Go Team USA!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL *love* your post, Coby. I've always said that American Football is misnamed because it isn't played with the feet. It's a form of handball - like rugby is, even though rugby and football stemmed from the same original game. There is much more done with the feet in rugby than American football though.

Tex Monday wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Have you ever tried watching cricket?
:)
A Test Match game (matches played between countries) lasts for 5 days. - that's just one game. And there's never anything that can be considered beautiful to watch. BUT they can be extremely absorbing. It all depends on on whether or not you want one tea, to win.

As I said in my previous post, sport is all about winning. It is never about aesthetics or beauty or anything along those lines. So football is every bit as good or bad to watch as any other game or sport. However, it is the best loved sport in the world.

there is a small group that play Cricket in a park near my house. I've never understood the game so I've never really stayed long enough to watch it. I do find it fascinating how the bowler (is that the right name for the guy who throws the ball?) takes that running start and gets it right where it's supposed to be...usually, that is. Asside from that, I haven't a clue how to play.

Yes, it is the best loved sport in the world..and that's wonderful. I think in the states, given the choice, people might watch one of the four major sports (US football, baseball, basketball or hockey) over soccer. It just never seemed to take off here,

Yes, the guy who 'bowls' (not throws) the ball is called the bowler. Throwing the ball to the batsman is illegal in cricket.

It's an oddity that the very first international cricket match was played between Canada and the USA.

I've posted this before but it's well worth posting again bioth as a reminder to those who know it and for those who don't know it. Years ago, there was a Test Match (international game) being played between the West Indies and England. Surnames are used in the commentary and the person batting (for England) was called Peter Willey. The West Indian bowler was called Michael Holding. Getting the viewers up to date with what was going on right then, the TV commentator calmly said, "The bower's Holding the batsman's Willey" :D And it still makes me laugh. It's probably the funniest example of that type of goof ever.

The reigning world champions, Spain, were knocked out of the torunament last night. Tonight it's England's turn to try to survive. We lost the first match against Italy, and we need to get something out of tonight's game against uruguay. I believe it's mathematically possible to lose tonight, win the 3rd and final game in the group stages, and still qualify for the knockout stages, but I wouldn't even put a penny on getting through if we lose tonight.

Spain looked horrible. I watched them yesterday. It didn't look like they were playing for their World Cup lives.

The England game is definitely on my plate to watch.

The US game against Ghana was frustrating to watch. The US got lucky early and then played like they didn't even know each other until Ghana scored, and then they woke up. Ghana out played them most of the game. The US was lucky to come away with the win. They best show a bit more movement out there if they want to get much farther. If there is 1 thing I can't stand to see is players just standing around waiting for the ball.

Kelli May wrote:

Some football (soccer) players play on as if nothing happened.

buttcher-blood.jpg

I played center midfielder for most of my youth and in college. It was very common to head butt, or get head butted, if not kicked in the face, jumping and jousting for goal kicks. I always wore a head banned to lessen the blows and soak up the blood. I've even had my nose broken during a game and still finished the game. Heck, soccer is a really rough sport, and part of the game is pure intimidation to keep players from challenging you. I've made players do flips in the air knocking them off the ball, and not be called for a penalty as I went for the ball.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

Some football (soccer) players play on as if nothing happened.

buttcher-blood.jpg

I played center midfielder for most of my youth and in college. It was very common to head butt, or get head butted, if not kicked in the face, jumping and jousting for goal kicks. I always wore a head banned to lessen the blows and soak up the blood. I've even had my nose broken during a game and still finished the game. Heck, soccer is a really rough sport, and part of the game is pure intimidation to keep players from challenging you. I've made players do flips in the air knocking them off the ball, and not be called for a penalty as I went for the ball.

For those unaware, the picture is of Terry Butcher who played centre-back for England in the late 80s. That injury took place during a qualifying match between England and Sweden. He suffered a head wound early in the game, got stitched up and bandaged on the sidelines, then came back on and played the rest of the game.

