Don't buy a mesh clothing never fits

mathewmacambridge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have you noticed now in Sl if you buy a Tux suit for example, it never fits, you get blank bits not covering your whole body?

and most of the sellers dont give you a resize option.

If i buy a product I want it to deliver what it says on the tin.

I would never purchase mesh again

I feel like taking action against those that do this, I have wasted money.

ps i am not new or an alt i was here coding years ago, i lost my account years ago

mathewmacambridge wrote:

Have you noticed now in Sl if you buy a Tux suit for example, it never fits, you get blank bits not covering your whole body?

You have to wear the alpha layer that comes with the clothes so the parts poking through the mesh don't show.

and most of the sellers dont give you a resize option?

Designers have no control over this.  Rigged mesh is not resizable, that is why it comes in a range of sizes.  Fitted Mesh responds to certain appearance shape settings, but the avatar shape must change for the clothes to change. 
Only non rigged mesh is resizable and only if you have mod perms.

sorry if i buy a product i expect it to fit mesh or not

That's why there are demos.  Always get one an try on one before you purchase.  You'll avoid a lot of disappointment that way.

Your choice, but it was based on some false assumptions

I feel like suing those that do this, I have wasted money

If you didn't try a demo before purchase, you took a risk.  If it didn't work out you have only yourself to blame for not trying a demo first
If you did try a demo, why did you buy a product that didn't fit your avatar?

Normally when you buy mesh it comes in 5 different sizes which will work for most people. You also get alpha layers that are used to cover bits of you that poke out when you move.

Just about everyone that sells mesh offers a demo for free so that you can try it out.

Mesh isn't perfect but it is a lot better than what we had before for the most part.

you said

if you didn't try a demo before purchase, you took a risk.  If it didn't work out you have only yourself to blame for not trying a demo firstIf you did try a demo, why did you buy a product that didn't fit your avatar?

sure all n

my fault i bought expecting it to deliver don't you?

you said

If you didn't try a demo before purchase, you took a risk.  If it didn't work out you have only yourself to blame for not trying a demo firstIf you did try a demo, why did you buy a product that didn't fit your avatar?

thanks myself to blame not the designers, we never used to have this in 2008, you are blaming me, treating he like an idiot in public, i could use some choice words but how dare you say that? got me?

mathewmacambridge wrote:

you said

if you didn't try a demo before purchase, you took a risk.  If it didn't work out you have only yourself to blame for not trying a demo first

sure all n

my fault i bought expecting it to deliver don't you?

I ALWAYS try a demo first before paying for it.  If it doesn't fit me, I don't buy it.

mathewmacambridge wrote:

you said

If you didn't try a demo before purchase, you took a risk.  If it didn't work out you have only yourself to blame for not trying a demo first

thanks myself to blame not the designers, we never used to have this in 2008, you are blaming me, treating he like an idiot in public, i could use some choice words but how dare you say that? got me?

Time and technology moves on. It is now 2014 not 2008. I've been in SL eight years and the clothes in 2006 were different than the clothes in 2008.  

I only stated the facts about mesh and the importance of demos.  Because of how mesh works in SL, designers would have to make a million sizes to fit every avatar.  If you want to 'blame' someone, then blame LL for introducing mesh without the tools designers need to make clothes fit everyone.    The tech is there, but at least one Linden said when they were developing mesh they never thought it would be used for clothing.  Now that is what is dumb.

Designers generally include five or more standardized sizes for mesh clothing as a result.  You can try demos for fit before buying.  If there is no demo on MP check their in world stores.  If you don't find a demo there, don't buy.  You also have the option of tweaking your shape a tiny bit to make one of the five sizes fit correctly.  What I do is just tweak mine a little bit, then save the shape with the same name as the clothing and put it in the clothing folder.  Then when I wear the mesh, I also wear the corresponding shape.

The 'solution' that LL came up with belatedly is called 'Fitted Mesh'.  Supposedly it fits your avatar as long as it is not too extreme one way or the other.  The problem with Fitted Mesh is that it floats slightly above my avatars skin.  I often find rigged mesh and a slight tweak to my shape are a better choice.  Luckily designers know this and most of them include the five standard sizes with the fitted mesh so you only have to buy it once.

Lastly, you can get a standard sizing package free that includes full perm shapes that fit the five sizes
.  It also explains standard sizes in great detail.  I suggest you order one.  Whether you use the shapes or not, you'll have a much better understanding of fitted mesh and can shop with more confidence.

mathewmacambridge wrote:

you said

Your initial post was the exact equivalent of your saying (in 2014), "Nobody should ever buy one of those newfangled horseless carriages - when I put oats in the place where you feed it, not only didn't it go but the blacksmith said its innards were now messed up and I'll have to pay thousands to get it fixed." Most people who have been on SL since 2012 know how mesh clothing works and your "warning" just made you look silly.

One thing to also pay attention to is if the mesh will only fit specific avatars. The mesh clothing from Blue Galaxy, for example, will ONLY fit the Blue Galixian Feline avatars, which are 100% mesh. If you try to wear the clothing on a normal avatar, it will fit wrong and there is no way to fix the appearance other than buying the avatar required. So again, look carefully at what you're buying or you'll regret it. And always get the demo~!

Some where in the box your suit came in is an alpha layer. Make sure you are wearing it. Then get a list of the standard sizes for men. If you don't have one you can IM me in world. You are very likely to need to adjust your shape to get a good fit with mesh.

The mesh works fine, you just need to learn how to wear it.

mathewmacambridge wrote:

you said

Seriously?  You come here blaming creators for your mistake and then blame Amythest for pointing out that you are the one who made a mistake?  She is not the one making you look like "an idiot in public".

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

<snip>

Mesh isn't perfect but it is a lot better than what we had before for the most part.

That is highly debatable.

I think all clothing types and methods have their proper uses where each suits a particular purpose the best.

Image tells it all.

SL-clothing types.jpg

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

<snip>

I think all clothing types and methods have their proper uses where each suits a particular purpose the best.

^^^^^  THIS  ^^^^^

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ohjiro Watanabe wrote:

<snip>

Image tells it all.

SL-clothing types.jpg

Thank you for beautifully illustrating the counter-argument to those whose attitude is, "If it's not mesh (in fact, if it's not FITTED mesh now!) it's trash.

Great pictures :-)

mathewmacambridge wrote:

and most of the sellers dont give you a resize option.

If i buy a product I want it to deliver what it says on the tin.

I feel like taking action against those that do this, I have wasted money.

ps i am not new or an alt i was here coding years ago, i lost my account years ago

"Blank bits showing" happens when you don;t wear the Alpha layer that comes with it. All mesh clothing is supplied with an appropriate alpha layer that you must wear.  Some tweaking of your avatar shape may also be necessary.

Rigged mesh is not resizeable. it's physically impossible to do that.  Unrigged mesh (sometimes used for shoes) is resizeable just the same as any other prim if the seller makes it mod.

If it doesn't deliver exactly what it says on the tin, contact the vendor and query it (politely, if you want a positive response).  Complainting to Linden Lab or anyone else will accomplish exactly nothing.

Mesh clothing, when used properly, works very well for all but the most unusually-shaped avatars. It's notably most difficult for plus-sized avatars and women with flat or very small chests. Standard sizing skews towards slim and buxom.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.