PS3 Home or Minecraft?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life evidently has decided to go in the direction of Sony's HOME virtual world, with beautiful graphics, professionally made content, and lots of inworld games.

No more clunky inworld build tools like with Minecraft.

Except HOME is closing and Minecraft was just sold for $2,500,000,000.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minecraft was one of the things where everything came together, which happens once in a lifetime. Right time, right place, huge amount of luck, or whatever you want to call it.

It's like comparing Second Life with Facebook, as a social network platform. Facebook is another example where everything came togehter, right time, right place, huge amount of luck, or whatever you want to call it.

If it would be that easy to create something successful like Minecraft, or Facebook, everybody would do it everyday.

So comparing even rather similar platforms like SL and PS Home, doesn't mean much really. None of the Minecraft clones will be as successful as Minecraft is. Same with SL, none of the other virtual worlds could be as successful as Second Life is. Right time, right place... So PS Home was doomed right from the start anyway.

was more about the space being for hobbyists rather than only for professionals in the creative space that Pamela is talking about. There are more hobbyists creatives than there are professional creatives in the RL

would be good if LL address this in the betterworld they making

+

also

if i was Oz Linden then

i would put a person onto making fitted mesh modifiable. Meaning that is made possible for a current SL resident to change the weights of a current SL mesh garment they are wearing

examples

i am wearing a fitted mesh dress. Is perfect except for this tiny piece on the shoulder. On some animations it dont deform exactly. A tiny piece of skin shows thru. I would like to select this tiny area and pull it out a fraction

i am wearing a hair. Is nearly perfect. except for this one strand on the fringe. It touches my forehead. I like to pull that out a bit as well. Is also a long strand that is out from my body a bit far. I would like to be able to select it and move it in a bit

i am wearing a coat. It nearly fits over this top I have. I would like to be able to move the vertices so that it fits every where. Same with this other top. It would be even more perfect if I could pull the bottom out so it fits over these jeans I get from someone else. And on the jeans I would like to push the bottoms in a tiny bit so they fit inside my boots perfectly

etc etc 

i dont want to add or remove vertices. I just want to be able to move them a bit from the original base weight setting when the creator has set the fitted mesh object to Mod

basically if i cant make it from scratch to a professional standard myself then at least let me be able to mod it. That I am professional at. Same as many hobbyists are. To make it look and be perfect. Instead of just nearly perfect

+

edit add: extrusion tool

is not just me who wants this. Every creative who makes mesh clothes would love it. Upload and then be able to tweak inworld before set for sale. If we got then I probably wont have to do myself as a customer hardly ever

Yes to most but...is not relevant if we don't make clothes

And we can still create in world for..in world that is not focussed on outworld display of yet another human body.

And inworld we can still make places that are not just throwaway backdrops for the latest shoot.

And we can take that with us every where.

And some of us do.

Yes. And does that obviate the fact that some of us still enjoy creating in world. Or out world to bring in and play with.

Or the fun of it all.

The base thrill of .. no I expect you all forget rezzing your first prim. I still have mine

Maybe I should put it on some auction site :)

Thrill still not gone here. Sorry

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

irihapeti wrote about a skillion adjustments she'd like to make to her avatar and mesh clothing, to make it all fit well. 

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of one of Void Singer's avatars. In one spikey stroke of genius, she obviated the need for any and all adjustments...

Welcome Void.jpg

And yet, stroke of genius notwithstanding, you torched her off as if she was nothing but yesterday's newspapers.

By the way, Void (in spite of being a very nice person) tends not to come across as cuddly. That avatar doesn't do anything to change that.

And Dr. De Santis: I won't speak for Maddy but I will give my opinion: I doubt she meant to cast aspersions on those who enjoy twisting and tweaking the pieces that make up Second Life.

I will spell out my point:

Clunky old Minecraft, looking like it was built with Legos, with no games and nothing to do, is worth two and a half BILLION dollars.

Beautiful Home, with games to play, is worth, um, nothing.

Yet guess which one SL used to be like and which one LL wants it to be more like, with professional graphics and games to play?

sirhc DeSantis wrote:

Yes to most but...is not relevant if we don't make clothes

And we can still create in world for..in world that is not focussed on outworld display of yet another human body.

And inworld we can still make places that are not just throwaway backdrops for the latest shoot.

And we can take that with us every where.

