with a word the Lindens said was good 3 years ago?

Please read my previous answer. Torley Linden stated they were not able to change those fillters the way they would like to. This suggests the filter system they're using is not flexible enough, which may explain incongrous changes.

I had a similar problem for a while with my own name. When 'resident' names came about I had the darndest trouble making 'Pussycat' as an alt, and 'Bunny' (my two main accounts having those first names).

The first I could understand being the product of a poorly coded word filter, the second baffled me.

If I was to guess, It could be Lindens allows for Unicode letters and the banned word contained in the name could be emphasized.  One thing you could do is speak with lindens since you are the parent and wish your child to have your last name to allow you both to enjoy SL together.   I think it's great you both are enjoying SL together and linden's should encourage Parental involvement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.