Thigh gap and frowny mouth

Lisette Seranno

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've noticed this for a while, but thought it was a second life thing. I was watching the news tonight and they did a segment on thigh gaps. Apparently this is a real thing among teen girls trying to achieve this. I must be getting old....

But now I'm curious about the wide frowny mouth. Where is that from? Anybody know? Is it a real life thing or just a second life thing?

Sometimes I think a designer will play games with fashionistas. They make ugly outlandish stuff just to see if people will become willing fashion victims.  Someone always falls for it, and then a few other sheep people think those people are fashion leaders and start buying it too.  Before you know it , it has become a fashion trend and is being featured in all the SL fashion mags and other designers use the look on their models. In the mean time the orginal designers and their imitators have a good laugh all the way to the bank.

Come to think of it, this happens in RL too. :smileyvery-happy:

Its just one of the odd fashion trends in SL, which I will never understand, because it looks like they are celebrating some sort of genetic disorder. But it has its good side: I know I do not fit well together with that sort of people in SL, so I can easily spot who I may not start a conversation with.

About the "frowny" mouth: 

It tends to happen to people who have a fuller/thicker upper lip like me (not an Angelina puffy lip but just bigger).  I used to be dissatisfied with my mouth because it never conformed to the ideal of a full bottom lib with a thinner bowed upper.   I consoled myself and became less dissatisfied with my lips when I read somewhere that a fuller upper lip was an indication of a sensual nature.  Of course that didn't change my rather anemic bottom lip.

Duplicating my mouth in my avi has been a challenge without making my lips puffy because we don't get options for changing the lips separately.

DianeGamer015.pngDianeP2.png

In the first picture the lips were a little too puffy but in the second the top lip is too small and the bottom is too large.  But when I change the ratio between the two they really look weird so for now I'm going with the second look.  I got rid of the frowny look by tilting up the corners of the mouth but in RL my mouth is more frowny except when I smile.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

You mean the wide mouthed "fish face" look? Yeah, that's only an SL thing, thank goodness!

Yeah, it's because there are not that many sliders to fine tune the shape of the mouth and lips in SL.  In Sims 3, for example, there are 3 for the top lip, 3 for the bottom one and something like 12 for the mouth as a whole (it's been awhile so that last may be off).

My top lip is very similar to Jennifer Garner's ( of course my bottom one is slightly smaller so not ideal) and it's nealy impossible to get my avi top lip to look the way I want it.

JENNIFER-GARNER-CinemaCon-2012.jpg

SL forces a cupid's bow top line on the top lip so when you try to make the sides of the top lip fuller you end up with the middle part much bigger that does look somewhat like a fish. : )

That's not the frowny mouth I believe people here mean.

This one is:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Fashion/What-s-Up-With-Female-Skins-and-Shapes/m-p/1394813#M5516

- That image was done as a joke on it, but the look is more or less like that.

I think the "style" was already a year or two old in SL when that thread occured. Its been in SL for quite some time now, and sadly seems to show no signs of going away. Though its no longer as common as it used to be.

SL goes through some trends. I've seen a few in my time here.

bling - back when EVERYONE had to have a lot of it.

Neko - there was a time when you had to be a neko to be cool. If you actually are a neko, this was very annoying as it didn't actually improve the quality of what avatar parts we could buy, it just confused search as every venue on the grid no matter what they did or what they were for put 'neko' into their terms.

On a leash... - Yeah, in the months before the 'A content' policy first came out, it seemed like half the grid was clothless, collared and leashed by the other half... They were even starting to show up on 'G' land... If you were lucky, they had at least Gorean silks on...

Vampire - for about 6 months the entire grid thought they had to be vampires and gothy. There are lots of people into this sure, but this was different, and I'm sure it annoyed the actual 'dedicated goth / vampire' types the same way the nekocalypse annoyed me.

And the fishlip thing, which is really yesterday's trend. Its still common, but its not a super-meme anymore.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

That's not the frowny mouth I believe people here mean.

This one is:

- That image was done as a joke on it, but the look is more or less like that.

The fact that people want to look like that scares, yet amuses me :smileysurprised:

What really drives me nuts is the look, combined with a 100 dial on the T&A, seems to still be very popular among a certain kind of people that adopt african skin tones...

...and then run around talking like an overdone parody of project hood rats. Usually sticking to places with an M or A rating and the term 'interracial' in them... But they will show up elsewhere from time to time as well...

Many of the 'black power fists', MLK, and Malcom X images I put up in places are partly there to ward them off (like hanging garlic). :P

- I'm not African either (as I doubt any of them are. Myself being Asian/Native American), but I grew up "in the hood" and I'm not going to make fun of a people I deeply admire with some kind of Sambo-caricature.

I've seen this same issue with the thighs circulating on tumblr, but instead the people on there are like "what is the purpose of the thigh gap? DO I STICK MY DRINKS IN THERE?" in a way to kinda, poke fun and show the body shaming issues the thinspo blogs create.

On SL it's pretty much impossible to have a well proportioned avatar WITHOUT a thigh gap as the larger you make the legs, the more disgusting the avi mesh looks (KNEES DONT WORK THAT WAY, LL). I don't know where this 'invisible pony rider' thing came about but I have a feeling it sprung from this.

