Entry queuing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why does SL not have an entry queuing system? For popular events where you can't enter the damn sim for like 2-3 days, instead of having everyone staying in front of a computer clicking the LM nonstop, why not have a queuing system where you queue up for entry? Almost all MMOs with instances have this feature. To prevent afking at the landing spot (which is entirely possible as you afk while you queue), if you don't move for let's say 5 minutes, then you get kicked out and have to queue again?

Suki Hirano wrote:

Why does SL not have an entry queuing system? For popular events where you can't enter the damn sim for like 2-3 days, instead of having everyone staying in front of a computer clicking the LM nonstop, why not have a queuing system where you queue up for entry? Almost all MMOs with instances have this feature. To prevent afking at the landing spot (which is entirely possible as you afk while you queue), if you don't move for let's say 5 minutes, then you get kicked out and have to queue again?

SL isn't an MMO. It doesn't have instances. Don't expect LL to make server code changes like that for such a limited case, especially when they're working on the "next generation virtual world". A script could be used to boot people who don't move from the landing spot for a period of time, but that would be up to the land owner.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Suki Hirano wrote:

SL isn't an MMO. It doesn't have instances. Don't expect LL to make server code changes like that for such a limited case, especially when they're working on the "next generation virtual world". A script could be used to boot people who don't move from the landing spot for a period of time, but that would be up to the land owner.

Actually, SL is an MMO. It's massive, it's online, it's multiplayer. The only difference is instead of being 80% gaming, 10% social and 10% cash shop like a regular MMO, it's 80% cash shop, 19% social and 1% gaming.

Anyway it's not even that hard to implement considering Firestorm implemented tons of new features and they're a volunteer team. All it is is a queuing script that will auto-tp you when your number is up. But since LL rarely if ever implements new features... yeah I don't expect this to be implemented. Just thought I'd leave this thought here.

LL made the mistake of using queue's once.  that was with logins and premium members.   They said they will never use another form of queuing again, so this little idea. while neato, would never be implemented,  maybe you could get another person to script something that could do this, but that would be the only way.

Suki Hirano wrote:

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Suki Hirano wrote:

Actually, SL
is
an MMO. It's massive, it's online, it's multiplayer. The only difference is instead of being 80% gaming, 10% social and 10% cash shop like a regular MMO, it's 80% cash shop, 19% social and 1% gaming.

Anyway it's not even that hard to implement considering Firestorm implemented tons of new features and they're a volunteer team. All it is is a queuing script that will auto-tp you when your number is up. But since LL rarely if ever implements new features... yeah I don't expect this to be implemented. Just thought I'd leave this thought here.

You missed the percentages for creating ... something a regular MMO doesn't have.

All a client-side script can do is automate clicking the TP button. The servers handle moving avatars onto a sim. Currently, if the sim is full the server rejects the TP request or blocks the avatar from walking/flying into the region. To implement queueing, the server code would be modified to queue up sim entry requests then grant them as people leave the sim. You'd want to add a way for a client to display queue information and to remove itself from the queue, so there would be client changes as well.

tnks for express interest in visit our place. ur custom is appreciate much and is very dear to us. u r customer no. 123456781234572 in the queue. Pls to hold for long time. While u wait here is some blieber for u to listen to. If u not wanna listen please bang ur head on keyboard now. If that dont turn it off then oh well !! and dont be such a meanie to Justin bc he is sweet guy ok. Is not his fault u dont like canadians. Is like ur parents fault

pls to not get nekkid while waiting ok. bc our autoteleport operators get a bit bored sometimes and get mischief. and will jump u to top of the queue everytime u do get nekkid while waiting. We try tell them not to do but weelll yanno. Like they just start giggling !! So just dont ok

(:

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Suki Hirano wrote:

SL *IS* an MMO and it does have instances. We call them Regions or less corectly Sims.

OP, there is a hud on the marketplace that will keep hitting the TP button for you. Does what you seek. Trouble is I can't recall what it is called now >.<

Suki Hirano wrote:

Actually, SL
is
an MMO. It's massive, it's online, it's multiplayer. The only difference is instead of being 80% gaming, 10% social and 10% cash shop like a regular MMO, it's 80% cash shop, 19% social and 1% gaming.

