what does you are in a limbo mean??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pregnant Mavin.jpg

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Oy!  Now that's going to give me nightmares. :matte-motes-agape:  There is an "Evil Talking Tummy" that I've seen for sale in SL.  Very clever.

ETA: Waidaminute!!!!  Are male martians the ones who birth the babies?  Mars is sounding like an interesting place.
;)

Pregnant Marvin.

She got me drunk and in my stupour she took advantage of me and when I woke the following morning she was gone, her account deleted.  It was a rough pregnacy.  I was so ashamed and alone.

What a great picture.   I have a wonderful Evil Tummy Talker that says stuff like "Innula cries every night wondering how she got into this mess" and "Innula prays her unborn child will not grow up to be a Linden".

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonja Smedley wrote:

Yes Perrie I know you seem to hate me...have I done something to you?

I absolutely do not understand why you think I hate you as an Individual.

Unless you are taking my statement that in RP it is human nature to hate Vamps so personally.

I've been watching RP in SL for around six years now.  My experience has been, and yes it is my experience, other people may have experienced differently, that the most drama I have seen has been in the BDSM and Bloodline's communities.

As stated by its founder, Bloodlines was meant to be a "blight" on the Grid.  That is a simple fact. 

Here is a question.  Why do you need Bloodlines to RP being a Vamp?  Are people in Bloodlines going to refuse to RP with you if you don't join it?  What does it say about those people?

Those are just honest questions.  They don't mean that I hate you.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Oy!  Now that's going to give me nightmares. :matte-motes-agape:  There is an "Evil Talking Tummy" that I've seen for sale in SL.  Very clever.

ETA: Waidaminute!!!!  Are male martians the ones who birth the babies?  Mars is sounding like an interesting place.
;)

Pregnant Marvin.

She got me drunk and in my stupour she took advantage of me and when I woke the following morning she was gone, her account deleted.  It was a rough pregnacy.  I was so ashamed and alone.

What a great picture.   I have a wonderful Evil Tummy Talker that says stuff like "Innula cries every night wondering how she got into this mess" and "Innula prays her unborn child will not grow up to be a Linden".

A lot of what my tummy says would get **bleep** by this Forum.

But it is things like, "Getting revenge for Marvin eating broccoli again, the baby stomps on Marvin's bladder causing him to wet his pants again."

Sonja Smedley wrote:

I have never tried to roleplay a vampire without bloodlines cause I only know this one.

Are there vampire roleplays without it...I am new into this and I never did a search.But yes maybe I should do that.

Thank you.

I know there is other stuff available but I really don't keep track of it.

As with any RP, it might take some searching to find what works for you.

Sonja Smedley wrote:

I have never tried to roleplay a vampire without bloodlines cause I only know this one.

Are there vampire roleplays without it...I am new into this and I never did a search.But yes maybe I should do that.

Thank you.

Ok...because I ALWAYS like sticking my nose in where is doesn't belong (and hope I don't get hit with a newspaper while doing it) I checked in the search for Vampire Roleplay that did not contain Bloodlines. I came up with a few. I can not verify how good or bad they are. I am not into Vampire RP..but at least it's a start

Realm of Dargon specifically says No Bloodlines

http://world.secondlife.com/group/4c3e5880-b491-8e22-765e-ce6bbe8df171

Also saw something called Crossroads...didn't say it was involved with Bloodlines, but you'll have to check it out. (no link..need to find it through search)

And...if you're intent on finding a clan, there is Gehena Vampire Clan. Again, I make no promises with this. I am just relaying information

Good luck

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pregnant Mavin.jpg

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

;)

Pregnant Marvin.

THAT'S the one I was referring to earlier in the thread. *Preens*

@Maddy - Great pic!!!

Sonja Smedley wrote:

Thank you.

I did mention, I think twice, in this thread about a long-time forumite that is probably on the "other" forums now that rp'd a vampire as her main avatar but who was also anti-bloodlines because it cast a bad light on those who rp'd vampires well.  Wish I could remember her name...I was going through the archives last night trying to find one of her posts.

A few years ago when I was standing around at a dance venue I was messaged with the opening being something like:

You sense a dark presence peering at you from the shadows.