As for the fish lips...I'm trying to find the most appropriate term for this but alas...let's just say they want 'dsl' because apparently that's sexy and leave it at that.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Sometimes I think a designer will play games with fashionistas. They make ugly outlandish stuff just to see if people will become willing fashion victims.  Someone always falls for it, and then a few other
sheep
people think those people are fashion leaders and start buying it too.  Before you know it , it has become a fashion trend and is being featured in all the SL fashion mags and other designers use the look on their models. In the mean time the orginal designers and their imitators have a good laugh all the way to the bank.

Come to think of it, this happens in RL too. :smileyvery-happy:

Like this? *shakes head and wanders off*

pink_n_white_zeb.jpg

KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga wrote:

I've seen this same issue with the thighs circulating on tumblr, but instead the people on there are like "what is the purpose of the thigh gap? DO I STICK MY DRINKS IN THERE?" in a way to kinda, poke fun and show the body shaming issues the thinspo blogs create.

On SL it's pretty much impossible to have a well proportioned avatar WITHOUT a thigh gap as the larger you make the legs, the more disgusting the avi mesh looks (KNEES DONT WORK THAT WAY, LL). I don't know where this 'invisible pony rider' thing came about but I have a feeling it sprung from this.

As for the fish lips...I'm trying to find the most appropriate term for this but alas...let's just say they want 'dsl' because apparently that's sexy and leave it at that.

gonna disagree with you there. The issue here is people are afraid to add fat to there avatar. If you make thicker legs you don't get that weird thigh gap thing but we all need extra unrealistically supermodel thin avies thus the thigh gap issue. Mirrors RL really.

Untitled-1.png

I have some larger ladies up top for refs of how legs work.

Below I took what I generally have for my lady avi. Next to that, I've added a healthy amount of body thickness, body fat, and leg muscle. Notice how the knees barely change, how WRONG the calves look? The thighs here are nearly twice as large as before and yet when I stood up, my avis legs still were not touching. The real ladies above look A+ to me, yet the mesh here forces weight in the strangest of places on the avi and it just looks awful.

With the furs, I've seen an influx of wide hipped and thick thighed mesh bodies - both male and female. And they do the look well and realistic (as far as anthros go).

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/BUNNY-PUZZLE-VISS-Avatar-Gray-Female/4115502

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Orange-Nova-Luddi-Lamb-White/4494231

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Moogle-Mod-for-BG-Feline/3637358

(All links sfw)

If there was a way to fix the LL avi mesh so the legs could look more naturally curved like these here, I have a feeling we'd get at least a few more 'plus sized' ladies on SL.

Studio09 wrote:

OMG.  That avi was so ugly.  Still the LAQ skin and shape my avi started with had a more pleasing version of that fish mouth.

Yeah I just wanted to make sure you knew people weren't targetting your kind of look. There's nothing wrong with your avatar's face that I can see.

Its the caricature look, like the image I linked, that is grating. If you've not seem them inworld that's a good sign - the fad is fading. :)

I've no idea what the current fad is... prim boobs? Seems like EVERYWHERE has tango appliers. But its not reached the crazy fad state yet. There's never been anything like the Nekocolypse again - where you couldn't even find a seller of plain prim cubes that didn't lise them as 'made for nekos'... :)

- Back when I "returned" to SL in 2009, if you searched the grid with a blank hit, and got a million hits, then tried narrowing it for 'neko'... you'd get 2 million hits...

Though the fish lip thing seems to have come close for a while there... o.O

KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga wrote:

On SL it's pretty much impossible to have a well proportioned avatar WITHOUT a thigh gap as the larger you make the legs, the more disgusting the avi mesh looks (KNEES DONT WORK THAT WAY, LL).

Its actually not hard to do at all - but it requires staying under 6'. Because, as you note - the larger you make the legs, the more distorted they get. But its even worse with the arms (for females, who almost always need an arm setting between 90 to 100 to not T-rex.

Summer Tison wrote:

Like this? *shakes head and wanders off*

pink_n_white_zeb.jpg

O...M...G...

I can't stand those pants. And that mesh is perhaps the MOST POPULAR mesh template in SL, it seems every mesh shop that uses templates at all has a copy of that out there colored up somehow.

Drives me nuts everytime I see it.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

The issue here is people are afraid to add fat to there avatar. If you make thicker legs you don't get that weird thigh gap thing but we all need extra unrealistically supermodel thin avies thus the thigh gap issue. Mirrors RL really.

Lol, yeah.

"Just set the body fat dial to 1 and you'll be fine..."

"OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG OMG, 

I IZ NOT FAT!!!"

"... Um... its justa dial, its just labeled 'body fat', its not like I'm asking you to join the state fair hotdog eating contest."

(And you need it higher than just 1, though it often doesn't take much - just something...)

I still have to say that the thigh gap in between looks much less extreme on the thicker avie then the thinner one. I mean I suppose it's not the ultimate solution but i helps a lot. I have BG and I lvoe that avie it's very sexy in person. Nicely done. I mean I won't argue that the defualt SL avie is problematic in design as that would be folly at it's greatest I'm only say the ultra thin look seems to excentuate the problem more then nessicary I suppose.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.