Tattoo!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i have sleeve tattoos and well they are full arm and colorfull but it's mirrored image like both arms have the same tattoo.

Just curious if i made a full arm sleeve tattoo myself for my right arm but made it an undershirt layer!.

Would it cover the existing tattoo since it's a clothing layer thus making it look like i have two seperate sleeve tattoo designs making it look more realistic would that work?

My reply to him is in keeping with the subject at hand, no different than when someone posts on here about an item, clothing,,,etc etc and someone shares a link or name of designer or builder...

as for your retort on my C/P in the other forums...I'll call you on your bombast,,They are BOTH in keeping with the Forum subject at hand,ie., MESH and FASHION>>>>

Mesh is for discussing  the best building practices in making mesh. 

Fashion is to discuss fashion.

What you posted in both of those is classified as advertising.

Also I'd like to point out I do not believe I was bombastic. I was short and simple, but we can get eloquent and converse In a convoluted and bombastic way if you'd like.

Eta: sorry for interrupting this thread 

JamieThunder wrote:

My reply to him is in keeping with the subject at hand, no different than when someone posts on here about an item, clothing,,,etc etc and someone shares a link or name of designer or builder...

as for your retort on my C/P in the other forums...I'll call you on your bombast,,They are BOTH in keeping with the Forum subject at hand,ie., MESH and FASHION>>>>

What you are doing here really is advertising. When someone affiliated with a merchant or creator posts here in answer to a question, the typical format is to mention the store name and then tell the OP you'll send them a PM with a link or IM them inworld.

You're going well beyond that, therefore you should expect to catch some flack for advertising.

Thanks Jamie for sharing that information. I was looking for some tattoo's much like yours...Nice!!! checked your profile and and Pick.. I had no idea anyone was even doing these types of tattoo's on here, all my searching and never could come across anything even remotely like these. I have two sleeve designs I really have wanted for my avi.

And don't worry about the forum troll, ones like him just bring their RL issues on here. Much like the adgae "Misery likes company"

well from what I have seen offered on SL and the MP as for tattoo's hers are far superior, but if you think you can do better have at it bub., Most all I see offered look like a kid drew on someone with a Scriupto pen,,,,and badly at that. The only ones I have found that are even worth the cost are Letis of which I have a few.

Me,I,m going to contact the designer and see about a pair for my avi.

And Harlei,, I hear you,I have seen much the same.Trolls be trolls, at least you stood up for someone instead of knocking them down.

You obviously are one of those who feels the inante need to put down, degrade, or insult anothers efforts.Why? because most likely you lack the ability to even attempt these yourself.

This guy Maximillian is taking tattoo's to a new level and no doubt when they take off they'll be plenty of others doing the same.Good for him....Tattoo designing on SL has basically become stagnant, the same ol same ol. Nothing new , the same boring designs , smudgy tribals, Bad details with the most ridiculous colors.Someone that takes the chance, puts in the effort and ups the bar as for putting out something new should be commended for his efforts

Canoro Philipp wrote:

you can make a one arm tattoo on your own, upload it to SL, make a new tattoo layer, add the image to the tattoo layer and wear it.

to not overlay the other tattoo layer just use the newly created one.

dont wear the old tattoo layer that has both arms.

Second life clothing templates "mirror image" arms for clothing layers, tatoos included. 

To do one arm only requires an attachment.

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLDownloads/UVMaps/SL-Avatar-Top-1024.jpg

mmm... how did i let that pass me.

i understand that is easy to just mirror both sides, but Linden Lab should work on separating both arms, and legs, assuming that not everyone is identical both sides.

it may require a bigger texture, hope that comes with a new improvement in the future.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

mmm... how did i let that pass me.

i understand that is easy to just mirror both sides, but Linden Lab should work on separating both arms, and legs, assuming that not everyone is identical both sides.

it may require a bigger texture, hope that comes with a new improvement in the future.

I don't know the technical reasons, if there even are any, why they have not done that.