Ok, that DEFINITELY beats "Hi. How old r u?" as an opening line.  I began speaking with the "dark presence in the shadows" which turned into meeting a rather gallant vampire of some antiquity.  I interacted with him for a few weeks on and off and was invited to his mansion which was amazingly creepy.  He wore some AO that made him slightly lift off his feet every now and then.  The mansion was decorated like a slightly rundown Victorian manse, complete with framed antique photos.  Occasionally wolf howls were heard.  When he logged off, a flurry of bat wings were left in his wake.

A person can rp most anything in SL without having to belong to a group.  It makes it more fun for some people (I tend to be a loner) to be in a community such as people who enjoy Victorian era rp living in Caledon or Mieville, places such as 1920's Berlin, then there's the whole child avatar group - some have "families," some don't.  Vampires are generally loners but knowing at least one or two others would be a good idea.  How many vampire novels have you read?  (And I'm not talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer") but classics like Bram Stoker's Dracula.  Good rp involves knowledge about the selected genre.  The "vampire" gent that I met complimented me on my rp skills and said that was rare for him to find in SL.  While vampires aren't my thing, I enjoyed him because of his wit and the authentic manner in which he portrayed his chosen character.

Having read quite a few of your posts over the years, Sonja, something springs to mind, and I mean this sincerely and not in any negative way:  Is rping a vampire something that "calls" to you, or is it that you want to be in some kind of a group, regardless of the rp theme?  That's kind of the impression I've gotten but I could be wrong.

Good luck in whatever you choose. :)

Tex Monday wrote:

Sonja Smedley wrote:

Thank you.

Ok...because I ALWAYS like sticking my nose in where is doesn't belong (and hope I don't get hit with a newspaper while doing it) I checked in the search for Vampire Roleplay that did not contain Bloodlines. I came up with a few. I can not verify how good or bad they are. I am not into Vampire RP..but at least it's a start

Realm of Dargon specifically says No Bloodlines

Also saw something called Crossroads...didn't say it was involved with Bloodlines, but you'll have to check it out. (no link..need to find it through search)

And...if you're intent on finding a clan, there is Gehena Vampire Clan. Again, I make no promises with this. I am just relaying information

Good luck

Ooooo....I explored Crossroads during the time I was keeping company with the Vamp.  I really liked it.  Also, there is a rp sim representing the seamy side of Victorian England, complete with dark alleys and a constant watch for Jack the Ripper.  When I went deeper into the sim (wearing a visitor tag), I encountered a river of blood and, after crossing a bridge, found a vampire area of that sim.  I can't recall what the name is now, but will try to find it next time I'm in world as I think I still have a notecard from there.

ETA: Just popped in world and Crossroads *is* the Dark Victorian rp that includes a vampire section.  At the landing area are their rules, visitor tag, and (what I found particularly impressive) a board with photos of guides with online indicators who could be paged to give a tour and/or explain more about the sim.  I always meant to go back and do that, but got sidetracked.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sonja Smedley wrote:

Unless you are taking my statement that in RP it is human nature to hate Vamps so personally.

I've been watching RP in SL for around six years now.  My experience has been, and yes it is my experience, other people may have experienced differently, that the most drama I have seen has been in the BDSM and Bloodline's communities.

As stated by its founder, Bloodlines was meant to be a "blight" on the Grid.  That is a simple fact. 

Here is a question.  Why do you need Bloodlines to RP being a Vamp?  Are people in Bloodlines going to refuse to RP with you if you don't join it?  What does it say about those people?

Why do you need Bloodlines to RP being a Vamp? 

- You don't need Bloodlines to Vamp... It is however helpful, you get animations, you get a community built up on familiar shared ideas and rules.

Are people in Bloodlines going to refuse to RP with you if you don't join it?

- If they are creative at RP and they have a shared desire for a type of RP then I see no reason to think they wouldn't. I see bloodlines Vamps and Lycans doing lots of other RPs and activities. Just like anyone else.

What does it say about those people?

- It says they are subject to the same social dynamics as the rest of us.

- How else did you expect those questions to be answered? The answers seem obvious.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Earlier in the thread you said he described it as a "scourge".   Did he also describe it a "blight" on another occasion?

I know you said earlier that you don't have the actual quotation about it being "a scourge"  to hand, but I'm starting to think it would be helpful to see what, in fact, he actually did say in context.    