And some of us do.

i dont think we at odds

extrusion tool inworld is relevant to everything mesh. If had a extrusion tool for fitted mesh bc flex is the hardest to do. then will also work on non-flex inworld mesh objects

to be able to shorten the legs on a table. To plump a pillow. To change the bough of a tree so it dont penetrate the wall of your house. To change the seat on a motobike so it fits your avatar better. etc. Extrusion tool can do all these things

+

edit add: bc mars well

if I was BetterWorld Linden

make like prims. use extrusion tool to fold and bend the prims. Link prims. Convert linked prim object to mesh. Use extrusion tool to tweak. Perfect

SL was never like Mindcraft.  Clunky at one time? yes... but never as simplistic as lego.

I fail to understand why you seem so set against LL wanting to make SL look better than it currently does.  Will improvements change the landscape of creatordom?... of course it will.  But life is change.  Either they'll do it in a way that will be successful or they won't.  Regardless, they will do it and I for one hope they are successful in their endeavors to do so.

It almost seems as if you're suggesting that they go back to the clunky, prim-based way of building with which they had to resort from the start.  The simple fact of the matter is that they've grown past that and have no intention of stopping.  I prefer to support this growth and sincerely hope that their new platform will provide us all with a great leap forward in graphic beauty... yet, at the same time, allow us to retain the same sort of customization to which we've grow so accustom.  Their ability to pull such a thing off, of course, remains to be seen.

...Dres

My point is that Minecraft is EVEN CLUNKIER than SL ever was!  And that clunkiness not stop Minecraft from becoming successful because it had something that pretty worlds like Home lacked -- the ability for any user to build.

That used to be the case in SL. And it still is to a lesser extent -- you can still make things out of prims. But compared to mesh, it doesn't look very good. Mesh has raised the bar. And I have increased my skill level to meet that bar. I am glad I have this skill. I am now a professional 3D artist, not just someone who makes things in Second Life. 

But Minecraft proves that the attraction of creating is stronger than the attraction of looking at pretty things and playing games, and I am sorry that SL has taken the direction it has.  And no, there is no going back.

sirhc DeSantis wrote:

Yes. And does that obviate the fact that some of us still enjoy creating in world. Or out world to bring in and play with.

Or the fun of it all.

The base thrill of .. no I expect you all forget rezzing your first prim. I still have mine

Maybe I should put it on some auction site
:)

Thrill still not gone here. Sorry

You do not know me, and you are apparently unaware of my posting history here. Everything in that photo of Void, with the exception of the falling clock (Pandora Wrigglesworth) and Void's avatar (Void Singer) was created by... me.

The structure and fireplace were made six years ago, during my early days here. I still have my first SL creation, "Digit Sisters", which is a framed collection of pin-up girls cribbed from calenders on the wall of the RL workshop I inherited from my father. I also have my diploma in Tattoo Art and Body Piercing, and the grave markers for the three undergrads that died by my hand so that I might earn it.

Friends have flown my biplanes, lived in my lighthouse (my first major creation), danced on its balcony and cuddled on its beams of light. They've felt ( I hope) the warmth and humor of my reactive art and been fairly dazzled by my counter rotating nipple tassles and the constellations of moles on my self made skin (a work in progress for six years, based on freebie templates from around the web). In the forums I have been a staunch advocate of keeping creation accessible to novices in-world.

In RL, my closet is filled with multiple copies of the few clothing items I really like, in sizes that fit, and in a palette of colors I've learned play well together. As a result, I can dress myself in the dark in two minutes and know I won't embarass myself in public. I wear my hair in a pixie cut that requires not much more than a tousle after I brush my teeth in the morning. That's more time I can spend creating things. I bring that same sensibility to SL. I don't want to spend hours adjusting clothing so it fits. I just want to dress and go.

For the 24 years prior to my RL retirement, I designed medical instrumentation to monitor, diagnose and restart hearts. The moment I could retire, I did. My interests are too varied to fit into one career. I've dabbled in aviation (pilot at 16), astrophotography (built my own camera), telescope building (will never, ever grind a mirror again), model rocketry (best effort, 8300 feet), sewing (halloween costumes, skirts, parachutes for rockets, kites big enough to lift me), woodworking (lots of it), stained glass, auto restoration (unwillingly), weaving, quilting, welding and teaching (engineering school evening division). I'm sure I've missed a few things. I'm sure I'll try things I haven't thought of yet.

