Hosts in SL (rock) clubs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes we do, someone who interacts with the crowd in some way, even small way is far more entertaining and fun than someone spinning music and acting like a statue. I feel people go to clubs not just for the music (we could listen to youtube, cd's etc on our own computer) but to enjoy the personality of the dj also :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gadget Portal wrote:

Here's an interesting thing to add to the conversation.

A while back I contacted BMI (
) about paying royalties as a Second Life DJ. I linked SL to 'em, told 'em what goes on, and I was told in the reply that the land owner where the music is being played is required to pay the royalties.

To this day I wonder if the reply was incorrect.

Are you being provocative or stupid?  Broadcasters pay for rights, recipients listen/watch broadcast.  Recipient=sim appropos SL.  Think before you type.

Bronxcheer wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

) about paying royalties as a Second Life DJ. I linked SL to 'em, told 'em what goes on, and I was told in the reply that the land owner where the music is being played is required to pay the royalties.

Are you being provocative or stupid?  Broadcasters pay for rights, recipients listen/watch broadcast.  Recipient=sim appropos SL.  Think before you type.

Actually your answer is just as stupid, if that's what you really feel about the previous post.

Some sim owners DO rent the streams themselves and therefore, paying the fees falls on their shoulders, as they take responsibility for what goes over the airwaves they are temporarily renting. It doesn't matter who they allow to "borrow" the stream, they are still very much responsible for what gets sent through.

Much in the same that a radio station in rl must pay the proper fees, rather than each individual host/DJ.

This is part of the reason why shoutcast actually has rules(aside from ones they are legally bound to have) one must abide by in order to stream through them. That's another legality most don't follow either, though, an entirely different rant, though related.

Bronxcheer wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

In the U.S., bars and clubs pay royalty/licensing fees to BMI or ASCAP.

Technically, they can't even pump the radio over their sound system unless they have paid their licensing fees.

If they have a jukebox, the jukebox company has special arrangements with BMI/ASCAP.

This is possibly going to be one of those 'open to interpretation' situations, but knowing a bit about how BMI and ASCAP and the Labels would think, they would view the SIM as a "location,' howbeit "virtual."  They always think in terms of their own interests.

When you are watching your favorite sports at '**bleep** are us,' they pay a higher commercial rate for their cable that covers other royalties.

The system (laws) is written completely in favor of the content providers.

Crim Mip wrote:

I consider not having at least a starting playlist to be unprofessional and unprepared. Then once you get a read on the crowd, it's generally pretty easy to pick on the fly.

Are you deriding the use of SAM (glitchy as hell for me) or the fact many pirate it? I don't see that the streaming software one uses is of any concern of the the DJ knows how to work it.

Guess what? I don't consider myself to have a great voice on the mic. I'm not trained as a professional radio announcer or DJ RL so I do the best I can. If I were trained, I wouldn't be wasting my time in SL where even the best night of tips amounts to little more than pocket change. Most do it for fun, not for the tips. If you want somebody with professional skills, pay them a professional amount for their time. Most club owners won't even guarantee a minimum fee they pay if their patrons are stingy on the tips.

I agree it's good to screen requests whenever possible. It doesn't take a very long listen to know if it's something that fits in to one's set. Being able to gacefully decline a request is a needed skill. Oh and yes I do keep track of those who make inappropriate requests.

I agree about the dancers. It takes far more than just adding strip poles around the dance floor to make a good strip club. Most places all you'll get are pose campers who will be ignored by the patrons as they low class decor they are.

Yes obviously you have to have a few songs to start a set out.  But once you have played those I personally like it when a DJ pulls the music they play based on what is happening in the club itself. For example, a good DJ will follow chat too and play songs that 'contribute to the conversation" in a fun way. 