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Earlier in the thread you said he described it as a "scourge".   Did he also describe it a "blight" on another occasion?

I know you said earlier that you don't have the actual quotation about it being "a scourge"  to hand, but I'm starting to think it would be helpful to see what, in fact, he actually did say in context.    

In post #27 I stated:

"That still does not change what Bloodlines is intended to be as stated by its creator.  I used the word 'scourge' because as I stated I didn't feel like digging out the exact quote.  I could have used the word 'blite'  (my misspelling) just as well." 

As I stated the first time I was summarizing what he said into one word.  But it was definitely a post of that tenor and my memory is that he used the word 'scourge.'

It was back when the Vampires were given their own little sub forum and he was invited by LL as I recall to write.

Aethelwine wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sonja Smedley wrote:

Why do you need Bloodlines to RP being a Vamp? 

- You don't need Bloodlines to Vamp... It is however helpful, you get animations, you get a community built up on familiar shared ideas and rules.

Are people in Bloodlines going to refuse to RP with you if you don't join it?

- If they are creative at RP and they have a shared desire for a type of RP then I see no reason to think they wouldn't. I see bloodlines Vamps and Lycans doing lots of other RPs and activities. Just like anyone else.

What does it say about those people?

- It says they are subject to the same social dynamics as the rest of us.

- How else did you expect those questions to be answered? The answers seem obvious.

I'm totally uncertain of what you mean by your last statement,   "- How else did you expect those questions to be answered? The answers seem obvious."

They obviously don't add up to my hating Sonja.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

In post #27 I stated:

"That still does not change what Bloodlines is intended to be as stated by its creator.  I used the word 'scourge' because as I stated I didn't feel like digging out the exact quote.  I could have used the word 'blite' 
(my misspelling)
just as well." 

As I stated the first time I was summarizing what he said into one word.  But it was definitely a post of that tenor and my memory is that he used the word 'scourge.'

It was back when the Vampires were given their own little sub forum and he was invited by LL as I recall to write.

Thanks.   I found it, I think.   

What Lyle Maeterlinck actually said was 

The Bloodlines system was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life. If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been an interesting social experiment to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

However, in real life, fending off the vampires wouldn't be quite so easy as just saying a simple 'decline'. If you are truly bothered by the requests, we provide a simple way to protect yourself: the garlic necklace. The vast majority of our players don't go around sending random bite requests, so I hope you won't judge our system based on the actions of a few.

Personally, I  don't think that "was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life" can fairly be paraphrased as "was intended to be a blight (or, if you prefer, scourge) upon Second Life".   I think it's a fancy way of saying "it was an exercise in viral marketing" (and a very successful one, too).

Be that as it may, in my dealings with them, neither of the creators of Bloodlines have struck me as wanting to inflict a scourge, or blight, upon SL.   

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

In post #27 I stated:

"That still does not change what Bloodlines is intended to be as stated by its creator.  I used the word 'scourge' because as I stated I didn't feel like digging out the exact quote.  I could have used the word 'blite' 
(my misspelling)
just as well." 

Thanks.   I found it, I think.   

What Lyle Maeterlinck

The Bloodlines system was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life. If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been an interesting social experiment to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse.

However, in real life, fending off the vampires wouldn't be quite so easy as just saying a simple 'decline'. If you are truly bothered by the requests, we provide a simple way to protect yourself: the garlic necklace. The vast majority of our players don't go around sending random bite requests, so I hope you won't judge our system based on the actions of a few.

Personally, I  don't think that "
was designed to spread like a real vampire curse
through Second Life
" can fairly be paraphrased as "was intended to be a blight (or, if you prefer, scourge) upon Second Life".   I think it's a fancy way of saying "it was an exercise in viral marketing" (and a very successful one, too).

Be that as it may, in my dealings with them, neither of the creators of Bloodlines have struck me as wanting to inflict a scourge, or blight, upon SL.   

I do respect that he has achieved his goal of spreading it like a curse.

I would still question some things he said back then if he repeated them today but I really don't want to get involved in another discussion about it.

I also remember what was going on in the Forum in general at that time.  Many of us had been involved in the Community User group trying to help shape and grow the new "Lithium" Forum.  All of the sudden we found ourselves cut off and when we tried to ask some questions we were essentially told to **bleep** off.  It was not a happy time for many of us.

