Jump to content

Unti Kamala

Resident
  • Content Count

    21
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Unti Kamala

  • Rank
    Member
  1. Also, Asus has been pretty consistently at the top of various reliability statistics (that is, the least number of problems in a couple of years of use) while Acer tends to be somewhere in the bottom half. The difference isn't necessarily big enough to matter though, at least to anyone besides my mum...
  2. I think I got the parody the first time; sorry for appearing inappropriately serious. That's just the kind of weird I am – when giving out RL business cards, I usually have the side on top that has the info in hieroglyphs. Makes for a great conversation starter with people who are trying to sell intrusion detection systems... Anyway, back to the topic: if you can handle the language, Chaucer's blog is hilarious. It's a pity that he's been awfully quiet lately, but the archives are of course still there.
  3. Sigmund Leominster wrote: (a) Use lots of "thee's," "thou's," and "thine's." (b) Stick "-eth" and "-est" on the end of verbs. "Where goeth thou?" or "Willst thee tarry for a spell?" © Avoid French words. Sure, Chaucer was flinging them out there like the best of 'em, but Beowulf contains nare a Frenchified locution. There you have it. Let me know how you get on - send me a chat log Um. a) thou was indeed the second person singular pronoun, but pretty early on it became polite to talk to one's social superiors (and later equals) using the second person plural. So, thou art my servant but ye are my master. On the other hand, the singular remained the longest in contexts that imply great intimacy, such as God, I am thy servant. b) -th is the third person singular suffix: I hope Lara readeth this; -st is (as seen in a), above) the second person singular suffix. An e will be added or the s omitted as necessary. Where goest thou? or Wilst thou tarry for a spell? The hours fly, my lady doth protest and so forth. That's Early Modern English, found in the King James Bible or Shakespeare's works. Middle English, as written by Chaucer and the like, is a bit harder to read but still possible; look at Google for 'Geoffrey Chaucer hath a blog' if you want a modern take on it. Beowulf is originally in Old English, also called Anglo-Saxon, and as seen from the passage earlier in this thread it's pretty much just another foreign language. Then again, what do I know – for me even modern English is a foreign language. Still, Carole's chat log made my retinas hurt.
  4. Yes, most people seem to have a 'base' form they feel comfortable with. Some are pretty consistently human, others something very different. That's the way with me too, much to my surprise. Back when, I thought I'd use the opportunity to try different looks: male, female, human, furry, robot, swirling vortex of trash. In a way it was fun to teach a class simultaneously in both worlds, with the RL and SL versions dressed identically but different genders. Still, that experimental phase lasted only for a couple of months, and after that I've been almost exclusively a (human) woman roughly based on a high school picture of the RL me. Still, it's nice to have a bearded skin for the benefit of wannabe Romeos, or a tiny owl avi in case there's need to be a cute chick.
  5. Of course, this assumes that people would leave if given a choice and ignores (or at least downplays) the possibility that some may already be choosing other grids over SL because they know they cannot re-use elsewhere what they create here. IRL, free trade tends to benefit the established industrial countries over the smaller and less developed...
  6. Ah, yes, I see your point. It looks like I'm getting a bit too good at ignoring LL's promotion of 'special' days.
  7. Like the anti- (and some pro-) Mubarak protests in various Egyptian sims, or the Japan disaster relief drive, or various carneval events all over the world, or... Oops
  8. Quinn Morani wrote: In RL I'm 5'3" on a tall day, so in SL I wanted to be a bit on the taller side. I'm looking at it from the other direction, so to speak. At a bit over 6', the RL me could do a credible skyscraper impersonation but in SL the same height puts me around the average or perhaps even just below. No complaints here!
  9. Matty Luminos wrote: This is why pants with prim cuffs are so popular. Another reason is that the trouser legs only reach down to the ankles even at maximum length. That's fine with flats, but most of women's shoes have heels that would be absurd IRL...
  10. I thought they just said they wouldn't care about votes. That is, it's still possible to vote but they use their own criteria to make their decisions about which issues to tackle in which order, and the number of votes is no longer a concern at all.
  11. Vincent Nacon wrote: Sweetwater isn't even a word... add a space. It is, however, a place name, and – within certain limits – those can end up as family names. Then again, Sweetwater may just as well be a play on the existing RL surname Sweetland (which started as a place name too).
  12. Adromaw Lupindo wrote: But it is a social networking site, in 3D. In one sense it is, of course. However, looking at it from another angle, it is very different from other kinds of social networking. LL used to promote it as a virtual world – as the name Second Life suggests – but the current display name setup directs people towards viewing it less as a world and more as a service on the net. I'm not saying this is entirely a bad thing, just that it is one of the consequences of the change. And I'd still love to hear some explanation of what went on within LL when they made their decisions about whether and how to implement display names.
  13. I'd guess the TPV's may have something to do with this, too: some of the more popular ones show a reasonably accurate height on the edit appearance screen, not just the smaller-than-life number that LlGetAgentSize() reports.
  14. Yes, most Internet users are used to having a separate 'login' name and a 'full' name. That's actually one of the issues here. The old system of a personal and a family name was something most residents were used to having in the physical world. On the other hand, a single-name login plus a separate display name makes SL feel more like a social networking site, like a web forum or Twitter, than a (secondary) world. I have no idea of what went on inside LL when they planned this, what their reasons were and what kind of scenarios they saw as a result. However, I have a nagging feeling that they did not realise all the implications of the change. And that's a problem too: they changed a system that wasn't really broken into one that doesn't work any better, and didn't really explain why (or even give the impression that they had a reason beyond someone high enough wanting it badly enough).
  15. Heh, yes, some people get ticked off by this sort of uncertainty. Back when I was very young I tried at first to go for a totally androgynous look and a little later changed genders more or less at random, just because it's possible. During this sort-of-androgynous phase a gentleman tried to hit on me right on Orientation Island. I wasn't interested (my RL self is quite solidly married to someone who doesn't frequent this world, and besides it didn't seem the place to look for romance), but only after I said so he started questioning whether I was male or female. When I told him I wasn't sure and asked what he thought, he got rather upset and left in a huff...
×
×
  • Create New...