Is swearing against TOS?

Alien8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, I'll try to keep this short. I recently paid 800L to rent a 'quality' Skybox for a month. The build was APPALLING - gaps in one wall corner where prims hadn't been joined together properly; I was unable to take up/move a very ugly full-bright bed; one door had a broken script, wouldn't open; and, contrary to what I was told before I moved in, no means of changing the audio stream or installing a security orb. So I had the stream off all the time (because it's 24/7 reggae), a glowing ugly bed in the middle of the bedroom and on my 3rd day there, TPd in to see a neko sitting in the bathtub eating a McDonalds (who I was unable to eject - I had to wait two days for the estate manager to log on to boot her).

So, I asked the manager if he could lift the bed, fix the door and stream and give me land powers. I got a "No" to land powers due to "griefers" but was told he would sort the other issues within 24 hours. 72 hours later, I IM'd asking what was going on. No reply. 

So I sent a notecard saying I'm going to complain to LL and that I wanted a refund. A day later, he replies, saying "LL doesn't interfere in personal conflicts...no refunds on rental." I was then told I would not be allowed to change the stream as it would affect two other skyboxes on the same parcel and that the door had been fixed (it hadn't).

Two days later, I had a griefer inside my skybox, taunting me with particles, and flipped. I IM'd the estate manager again, who came on 3 hours later.  I'm afraid I lost it:

ME: "Oh...f___ off you ____, give me back my money you ____ing thief". 

HIM: lol

HIM: swearing is against the TOS

HIM: reported to linden labs (sic)

HIM: and evicted for abuse 

ME: Give me my money back

HIM: report filed

HIM: enjoy your last week on sl

Anyway, I have countered with an AR but I want to know: is it true LL won't get involved in resident disputes? If not, surely they can't ban me for swearing at him? Or if so, why can't I get my money back?

No, swearing is not prohibit by the TOS.

Linden Lab does not get involved in Inter-Resident disputes.

Some of the Terms in the Community Standards are a bit subjective:  In other words it's a judgement call.  I'd be shocked if LL would treat you as violating this standard:

1. Harassment

Given the myriad capabilities of Second Life, harassment can take many forms. Communicating or behaving in a manner which is offensively coarse, intimidating or threatening, constitutes unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors, or is otherwise likely to cause annoyance or alarm is Harassment.    

http://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

As far as your 'rental dispute,' the poor service, LL not going to get involved in that either.

I think you've got your answer already, but I'd sure like to know: Where did you find this skybox rental? I mean, considering how difficult it is for really good landlords to find renters, it would be most informative to learn what enticed you to rent from this guy.

Alien,

Terribly sorry to hear such a tale of what is definitley abuse by an un-scrupulous landlord. As the others have said, nothing LL will do to resolve the dispute, but as well good news as there is nothing they will do against you either. I can say that not all landlords are like this, I for one try to provide the best service and homes as is humanly possible.

I sincerly believe that  what you encountered here was an aberation and not the norm.

Wanda Soulstar

Dear Beethros and Wandering Soulstar.

While your offers may be altruistic they are also opportunistic.

I'll let  you both decide for yourselves if you haven't violated the CS by advertising in an area of the Forum not designated for it.

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum.

If you wanted to contact the OP privately that would be your business.  Posting your business publicly, I'll let you decide.   :D

CheriColette wrote:

Swearing cant be against the TOS

I have been sending in AR reports about a cube that my neighbour has playing the word **bleep**  over and over all day and all night ...and nothing is done about it.

Are you unable to 'mute' the object?

(yes, I understand it's annoying and i'd agree your AR should be responded to in this case)

Perrie Juran wrote:

CheriColette wrote:

Swearing cant be against the TOS

I have been sending in AR reports about a cube that my neighbour has playing the word **bleep**  over and over all day and all night ...and nothing is done about it.

Are you unable to 'mute' the object?

(yes, I understand it's annoying and i'd agree your AR should be responded to in this case)

Thankyou Perrie. I didnt think of that. I will try it. 

Wandering Soulstar wrote:

Perrie,

Quite right in that my post was a bit oportunistic, but I was as well trying to help. To keep it from being a full head on sales pitch was why I only posted the link to my post in the mainland - rental section. But you are right and I have edited my post accordingly.

Thank you.  I know it's a touchy subject. 