We do know that at some point in time (before that thread) they made two changes to their system.  One was a bite request could not be sent to an Avatar under two weeks old if I recall correctly.  The other was that instead of having to buy the hemlock potion to get "un-bit,' they started giving away the garlic necklace.

While it is possible that this was done altruistically, I have a theory that it was done at LL's request.  Many people I knew would treat Bite Requests as griefing and would AR anyone sending a bite request.  My guess is that the number of AR's was huge and LL stepped in.  But that of course is only my theory and I have no proof of it.

I do have friends who still have not worn the Garlic Necklace.  And they still get random bite requests.  The problem has not gone away.

On a last note, I don't have any issues with someone wanting to RP a Vampire.  If they respect my space I will respect theirs.  But if they try to bite me, I will do what Humans do and drive a stake through their heart and help them along with their RP.  ;)  But really, Vampirism is one of the least of my concerns in SL.

Thank you for finding the post. I also remembered it and knew it was available if only I could remember the person's name.

I disagree with your reading of the effect as being other than a 'scourge', although blight might be too strong a word.

"The Bloodlines system was designed to spread like a real vampire curse through Second Life. If there were vampires running around trying to bite everyone in real life, surely there would be some people who were upset. I think it has been an interesting social experiment to see how a curse of this kind can successfully spread through a virtual population. I think it's even more interesting if people think of the vampires as  "despised", as people might despise a real vampire curse. "

It doesn't seem at all a stretch to consider his action and apparent attitude regarding the rest of the residents as irresponsible to an astonishing degree. What he set in motion is at best one step below a griefing tool and the fact is that it did become a griefing tool in many ways (although, as has been pointed out, that does seem to have tapered off considerably). The fact that he may very well have made a ton of money with the tool is not logically relevant, but it certainly does nothing to make him more attractive.

Perrie Juran wrote:

We do know that at some point in time (before that thread) they made two changes to their system.  One was a bite request could not be sent to an Avatar under two weeks old if I recall correctly.  The other was that instead of having to buy the hemlock potion to get "un-bit,' they started giving away the garlic necklace.

My garlic necklace, or at least the notecard that goes with it,  was acquired in October 2008, so quite some while before that thread, and (as I recall) not that long after Bloodlines started.    

Dillon Levenque wrote:

It doesn't seem at all a stretch to consider his action and apparent attitude regarding the rest of the residents as irresponsible to an astonishing degree. What he set in motion is at best one step below a griefing tool and the fact is that it did become a griefing tool in many ways (although, as has been pointed out, that does seem to have tapered off considerably). The fact that he may very well have made a ton of money with the tool is not logically relevant, but it certainly does nothing to make him more attractive.

I think what's puzzling me is, as I suggested above, that unsolicited requests to bite people are certainly irritating, but no more so (and often less) than intrusive gestures, over-done face lights, tummy talkers, spammy greeters and dozens of other things we take in our stride in SL.   I'm sorry, but describing bite requests as "griefing tools" really does seem to overstate the case -- it's hardly in the same league as people trying to crash your viewer, deform your avatar, or crash sims, after all.    

Would I rather have to deal with someone who's trying out his new Bloodlines fangs or with someone who's trying out his new griefing "Only To Be Used For Self Defence" hud?   Well, ideally neither, but if I have to choose, I'll take the vampire any time since I can simply ignore or mute him and carry on with what I'm doing.   It's no big deal, surely?

I'm not sticking up for spampires, but I just don't understand why people find them so particularly annoying.   For me, they're simply one comparatively minor nuisance among many.    

Perrie Juran wrote:

On a last note, I don't have any issues with someone wanting to RP a Vampire.  If they respect my space I will respect theirs.  But if they try to bite me, I will do what Humans do and drive a stake through their heart and help them along with their RP. 
;)

I've always thought a vampire hunters game within SL would be lots of fun.  There are vampire hunter kits on the MP but nothing that automatically kills vampires.

However, you might have seen me post about the animated silver stake a friend of mine made when the bloodlines craze first began.  Note to those who haven't seen many negative comments about bloodlines: Check out the entirety of this thread and its date.  This issue has been recycled over the years.