If it were viewer-side, it would be made obsolete within a week by another viewer that somehow spammed the queue or otherwise gamed the algorithm. It could be done server-side, and that's where those fanciful percentages are misleading. Perhaps 5% of the active SL population care enough about shopping to even try to queue for entry, ever. Only a tiny fraction of a percent, the true shopping addict, would really notice that such a feature existed and use it on purpose more than once a fortnight. So of all the features that might be developed for SL, this seems like something to put on the priority queue to implement just after smell-o-vision.

It's actually slightly worse than that. One might naively suppose that making it easier to get into super-busy event sims would increase expenditures. If one thinks about it a little more, however, just the opposite is probably true. In fact, when opening a new event that's only just building up the hype, it may be smart to artificially restrict sim entry enough to make sure that enough folks get turned away to make it a buzz-worthy effect -- this in the vein of RL retail chicanery such as repainting parking spaces to make a new shopping center look busy at opening, then less crowded once established.

Callum Meriman wrote:

SL *IS* an MMO and it does have instances. We call them Regions or less corectly Sims.

Sims are correctly called sims. Perhaps you don't know the difference between a region and a sim. A sim is a single instance of a 256m x 256m piece of land, and it stands alone in the server - up to 16 of them the last I heard, each a seperate entity in the server machine. A region is comprised of one or multiple sims. For instance, you can have, say, 7 or 8 adjacent sims that make up a city. That's a region. You can't own a region on the mainland, because the mainland itself is the region, but you can own one or more sims on the mainland.

That's how LL explained it.a long long time ago, in a land far far away.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Callum Meriman wrote:

Sims are correctly called sims. Perhaps you don't know the difference between a region and a sim. A sim is a single instance of a 256m x 256m piece of land, and it stands alone in the server - up to 16 of them the last I heard, each a seperate entity in the server machine. A region is comprised of one or multiple sims. For instance, you can have, say, 7 or 8 adjacent sims that make up a city. That's a region. You can't own a region on the mainland, because the mainland itself is the region, but you can own one or more sims on the mainland.

Placed in the perspective of a larger picture it can get a little confusing because we have used some terms in a very loose manner.  The big picture now is the entire MetaVerse in which SL is just one location on the Hypergrid.  It gets fun sometimes to think about.  I saw a few months ago a map of the Hyper grid overlayed on a globe based on the relative positions of all the server hosts in the real world.  I thought Hyperica had done it but I'm not finding it now.

It would be nice if we could finally settle on terminology so there would be no more confusion about what people really are talking about.

But getting back to SL itself:

Simulator, which can mean either:

• Sim node (or sim host), the physical server machine simulating one or more regions.
  • Sim processes, the processes running on the server machines that simulate regions.

The latter usage is more precise, because multiple processes may run on a single server CPU. In common usage, "sim" may also be used to mean region, though this meaning is deprecated because it is ambiguous. Most accurately, a region is simulated by a sim process running on a sim node.

Definitions by Lil Linden

From Beta Server Office Hours 2010.02.12

• Sim means sim host, or the hardware
  • Simulator is the binary that runs on the sim hosts
  • Regions run in the simulator

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sim

Also of interest here:  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_architecture

Phil Deakins wrote:

Callum Meriman wrote:

To add to Perrie's post...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Land

Region:

A named 256 m x 256 m (65,536 m²) area hosted by a single simulator process (sim). In common usage, the term "simulator" or "sim" may also refer to a region, but in fact a single server process can host multiple regions.

This is for Coby too.

All I can say is, the way I described it is how a Linden explained it when asked quite a few years ago. As part of the explanation, he (I'm sure it was a he) even said that the mainland is a region.

And what I can now conclude is either, LL has changed the deinitions since then, or different Lindens have different definitions.

Callum Meriman wrote:

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Suki Hirano wrote:

OP, there is a hud on the marketplace that will keep hitting the TP button for you. Does what you seek. Trouble is I can't recall what it is called now >.<

In a MMO like World of Warcraft, each "instance" is a copy of the same map. There can be several instances of the exact same "world" running simultaneously with different users on each. In Second Life every region is a separate discrete simulation and is never duplicated (unless it's copied to the Beta grid for testing purposes, which doesn't really count.)