But I do know it has been a feature request for as long as I can remember.

Technically it is -optimal-; though what in SL actually is optimal? 

Reducing the amount of texture maps a character uses is a great way to help reduce lag. Though they didn't reduce how many the character can wear -therefore- it is almost negligible that they didn't separate it to another map. It was the areas they thought they could save the unwrap space for (Or so I'd assume) and use less textures for the avis. of course this was probably back when SL wasn't as big as it is now, where it actually did help that they did this.

Now though, It doesn't have any effect on the clientside lag/fps of a pc. (Though back when SL first launched graphic cards were also a lot weaker and a lot more expensive for the power we have now)

RitterAlvarez wrote:

You obviously are one of those who feels the inante need to put down, degrade, or insult anothers efforts.Why? because most likely you lack the ability to even attempt these yourself.

This guy Maximillian is taking tattoo's to a new level and no doubt when they take off they'll be plenty of others doing the same.Good for him....Tattoo designing on SL has basically become stagnant, the same ol same ol. Nothing new , the same boring designs , smudgy tribals, Bad details with the most ridiculous colors.Someone that takes the chance, puts in the effort and ups the bar as for putting out something new should be commended for his efforts

OFFS.

Did I say anything bad about your buddy's mad skills tattooing virtual arms with pixel ink? No, I did not.

But come on. We're not talking about rocket surgery here. It's just friggin' tattoos, the whoopee cushions of fashion.

Canoro Philipp wrote:.

...Linden Lab should work on separating both arms, and legs, assuming that not everyone is identical both sides.

Just to clarify:

Legs are NOT mirrorred. You CAN have different tattoos on each leg (or a tattoo on one leg but not the other)

Only the arm (and hand) and foot is mirrored.

(I'm not entirely sure what happens with the eyes though... I know with mesh eyes they can be attached independently, but 'system' eyes attach as a pair and I'm not sure if they can be textured independently... anyway, I'm wandering off the topic..)

Basic avatar eyes use the same texture on both sides. See this handy reference site for a beginning creator's discussion of all this stuff.

Note, however, that more and more of the avatar is commonly being replaced by custom (especially fitted) mesh, as discussed above as a way of getting asymmetrical tattoos. Same works for eyes, and there are certainly mesh eyes, but that's a simple enough body part that there have been prim eyes for a long, long time.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Basic avatar eyes use the same texture on both sides....

... there are certainly mesh eyes, but that's a simple enough body part that there have been prim eyes for a long, long time.

Thank you for that. Yes, that's what I suspected really of the basic 'system' avatar eyes - I think the texture is repeated rather than mirrored in this case. I've just never made any of these eyes or given much thought to how they work.

And yes - I'm aware of mesh (and prim) replacements, having bought some mesh eyes myself, and indeed I can have one brown eye and one blue eye should I chose in this case!

Bringing it somewhat back on topic - I think the idea of applying tattoos to a fitted mesh 'shell' worn over the avatar sounds interesting. I'm vaguely aware this approach has already been attempted with standard rigged mesh, though I've never tried anything that does this to know how well it works.

MIstahMoose wrote:

Technically it is -optimal-; though what in SL actually is optimal? 

Reducing the amount of texture maps a character uses is a great way to help reduce lag. Though they didn't reduce how many the character can wear -therefore- it is almost negligible that they didn't separate it to another map. It was the areas they thought they could save the unwrap space for (Or so I'd assume) and use less textures for the avis. of course this was probably back when SL wasn't as big as it is now, where it actually did help that they did this.

Now though, It doesn't have any effect on the clientside lag/fps of a pc. (Though back when SL first launched graphic cards were also a lot weaker and a lot more expensive for the power we have now)

There were a lot of decisions made based on the technology available at the time that we are paying the price for today. 

There are upgrades LL could do but they won't because of how much existing content it would break.  It is something they really try to avoid in a big way.  They have done it, but they really do try to avoid it.

Sometimes I think it is amazing it has scaled as far as it has.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.