Is sharing a chat log a breach of the TOS?

Tigs Tuqiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have seen profiles which contain a warning to the effect that if you share a chat log you are effectively sharing "intellectual property" which is in breach of the TOS however reading the TOS it doesn't sound like it would extend to text chats. Can anyone clarify?

13 answers to this question

It is a breach.

1. Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

This older wiki is probably more explicit about that:

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

"Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AtheriesDaystar said:

@Syo Emerald but what if the person tp's to me on a public sim and speaks to me and my friend in public/nearby chat in a cruel or otherwise demeaning manner is it okay to share that on my profile as warning to my friends that this person may be trying to stir up trouble for me, I mean since it was in a public area and they didn't bother using privet chat to call me and my friend things like Wh*re or C**t Etc, does the TOS protect their right to slander me and my friend publically just cause they feel like trying to cause pain or is it fair game to share my Nearby/public chat... i must admit that if sharing public chat that directly involves me breaches the TOS I have a bit of deleting to do and I apologise but only if I'm breaching the TOS

PS: not trying to be snide or sarcastic I genuinely want to know where this stands in regards to the TOS

@valerie Inshan gave you all the info needed.  You can put in an abuse report on the people who offended you (you should have done that at the time and there of course). The Lab has all the open and private chat logs of everyone so they can check if they want. Unless there is something much more major than name calling I suspect they do not care.  

My advice is to find some better sims to hang out in :D

Without the permission no one can share chat-logs in SL or on this forums, that would be a breach of the TOS.

Whatever people write on their profiles doesn´t matter if its against any standing law or contract - end of

Someone with this crap written i wouldn´t touch with gloves :matte-motes-evil-invert:

However outside SL and the forums ....

Monti

@Syo Emerald but what if the person tp's to me on a public sim and speaks to me and my friend in public/nearby chat in a cruel or otherwise demeaning manner is it okay to share that on my profile as warning to my friends that this person may be trying to stir up trouble for me, I mean since it was in a public area and they didn't bother using privet chat to call me and my friend things like Wh*re or C**t Etc, does the TOS protect their right to slander me and my friend publically just cause they feel like trying to cause pain or is it fair game to share my Nearby/public chat... i must admit that if sharing public chat that directly involves me breaches the TOS I have a bit of deleting to do and I apologise but only if I'm breaching the TOS

PS: not trying to be snide or sarcastic I genuinely want to know where this stands in regards to the TOS

Edited by AtheriesDaystar

9 hours ago, AtheriesDaystar said:

Definitely remove anything you might have in your profile.  And while you might enjoy whatever place(s) you've been having these issues, as Chic said, your best course of action is to find somewhere else.  SL is huge and there really is no reason to waste your SL time allowing others to make you miserable.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2013 at 2:35 AM, valerie Inshan said:

It is a breach.

1. Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

This older wiki is probably more explicit about that:

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

"Conversation" means text that originally came from Second Life chat or Second Life instant messages. If it's totally unattributed, then it isn't considered disclosure. Additionally, Residents are not punished for sharing or posting a comment such as "Bob Resident said, 'You're the greatest!'"

Thank you for sharing this, For a moment I thought my bully was protected by the TOS. There are laws against cyber bullying in my country, it's good to know that Linden Labs acknowledges them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MzSarken said:

Thank you for sharing this, For a moment I thought my bully was protected by the TOS. There are laws against cyber bullying in my country, it's good to know that Linden Labs acknowledges them.

Usually necroposting - that is reopening old threads - is frowned upon in thse forums. But in this case: well done! This is important information that many people seem to be unaware of and it's a good thing to bring it back up every now and then.

• Like 2

I didn't pay attention to the dates. Still, isn't it better than starting 'yet another thread' on the same topic?

I've managed forum sites for 10+ years and most admins I've teamed with agree on this- it's better to comment on an old thread than start a new one on the same topic.

1 hour ago, MzSarken said:

isn't it better than starting 'yet another thread' on the same topic?

Generally not.  Things change so quickly in SL that perfectly good advice that we posted to a question in 2013 can easily be outdated and flat out wrong today.  Adding new discussion to an old thread puts all that dead information back into circulation again.  As you can see in this case, people who read a necropost can very easily miss the fact that they have been sucked into reading very old discussions.  It's better to let those old threads die a peaceful death.  If you find an old (more than a year old) thread, ignore it.  If you have a new question , start a new thread.

none of that makes any sense , this dialog is shared by two people its stupid to need some one's agreement to share what they said TO YOU they already agreed to share it the moment they typed it to you , i understand that the TOS ''rule '' here meant regarding real life information which again is the person's responsibility NOT every one else's not to mention that they can share it on a 3rd party without asking so its like   (( OH you are not allowed to make this person angry but you are FINE blasting him to the world anywhere else even if it makes them angry )) this is stupidity defined 

also when its a matter of terminating some ones work time money spent and effort even if its a virtual space we dont use subjective opinion or at least we should NOT we use objective fact and fact is  a conversation happened a person is responsible for their words and actions other wise anyone with enough popularity will win which is UNFAIR to anyone else , TIME AND AGAIN sim admins asked that i report what happened in IMs To people so they can deal with them annoying others for no reason so what ? we just allow them unlesss they agree for us to share what they said so they get ban ?
also they are called IMs short for INSTANT MSGs not PM short for privet MSGs by what right are you calling them privet ??

I'm not sure who you think you are communicating with here in this now ANCIENT thread.  This is a resident-to-resident forum.  On those rare occasions when a Linden stops in, it is not to debate company policy but usually to close a thread that has gotten out of control.  All we can do as residents is refer you to the TOS and published company statements regarding how the TOS is applied.  You'll find the relevant information here posted in Valerie Inshan's 2013 post.  None of that has changed in the past five years, or is likely to.  Telling other SL residents that you don't like it won't make any difference.  If you share the contents of chat or IMs without the permission of other parties in the conversation, you are violating the TOS and can be sanctioned, possibly banned from SL.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.