Coby Foden wrote:

Region:

A named 256 m x 256 m (65,536 m²) area hosted by a single simulator process (sim). In common usage, the term "simulator" or "sim" may also refer to a region, but in fact a single server process can host multiple regions.

That's not a Linden written page, is it? I know that a couple of Lindens contributed to it, as you did, but it's not an official Linden page. So the definitions on it are from the users, and are users ideas.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Region:

That's not a Linden written page, is it? I know that a couple of Lindens contributed to it, as you did, but it's not an official Linden page. So the definitions on it are from the users, and are users ideas.

Whatever Phil, but you have your definitions about region and simulator (sim) wrong.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_architecture

Simulator:

The primary SL server process. Each simulator process simulates one 256x256 meter region. There are about 31,000 regions in total currently. Each one has to be hosted on a server running copies of the Simulator program. There is one simulator per region, 4 or more sims per server, 8000 or so servers. As the viewer moves through the world it is handled off from one simulator to another.

If you want Linden Lab confirmation what is a region just look here:

https://secondlife.com/land/privatepricing.php

Private Region Pricing

Type

Size

Price

Maintenance Fee

(monthly)

Full Region 65,536 sqm $1000 $295
Skill Gaming Region 65,536 sqm $1000 $345
Homestead Region 65,536 sqm $375 $125
Openspace Region 65,536 sqm $250 $75

So, a region is a 256 m x 256 m area on the Second Life grid (i.e. 65,536 sqm). It is not an area containing many of those 256 m x 256 m areas, it is just a single one.

Alright, Coby. But they weren't my definitions. They were definitions provided by a Linden quite a few years ago. It's him who got it wrong, although I'm now beginning to wonder if I might have got one of the words wrong, and that he said 'estate' and not region. The old grey cells, they ain't wot they used to be, y'know <sigh>. I'm sure it was region though.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Alright, Coby. But they weren't my definitions. They were definitions provided by a Linden quite a few years ago. It's him who got it wrong, although I'm now beginning to wonder if I might have got one of the words wrong, and that he said 'estate' and not region. The old grey cells, they ain't wot they used to be, y'know <sigh>. I'm sure it was region though.

Like I said, we use some of the terms loosely.  And I think LL may also.  In "about land" any "privately owned" region, even if you own only one, will be listed under type as "Estate/Full (or Homestead, etc).

That info tells you who is responsible for the Region, LL or the Private Owner.  Private Region owners have additional tools available for dealing with problems, etc, on their Land.

Gets to be fun.

Maybe an Oldbie would know but I am wondering if when SL started if it wasn't one Region per Simulator/Server and that is how the terms came to be used synonymously.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Alright, Coby. But they weren't my definitions. They were definitions provided by a Linden quite a few years ago. It's him who got it wrong, ...

Yes, even some "random" Linden Lab employee can have the definitions mixed up in their mind.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Like I said, we use some of the terms loosely.  And I think LL may also.  In "about land" any "privately owned" region, even if you own only one, will be listed under type as "Estate/Full (or Homestead, etc).

More definitions: (:matte-motes-big-grin:)

Private Estate:

One or more regions owned by a Resident.

An estate's regions don't have to be contiguous.

Parcel:

Divided part of a region owned by a Resident or a group.

A parcel can be as small as 16 sqm or as big a the entire region.

Region:

A square on the map, either private estate or the mainland.

65,536 sqm [i.e. 256 m x 265 m] of virtual land running on a simulator.

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

More definitions: (:matte-motes-big-grin:)

Private Estate:

One or more regions owned by a Resident.

An estate's regions don't have to be contiguous.

Parcel:

Divided part of a region owned by a Resident or a group.

A parcel can be as small as 16 sqm or as big a the entire region.

Region:

A square on the map, either private estate or the mainland.

65,536 sqm [i.e. 256 m x 265 m] of virtual land running on a simulator.

Official sources are of course the best.

I'd never looked before but their is a User, Anaimfinity Resident who states she is the head of The Second Life Geography Project which I have never heard of before.  She is doing a lot of the Land related articles in the Wiki but is not sourcing her material.  For instance she states "A continent is a large group of more then 30 sims, placed in direct contact one to another," LINK, with no documentation.  So who decided a Continent is 30 SIMs or more?  

It get's interesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.