Why no SL Lotto?

mirbaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

mirbaz wrote:

Would be great if we could win a million linden that way, what prevents that from happening here?

Let's see....

1) A Sponsor

2) The laws in the State of California where Linden Lab maintains its corporate headquarters

3) The laws of the US of A

...to name just a few.

Syo Emerald wrote:

You haven't read the previous answers, did you?

- In California Lotto is run by the government

- Lotto is a kind of gambling, which is restricted by quite a bunch of laws

- The ToS of SL is not gambeling-friendly

Well, sure.  You could have said "You haven't read the TOS have you?"

Not reading the TOS?  We see a lotto that here.

Clearly the TOS forbids gambling.

While at the same time the LL

• will take your money
  • for which you hope to get something
  • while they reserve the right to give you nothing

So you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Gambling forbidden.  You still get to gamble.   It's not win-win but it's something.

Gambling is covered by state laws, and SL users are in every state of the country. Also there are federal laws concerning interstate gambling. I won't say that it is impossible, but it would be very difficult and expensive for  Linden to enter the on-line gambling business. SL residents would lose money, Linden would probably either make very little or lose, RL lawyers would make the money.

I am a a lawyer in RL, so I should not complain :)

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Well, sure.  You could have said "You haven't read the TOS have you?"

Not reading the TOS?  We see a lotto that here.

Clearly the TOS forbids gambling.

While at the same time the LL
  • will take your money
  • for which you hope to get something
  • while they reserve the right to give you nothing

So you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Gambling forbidden.  You still get to gamble.   It's not win-win but it's something.

Speaking of things of which we haven't seen a lotto, at least  here in the GD forum: Hello to the Forum's Favorite Chipmunk. I did see your name now and then in Answers and other places so I knew you'd returned from hybernation, but you've not visited us very often.

Happy New Year. I bet  you'd love the homemade sugared and spiced pecans that I've got a big ole mason jar full of, thanks to a co-worker's spouse. I'll have one, or possibly a handful,  in your honor.

mirbaz wrote:

Would be great if we could win a million linden that way, what prevents that from happening here?

Linden Labs is not a sovereign government. It cannot over-write the gambling laws of the jurisdiction it exists within to make a state-sponsored form of gambling... as, again, it is not a government.

Its rather peculiar that this perception that the owners of virtual worlds are sovereign nations of their little digital playgrounds persists. This weird idea is not limited to just Second Life - you see it in MMOs all the time when people say things like "camping people's corpse's in PvP is against the laws of the game", and so on... there are no 'laws' here. Only rules and terms. The laws are set by the government - which exists outside of the company that hosts the 'game / platform / etc'.

mirbaz wrote:

Apart from various minor legal obstacles inconveniently put in the way by US legislation, there is perhaps the attitude of respect towards the muslim proscription of gambling:

Satan’s plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and
gambling
, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?

Surah 5:91

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.