If anyone would like the lm for one of the silver stakes, please IM me in world. (I would post it here but am not in world atm.  When I do go in world I will edit this post with the info.)

The stake is "off" in two regards:

*A vampire is killed via a wooden stake through the heart. (Werewolves are killed by silver bullets.)

*This item offers a bite and, when accepted, performs the stake-through-the-heart routine.  Generally another vampire isn't going to accept a bite request, but I could be wrong there.

About six months ago the "How do I cure a vampire bite" issue came up and the poster, after reading about this device, acquired one.  It is apparently mod because he changed the texture to wood and, iirc, changed the script to give a hug or some other action instead of a bite.

From one of my favorite classic movies, "Love at First Bite":

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I think what's puzzling me is, as I suggested above, that unsolicited requests to bite people are certainly irritating, but no more so (and often less) than intrusive gestures, over-done face lights, tummy talkers, spammy greeters and dozens of other things we take in our stride in SL.   I'm sorry, but describing bite requests as "griefing tools" really does seem to overstate the case -- it's hardly in the same league as people trying to crash your viewer, deform your avatar, or crash sims, after all.    

Would I rather have to deal with someone who's trying out his new Bloodlines fangs or with someone who's trying out his new
griefing
"Only To Be Used For Self Defence" hud?   Well, ideally neither, but if I have to choose, I'll take the vampire any time since I can simply ignore or mute him and carry on with what I'm doing.   It's no big deal, surely?

I'm not sticking up for spampires, but I just don't understand why people find them so particularly annoying.   For me, they're simply one comparatively minor nuisance among many.    

So wild. 

Last night I TP'd into a club and it had to be the fastest unsolicited Friend Request I have ever received.  She beat the automated notecard/landmark giver!

The way I function when I receive unsolicited requests is to glance at profile before responding.

Two year old account.  One group listed. Vampire!

It's a very busy club with a zero tolerance policy for biters.

So instead she was sending friend requests.

I call that creative marketing.  ;)

She was also smart enough to not send friend requests to the DJ and hostesses.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Would I rather have to deal with someone who's trying out his new Bloodlines fangs or with someone who's trying out his new
griefing
"Only To Be Used For Self Defence" hud?   Well, ideally neither, but if I have to choose, I'll take the vampire any time since I can simply ignore or mute him and carry on with what I'm doing.   It's no big deal, surely?

One reason is that bloodlines has to be "opted out" of if one does not want to be spammed by bite requests.  Those of us who are experienced SL residents know to read what a blue drop-down menu says before clicking on it; there is a reason some/many bloodlines players hang out in newbie hubs.  Many new residents who have posted in the forums over the years saying they were "bitten" state that they received several drop-down menus at a time (which can easily happen at many in world shops, never mind griefing-rich areas such as the info hubs).

Having to specifically opt out of this spam by wearing the garlic necklace, instead of voluntarily "opting in" if one chooses to participate in a SL rp game  by purchasing a HUD, etc.,  is one of the top reasons I have seen for people disliking bloodlines.  Another top reason I have seen over the years is people not wanting their names in some database owned by a stranger.  Even wearing the garlic necklace places one's name in their database and many don't wish to do that.

I do recall when club owners put "No Bite Zone" signs outside their clubs due to losing customers who were being spammed by bloodlines players and would kick/ban anyone who did so.  The signs were also posted at NCI and many other newbie-friendly areas.  I think "No Bite Requests" are still on many of the rules at public sandboxes.  This *was* a big problem back in late 2007-2008 to the point where residents were asking LL to ban this game.  I recall the events of which Perrie speaks.  I'm sure there are threads in the archived forums that speak to this.

We have a mutual friend who is now in IW.  She makes animations among other things and I believe you have done some scripting work for her.  She was good friends with the woman I keep mentioning who rp'd a vampire and detested bloodlines.  If you run into her in IW, you might ask her opinion of bloodlines. It's become obvious you refuse to listen to any of us. ;)

That has happend to me several times. I decline ALL bite requests. They get mad and grief. I don't think much of the bloodlines clans. I am in the BDSM community and as such we have certain rules and protocal unwritten that we go by. Like never binding the unwilling. I assume Vampire clans are the same way. Maybe not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.