• Announcements

    • Xiola Linden

      The New Community Platform   03/21/2017

      We are still working on making adjustments and changes to the new platform. Thanks  to everyone who has been sending in feedback and filing any bugs you've encountered! 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snoopencil

Bots

21 posts in this topic

 A few of these have visited my sim,at least I and others think they are bots what I`d like to know is what can these bots do could they be tracking me as my main, the thing is some of the suspected bots I`ve seen out around the grid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be paranoid. Nobody can track you, and nobody would do the effort to create several bots just to annoy you. There were several threads about bots in the past and sometimes nobody knows what they are supposed to do. If they don't harm you or anyone else in the sim...I wouldn't bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well somebody has to create them and log them in and out, although the ones that I`m talking about seems to be online 24/7. What use is a bot to anyone??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the most likely thing the bots are doing is creating a report on sims -- checking that the sim is still there and checking the number of people there.  The count is something theyy might want to get every hour.  This info it made available in reports.

TKR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't want them there, ban them.  Just be aware that you probably will have to ban several of them before they stop coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:

*Pulls up a chair and waits for Phil to enter the thread*
;)

I'm going to pass on this thread because there's nothing in it to interest me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:

*Pulls up a chair and waits for Phil to enter the thread*
;)

I'm going to pass on this thread because there's nothing in it to interest me
:)

Well dangit!  A thread about your favorite topic.

*Sighs, picks up my chair and moves on*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Snoopencil wrote:

 A few of these have visited my sim,at least I and others think they are bots what I`d like to know is what can these bots do could they be tracking me as my main, the thing is some of the suspected bots I`ve seen out around the grid

Hiya, Snoopencil

The bots are unlikely to be doing anything that will harm you particularly.  Some are even fun, if they are the type that you can interact with.

chatbot.jpg

There continues to be curiousity as to what some of the other random bots dotted around the grid do, as in this other thread http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Curiouser-and-curiouser/m-p/953465#M11199  But these just tend to remain in one sim and spam groups that allow advertising.

Other bots that tour the grid are ones that are programmed to take a 360degree photo of a location to add to a website. Others are programmed to snap up parcels of mainland that have been set for sale at a price that is acceptably low to them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Snoopencil wrote:

What use is a bot to anyone??

There are two ways of programming things for SL.  Within SL itself you can write a script using LSL, which is how objects that 'do something' (eg; doors, vendors, vehicles, etc.) are made.  LSL has some limitations, however, that an avatar does not.  For instance, a script can't issue a join invitation for a closed group.  An object, and therefore the script inside it, can't have money either, only the owning avatar/group.

Which leads to the other way of programming - create an avatar as normal then write/use a programme on your own computer to operate it for you.  This IS a bot (and they should be marked as such in their profiles IIRC).  There are two immediate uses from what I've put above - use them to control group invitations and for accounting.  24/7.  Just remember to leave your computer on :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PeterCanessa Oh wrote:


Snoopencil wrote:

What use is a bot to anyone??

There are two ways of programming things for SL.  Within SL itself you can write a script using LSL, which is how objects that 'do something' (eg; doors, vendors, vehicles, etc.) are made.  LSL has some limitations, however, that an avatar does not.  For instance, a script can't issue a join invitation for a closed group.  An object, and therefore the script inside it, can't have money either, only the owning avatar/group.

Which leads to the other way of programming - create an avatar as normal then write/use a programme on your own computer to operate it for you.  
This IS a bot (and they should be marked as such in their profiles
IIRC).  There are two immediate uses from what I've put above - use them to control group invitations and for accounting.  24/7.  Just remember to leave your computer on :-)

 

There's no need to mark them as bots in their profiles. Their account must, however, be registered as 'scripted agents'. There is no way for we users to know whether or not an avatar is registered as a scripted agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:

*Pulls up a chair and waits for Phil to enter the thread*
;)

I'm going to pass on this thread because there's nothing in it to interest me
:)

Well dangit!  A thread about your favorite topic.

*Sighs, picks up my chair and moves on*

Yes I know, but there are some uses of bots that are of no interest to me at all, and this looks like one of them. The good ol' days of traffic bots have largely gone now :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These so called Bots seem to turn up at certain live events i go to with my partner, the only thing i`m paranoid about is could it be an ex of mine, one thing that tells me no is because other people who have regognised these as bots have said so on their web feed which could easily be removed if an human was actually operating them. I could give their names here thats of course if its allowed to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Snoopencil wrote:

These so called Bots seem to turn up at certain live events i go to with my partner, the only thing i`m paranoid about is could it be an ex of mine, one thing that tells me no is because other people who have regognised these as bots have said so on their web feed which could easily be removed if an human was actually operating them. I could give their names here thats of course if its allowed to. 

You don't need to give names, you aren't allowed anyway, and exactly what is it you're so paranoid of?

If someone is bothering you block/mute them. There, your problem is solved. Even if these avatars were bots sent by your ex, what harm is it you think they could do? If that were the case, you complaining about it and showing you're paranoid would probably feed the very reason that ex sent them in the first place. Though I doubt this to be the case at all.

There is really no need to be paranoid. Odds are these bots and you happen to be in the same area because it's popular. Everyone else has already told you the, very valid, reasons a bot would exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your first post, you said the bots come to your sim. Now you say they turn up at certain live events you go to. Is it one, or the other, or both?

Anyone who wanted to check were you are would almost certainly do it the easy way - create a new alt and TP to places where you might be. Creating a bot that TPs to places where you may be isn't anywhere near as easy or simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

...
 

There's no need to mark them as bots in their profiles. Their account must, however, be registered as 'scripted agents'. There is no way for we users to know whether or not an avatar is registered as a scripted agent.

Right ho, that's the bunny I was aiming it.  Thanks for the correction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


PeterCanessa Oh wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

...
 

There's no need to mark them as bots in their profiles. Their account must, however, be registered as 'scripted agents'. There is no way for we users to know whether or not an avatar is registered as a scripted agent.

Right ho, that's the bunny I was aiming it.  Thanks for the correction.

 

I do wish that stores would label their mannequins.

Or at least set up an auto response. 

"Hello.  You are talking to a dummy.  If you are in need of assistance please dial 1-800-YoStupid."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

In your first post, you said the bots come to your sim. Now you say they turn up at certain live events you go to. Is it one, or the other, or both?

Anyone who wanted to check were you are would almost certainly do it the easy way - create a new alt and TP to places where you might be. Creating a bot that TPs to places where you may be isn't anywhere near as easy or simple.

I knew you'd be back.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

In your first post, you said the bots come to your sim. Now you say they turn up at certain live events you go to. Is it one, or the other, or both?

Anyone who wanted to check were you are would almost certainly do it the easy way - create a new alt and TP to places where you might be. Creating a bot that TPs to places where you may be isn't anywhere near as easy or simple.

I knew you'd be back. 
;)

It must be in my genes, making it impossible for me not to post in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Snoopencil, don't worry they cannot harm you or track you. You just happened to be in all the right places at the wrong time. The same thing happened to me 5 times in 3 hours by the same bot,

BurnoBot.png

The bots you speak of sound like the the bots from this thread:

Anyone know what these bots do?

These Bots tend to have alot of SL users posting on their feed about "Bot" "Banned".                                     

They are a bots. Most of them them rotate 720° take pictures then TP to other places to do the same thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0