The image is pretty iconic among England fans, especially anyone old enough to have seen the particular match played.

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Hockey is awesome! It is the other sport I enjoy watching. My home team the Los Angeles Kings just won the Stanley Cup \o/

I watched a lot of the play offs.  I didn't have a 'team' but I do think Henrik Lundqvist still deserves a lot of credit.  51 SOG with 48 Saves......some of them were very impressive.  Single handed he really made the Kings work for that win.

MckenzieKy wrote:

:matte-motes-stress:

:/

*moves to netherlands*

Thumbs up and good luck.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

For me this Uruguay - England match was very interesting and entertaining. Lots of action and many near goals - just a tiny bit missed. Both teams played very well and it was pretty clean game. As I didn't have a favourite team I could enjoy whichever team got a goal. Nice.

:smileyhappy:

Coby Foden wrote:

MckenzieKy wrote:

GOOOOO ENGLANDDDDDD :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

FIFA_Uruguay-England.jpg

:smileysurprised:  :smileywink:

Yep. England is very nearly out of the competition now. VERY disappointing. We can still qualify if:-

Italy win their next 2 games and we beat Costa Rica by enough goals to get through on goal difference.

It's very possible that Italy will beat both Uruguay and Costa Rica, and more likely than not that England will beat Costa Rica. If that all happens it'll leave Italy with 9 points and England, Uruguay and Costa Rican on 3 points each. and then it'll be down to goal difference.

It means that, if Italy beats Costa Rica tomorrow, as they should, then the final games, which are played simultaneously, will be incredibly rivetting.

Phil Deakins wrote:

It means that, if Italy beats Costa Rica tomorrow, as they should, then the final games, which are played simultaneously, will be incredibly rivetting.

Or, if Costa Rica beats Italy, England can't get out of the round. You can guarantee that the Costa Rica bars will be insane tomorrow at noon.

That's very true. But Italy should beat Costa Rica today. There's no way that they would want to go into the last game level on points with  Uruguay and Costa Rica, and Italy is world ranked a lot higher than Costa Rica.

It's an odd group, really. Three of the world ranked top 10 teams in it - Costa Rica being the odd one out.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yep. England is very nearly out of the competition now. VERY disappointing. We can still qualify if:-

Italy win their next 2 games and we beat Costa Rica by enough goals to get through on goal difference.

It's very possible that Italy will beat both Uruguay and Costa Rica, and more likely than not that England will beat Costa Rica. If that all happens it'll leave Italy with 9 points and England, Uruguay and Costa Rican on 3 points each. and then it'll be down to goal difference.

OW!! That makes my head hurt..can someone just wake me up when it's all over and tell me who won??? :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Tex Monday wrote:

OW!! That makes my head hurt..can someone just wake me up when it's all over and tell me who won??? :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

:matte-motes-big-grin:

Could be a South American country. Every time the FIFA World Cup has been held in the Americas the winner has always been from South America. But as always a surprise winner can emerge.

Held in - 1994 USA

Winner: Brazil

Held in - 1986 Mexico

Winner: Argentina

Held in - 1978 Argentina

Held in - 1970 Mexico

Held in - 1962 Chile

Held in - 1950 Brazil

Winner: Uruguay

Held in - 1930 Uruguay

Coby Foden wrote:

Tex Monday wrote:

:matte-motes-big-grin:

Could be a South American country. Every time the FIFA World Cup has been held in the Americas the winner has always been from South America. But as always a surprise winner can emerge.

Held in - 1994 USA

Held in - 1986 Mexico

Held in - 1978 Argentina

Held in - 1970 Mexico

Held in - 1962 Chile

Held in - 1950 Brazil

Held in - 1930 Uruguay

That is a very good point, and if you look at what's happened so far, it is the teams on this side of the big lake that are all mostly in good positions.

Technically, Costa Rica crushed Italy today. If not for all the bad calls, and lack of offsides calling, Italy would not have had any good shots on goal. Italy got all the calls, and still couldn't manage much. My coder is Costa Rican, so I was rooting for them big time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.