Logged out while writing forum post

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Resently the forum service has changed in a rather annoying way

1. You can not stay logged in as long as we used to
  2. When logging back in you are not on the site you were but are forced to look at BLOGS
  3. I am repeatedly logged out while editing, and before I have a chance to save what I wrote
    In this case it is super annoying not to stay where you were logged out

Does anyone have a good explanation for this change in behavior?

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

BUGS in the system. It keeps forgetting I am logged in, which posts I have already read, and occasionally deletes my rude posts without notification.

***Being relatively paranoid, I initially assumed that LL was testing an "annoy the critics" interrupt mechanism, but being relatively realistic I reckon it's merely continuing incompetence on their part***

LlewLlwyd wrote:

occasionally deletes my rude posts without notification.

I doubt it's discriminating supra-threshold rudeness. I've witnessed the (same?) silent deletion mechanism when I've linked to the dangerous Universe. (It's remarkable for taking effect not during posting but rather slightly post-posting.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

In
, Freya suggests an explanation for
how
we're ending up at the dreaded Blogs. The "why" -- what they were trying to fix when they broke this -- may be forbidden knowledge.

THESE amnesiacal aberrations are more recent (just the last week or so) and presumably indicate further failing attempts by LL to synchronise login validation across their various web properties.

***As has been suggested, perhaps it is part of the attempted development of a consistent interface across the current SL and the new platform and if so, the new platform must be in a mess***

Qie Niangao wrote:

LlewLlwyd wrote:

occasionally deletes my rude posts without notification.

I doubt it's discriminating supra-threshold rudeness. I've witnessed the (same?) silent deletion mechanism when I've linked to the dangerous Universe. (It's remarkable for taking effect not
during
 posting but rather slightly
post-posting
.)

IT'S part of the alpha status AI moderation system.

***Where AI stands for "Artificial Idiocy"***

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Resently the forum service has changed in a rather annoying way
  1. You can not stay logged in as long as we used to
  2. When logging back in you are not on the site you were but are forced to look at BLOGS
  3. I am repeatedly logged out while editing, and before I have a chance to save what I wrote

In this case it is super annoying not to stay where you were logged out

Does anyone have a good explanation for this change in behavior?

:smileysurprised:
:)
:smileyvery-happy:

It happens to me too, I ranted about it in this post:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Forums-Feedback/quot-Community-Forums-quot-Sign-in-rant-D/m-p/2920409#M4787

It happened even now as I was replying to your post. Clearly something is broken.

:smileyfrustrated:

What I find happening, besides the initial page now being the Blogs, is as I enter the forums, bring up the first topic of interest, and then return to message listings, I am no longer logged in.  Sometimes just hitting the log in button will bring me back, other times it takes me all the way back out to the sign in page.  This is usually just for the first go, but can repeat at times.  I seem to have no trouble posting (crosses fingers).

I go away for a couple of weeks and these forums fall apart. Has anybody managed to obtain any Linden comment regarding the continuing problem, information that is sadly missing from the JIRA, or are they laughing about their most recent deterrent to participation being so annoying?

• 2 weeks later...

Linden Lab wrote:

Though we don't currently have an update on what started the change in behavior, we are working on indentifying and addressing the cause.

It might be more useful to identify the cause; just changing the tab settings won't help that much.

Presumably you have logs of changes made to the login processes.

Or maybe you don't.

Linden Lab wrote:

Though we don't currently have an update on what started the change in behavior, we are working on indentifying and addressing the cause.

Good to know that you are working on it. :smileyhappy:

But the the BUG report about this issue https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-8953 still has:

Assignee: Unassigned

From that, one could get a wrong idea that nobody is actually working on it.  :smileyindifferent:

Really this may be one of those situations where working on it while still not working on it is win-win.  And I mean for everyone.

Or I might be wrong.

Well, you know that the JIRA will say awaiting review.  Also there is something called Triage... that's a French word maybe.  Anyway...don't tell anyone but Triage is actually a type of review.  It's the review that's done in the initial stage to decide what to work on first... like priority-wise.   Now in this case the LL is working on the problem before deciding what to work on.  See?  It's like the super efficient version of doing Triage... cuz they skipped it entirely.

Now another good thing is going on here.   By never doing a Triage the LL leaves the door open  to everyone continuing to comment in the JIRA.  That way they get maximum dialog with their users.  It's totally symbiotic.  Okay, they aren't participating  in the diolog over there in JIRA land but they are here.  It's all connected cloud-wise so just go with  the flow.

There's another JIRA thing that's happening too...oh yeah.  The one where residents don't get their EMailed IMs.   It's not assigned to anyone to work on but clearly it's getting worked on cuz the LL is dialoging in the JIRA on that one.  And they want more information.   More people telling them the names of all the Email systems that are blocking their message and what region they got blocked from.

Okay, I admit I don't know if there's anyway to tell if triage has happened or not.... unless you can't comment anymore?  Is that still a policy?  Maybe it's like the no voting policy where you can still vote to bring back voting.

My Grandad was a farmer who disdained the sort of progress monitoring that so delights modern day project managers.

"A fence ain't a fence until it's done; you cain't 'av 'alf a fence or almost all a fence because the sheep dun know that it's a fence if they can get through the bit where it ain't a fence yet."

My wife has the same philosophy.

"Have you taken the rubbish out?"

"I'm doing it."

"Yes, but have you DONE it!"

LlewLlwyd wrote:

My Grandad was a farmer who disdained the sort of progress monitoring that so delights modern day project managers.

"A fence ain't a fence until it's done; you cain't 'av 'alf a fence or almost all a fence because the sheep dun know that it's a fence if they can get through the bit where it ain't a fence."

"I'm doing it."

Does she also ask you, "If it's in yet?"

Perrie Juran wrote:

LlewLlwyd wrote:

"A fence ain't a fence until it's done; you cain't 'av 'alf a fence or almost all a fence because the sheep dun know that it's a fence if they can get through the bit where it ain't a fence."

"I'm doing it."

That was below the belt Perrie. ;-)

Derek Torvalar wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

LlewLlwyd wrote:

"I'm doing it."

That was below the belt Perrie. ;-)

You're right. 

And I should know better than to lower myself to his standards.

I'll go back to my corner now.

Perrie Juran wrote:

LlewLlwyd wrote:

"I'm doing it."

To be honest, I have trouble remembering events that last occurred before the end of the Vietnam War.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.