Landing a plane by myself for the first time was thrilling. Sex was thrilling. Having dinner with Mom last week, 46 feet in the air on the top of a lift truck? That was neat! Creating in-world? That's enjoyable. Thrilling is too much to ask of SL, but not of its residents.

And so, at the end of the day, my favorite SL creations are the friendships I've made with others here. And I mean "with" to mean both "with" and "with".

;-).

ETA: I forgot pumpkin carving, sandcastling and bed racing!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

irihapeti wrote about a skillion adjustments she'd like to make to her avatar and mesh clothing, to make it all fit well. 

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of one of Void Singer's avatars. In one spikey stroke of genius, she obviated the need for any and all adjustments...

Welcome Void.jpg

And yet, stroke of genius notwithstanding, you torched her off as if she was nothing but yesterday's newspapers.

By the way, Void (in spite of being a very nice person) tends not to come across as cuddly. That avatar doesn't do anything to change that.

And Dr. De Santis: I won't speak for Maddy but I will give my opinion: I doubt she meant to cast aspersions on those who enjoy twisting and tweaking the pieces that make up Second Life.

What can I say, Dil. I'm egalitarian to the bone. No special dispensation for genius.

There are people who don't think I'm cuddly either. I once pinched Void's bum. She's soft where it counts.

And, as one who twists and tweaks the people that make up Second Life, I can't hardly cast aspersions on those who do it to pieces.

;-).

Well since I make my living in SL, I would like it to go in whichever way would make it most successful and bring in the most users. I dont think it is doing that, or will do that. 

All I can do is what I am doing -- after three years I am about 3/4 of the way in filling my store (4 sims) with mesh to replace the sculpted content that had replaced the prim contnet. Now I am getting ready for SL II, which will be even less like Minecraft and, from what I understand, even more like Home.

Bree Giffen wrote:

SL is nothing like Sony Home. Sony Home was purely content made by the company. SL is not like Minecraft either. Minecraft is designed a whole lot better. That's why it was sold for billions.

Pamela was using those as an analogy, not direct comparison.   

Her point:   Having a platform that allows everyone to create, is worth more money.    LL has gone in the opposite direction, as the SL platform has become harder for people to create, thus lessening the *draw.

* The draw is the ability to create!

Ren Toxx wrote:

If clunky graphics were the key to success, Habbo Hotel would be even more popular than Minecraft, and WoW would’ve practically ceased to exist.

It's not about the clunkiness.  It's about the ability to create.  Pam's point is that the clunky graphics do not hinder people from wanting to participate.   

People care less about the graphics, than they do about being able to create.  LL doesn't understand this. 

Ren Toxx wrote:

If that was her point, how exactly has SL become harder for people to create? Because of mesh?

Yes.   In 2007 LL introduced sculpties, and that made it harder for people to create.  Suddenly, there were two classes of creators, those who used prims, and those who used sculpts.  Now we have mesh, and three classes of creators.   Each time LL has introduced something that is harder for people to learn, and fewer and fewer people create things in SL.  

Who wants to make mere prim items with high prim count and have to compete with mesh?   So, the percent of people who create drops off.  People came to SL and were thrilled to be able to create!  (like all those minecraft people are thrilled to create!)   

LL wanted a pretty looking "game", and have slowly eroded the SL residents ability to create.  At one point the new LL viewer even hid the creation tools, and focused on facebook like chat-crap. So, new SL residents couldn't easily learn to create.  LL doesn't understand their own product.  LL focused on having SL be a "business meeting" place, an "education" place, and so on.  They've chased "success" that they see with other systems, games, and platforms, when all along they had (have!) a winner.

Sorry but - no. Been through prim to sculptie - learned how to make em from text files up to inworld tools. Note that - inworld tools made by SLers.

Moved to mesh - learning still but can. And yay can still build in world with a quick trip out to blender a tweak and back and hey - I build in world with my own mesh prims. Best of all worlds.

At no point did it stop me building in world...as I adapted to incorporate these new thingies :) And to this day learning still and loving it. And yes can still make what I like to wear too...with a little system template and a bit of primmy lunacy :)

There again - i script and thats something that gets better with every passing update.

So yeah I'm loving it  And whats more I can take what I have learned wherever I go. Ain't this Second Life grand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.