Thank you Linden Lab - the forum clean up is much appreciated :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wow Linden Lab have cleaned up!

Goodbye spammers!!

Ok I know it's not all gone but the volume has been hugely reduced. There used to be pages and pages of it, now maybe I have seen one a day.

Yay:)

Well done Linden Lab :)

Emma :)

You may be right that LL has done something about it. If they have, they've taken a bl--dy long time about it.

I won't be convinced, though, until it's virtually gone for some time. It could be just that the spammers are having a break, or a change of targets for a while. Email spammers don't target the same addresses every day but they do target them for a period of time before either taking a break or using a different target list for a while.

You are right I hadn't.

Is it still rampant there at times? Nothing when I checked right now...

I'd love for Linden Lab to say whether they did / are doing something.

For the moment I am enjoying the unfettered view :).

It does seem much better, and that's genuinely encouraging.

Coincidentally, I was just looking at Jeff Atwood's discourse.org (as BoingBoing is using for their "BBS", replacing Disqus) and wondering if it might be better than conventional forums for Second Life. Or maybe, if SL ever gets hot again, a third party might be motivated to launch a Discourse-based site (assuming they haven't already).

Community Linden wrote:

Thanks for noticing - glad to hear some of the recent changes we've made have helped with the spam. It's an ongoing challenge for any platform, and we'll continue to monitor and take additional measures as needed.

Thank you for coming in and confirming that you made some changes - that's great :).

AND I am very happy to hear from you.

Phil Deakins wrote:

You may be right that LL has done something about it. If they have, they've taken a bl--dy long time about it.

I won't be convinced, though, until it's virtually gone for some time.
It could be just that the spammers are having a break, or a change of targets for a while. Email spammers don't target the same addresses every day but they do target them for a period of time before either taking a break or using a different target list for a while.

Alright, since a Linden acknowledged that they've done it, I'm convinced without waiting some time :)

It's very good news indeed, even though it did take a helluva long time to do it.

Community Linden wrote:

Thanks for noticing - glad to hear some of the recent changes we've made have helped with the spam. It's an ongoing challenge for any platform, and we'll continue to monitor and take additional measures as needed.

I didnt notice..until now lol. And thinking back last week, YES, no spam. For a while there, last few months it was very annoying. Sometimes I would sign in while it was happening and Id wish I could do something to stop it. 

Funny how one can get so annoyed at the time but not notice when its fixed!

Good job Linden :matte-motes-grin:

How long did you see them? I saw some very briefly a day ago or so, but I wasn't rigorous about checking to see exactly how long after I noticed them that they disappeared.

I have an idea that the removal is now automated without need for reader reports. If so, it's interesting that they're removing the spam after posting, rather than filtering it and sending the spam posts directly to the bit-bucket.

I'd be especially impressed if the spam posts continued to appear as if successful when the forums are accessed from the same IP addresses as those from which the posts are made. That wouldn't mean anything, though, if the spammers are posting through botnets.

Emma Krokus wrote:

Wow Linden Lab have cleaned up!

Goodbye spammers!!

Ok I know it's not all gone but the volume has been hugely reduced. There used to be pages and pages of it, now maybe I have seen one a day.

Yay:)

Well done Linden Lab
:)

Emma
:)

Emma,

It's been 4 days since your post and wow, No SPAM to speak of. Way to go Linden Lab SPAM reduction team.

prize.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.