Personally I just prefer to see the GD as clean of advertising as possible.

CheriColette wrote:

Seems I can only block an 'objects' text...not sound!

I've never messed with Blocking Sounds.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-deal-with-abuse-and-harassment/ta-p/1339983#Section_.3

Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will come by but that reads like sounds are blockable.

Yes...that worked. Thankyou. I should have come here to ask before. The forum always has the answers. Second time Ive had a problem and LL has not helped (and this was in their estate).

The cube still has text (with Fword) but no longer do I or my guest have to hear it shouting :)

Sorry Alien*8 (for hijacking your thread). 

I think you were ok ..with swearing under those circumstances. A knee jerk reaction. And in private message not public so you should not be sanctioned. 

Nice to see offers of alternate accommodation too. You guys are all wonderful.

Just have to ask....

Why didn't you inspect the skybox PRIOR to renting it?  All this could have been avoided if you had.

Although i have never seen a rental that didn't allow this, if that was the case you just should have gone else where and not paid a dime because obviously they are hiding something and most landlords will NOT refund money and the very few that do only refund rent you paid in advance of the current rental period.

In a rental where you are not renting the actual land, you generally have to use shared media not land media.  Unless a shared media player was furnished, you are responsible for buying your own.

Swearing is not allowed in public chat on G sims OR if the landowner forbids it.  No matter what the rating a landowner can set their own rules to be more restrictive than the rules of the rating and can eject/ban you for ANY reason or none at all.  LL won't do anything, if it took place in private IM as long as you weren't threatening or harassing.

LL will not do anything about your AR against the landlord because 1) this is considered a resident to resident dispute and anytime you purchase goods, services, property or rent, it is buyer beware.  It states this in the TOS.

I do think the landlord should have promptly repaired the gap in the walls and fixed the door, and if the bed could be modified because the creator made it mod, turned off the full bright.

Just take this as a lesson on renting and move on.  There is nothing to be gained by harping on it.

Swearing is not against the ToS. It does break the Community Standards, specifically the Maturity Definitions, to use foul language on General rated sims. The guideline given is "things that you would be comfortable saying and doing in front of your grandmother or a grade school class".

Alien8 wrote:

OK, I'll try to keep this short. I recently paid 800L to rent a 'quality' Skybox for a month. The build was APPALLING - gaps in one wall corner where prims hadn't been joined together properly; I was unable to take up/move a very ugly full-bright bed; one door had a broken script, wouldn't open; and, contrary to what I was told before I moved in, no means of changing the audio stream or installing a security orb. So I had the stream off all the time (because it's 24/7 reggae), a glowing ugly bed in the middle of the bedroom and on my 3rd day there, TPd in to see a neko sitting in the bathtub eating a McDonalds (who I was unable to eject - I had to wait two days for the estate manager to log on to boot her).

So, I asked the manager if he could lift the bed, fix the door and stream and give me land powers. I got a "No" to land powers due to "griefers" but was told he would sort the other issues within 24 hours. 72 hours later, I IM'd asking what was going on. No reply. 

So I sent a notecard saying I'm going to complain to LL and that I wanted a refund. A day later, he replies, saying "LL doesn't interfere in personal conflicts...no refunds on rental." I was then told I would not be allowed to change the stream as it would affect two other skyboxes on the same parcel and that the door had been fixed (it hadn't).

Two days later, I had a griefer inside my skybox, taunting me with particles, and flipped. I IM'd the estate manager again, who came on 3 hours later.  I'm afraid I lost it:

ME: "Oh...f___ off you ____, give me back my money you ____ing thief". 

HIM: lol

HIM: swearing is against the TOS

HIM: reported to linden labs (sic)

HIM: and evicted for abuse 

ME: Give me my money back

HIM: report filed

HIM: enjoy your last week on sl

Anyway, I have countered with an AR but I want to know: is it true LL won't get involved in resident disputes? If not, surely they can't ban me for swearing at him? Or if so, why can't I get my money back?

LOL... it's because of this very sort of ridiculousness that I very so much wish to put together a Judge Judy avatar.

...Dres

• 1 month later...

lol Dres...then you be too busy to be your main avi!

My report to LL about the F-cube has been acted on,  just wanted to say. It has been taken away (with out any further comunication). 

But since you guys told me to MUTE it ...I no longer had a problem with it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.