I am not deriding SAM at all.  Pirating though is a different matter.  I briefly sold streams in SL for a company and just about everyone new to using one asked me to provide them with a copy SAM for 'free'. I don't DJ myself so don't have SAM personally but i know a lot about it from owning clubs and have a partner who uses it that could help with technical problems if needed.  Even if I had a copy I never would.  Some got mad and out of line with me when I told them no  I do know for a fact a lot of that goes on though. 

Crim Mip wrote:

You are living in a fantasyland if you think there are very many DJ's actually shelling out all that cash just so they can earn a pittance (and it's a pittance in ANY club) to stream music into SL. A good professional DJ with top equipment isn't sitting in second life. They are out earning thousands of dollars in RL cash rather than thousands of L's.

Exactly my point. Although i do know a few professional RL DJ's that do it in SL for fun.

Bronxcheer wrote:

"The broacaster pays pays for the rights."  Do I have to define what a broadcaster is for your stupid ass too?  If I wasn't expilicit then SIM = people receiving the stream.

I'm going to be nice and assume English isn't your first language. Otherwise one would think you're an ignorant ass who just likes to argue, because your posts don't make a lick of sense. At least, not the way you type them.

So, kudos on knowing enough English to be able to join a discussion. I commend people that learn a second language and have the balls to use it in a public forum before having it down pat. That takes some conviction. Especially given that English is a very difficult language.

I have DJ'ed in SL for five years and most of that time at the same club.  Staff come and go.  Over time, the amount of gestures has dropped significantly and local chat increased (and made things more interesting).  I DJ for the laughs.  I do not DJ in RL nor do I consider myself a pro.  I know that people can go to any club they choose and if they do not like what they see or hear, they go.

Ultimately, it is up to the club owner/manager to instill the policies and working practices that staff use.  It is up to staff to work together.  Some are better than others.  I am lucky that when I DJ I have one or two staff that really chat up the patrons and have fun with me.  If I did not like what I do I would stop.

Bronxcheer wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

Bronxcheer wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Actually your answer is just as stupid, if that's what you really feel about the previous post.

Some sim owners DO rent the streams themselves and therefore, paying the fees falls on their shoulders, as they take responsibility for what goes over the airwaves they are temporarily renting. It doesn't matter who they allow to "borrow" the stream, they are still very much responsible for what gets sent through.

Much in the same that a radio station in rl must pay the proper fees, rather than each individual host/DJ.

This is part of the reason why shoutcast actually has rules(aside from ones they are legally bound to have) one must abide by in order to stream through them. That's another legality most don't follow either, though, an entirely different rant, though related.

"The broacaster pays pays for the rights."  Do I have to define what a broadcaster is for your stupid ass too?  If I wasn't expilicit then SIM = people receiving the stream.

link = peoples client/viewer able to connect to the stream transmission..they don't link to a sim transmission to hear the music..

when the client connects to the stream it is all client reciever and stream broadcasting..it's not the sim sending out the transmission..it's the streaming server..

i can take that link to my own parcel and drop it in my media on my land and listen to the broadcast..

it's still just gonna be my viewer connecting with my IP to their url through my viewer..

all my land gives me is power to change the channles that people can connect/link  to with their clients/recievers..

it does not make me the broadcaster..and it does not make the sim a place that is transmitting a broadcast..

it makes  me the one in control of the radio stations links in my house to transmissions out on the net that we can all connect to from our clients.. hehehehe

Absolutly I agree with you 100%. Clubs need DJs, DJs need Hosts. As for the expense it takes alot of L to have a club. DJs and hosts help bring in people. People bring more people if they like the place. Clubs come and go because alot of owners have high hopes. They start out big emplamenting big ideas from the start. For instant trying to have 24/7 events right out of the gate. Dreaming big is fine, just make sure you are realistic at the same time. To end off, staff has to do their part as well. Without the right staff doing their job and bringing people in, the club goes nowhere. 

I don't frequent rock clubs, but for the type of music/dancing venues I prefer (ballroom, jazz, eclectic, etc.), for the reasons you mentioned I mainly go to small, "family type" venues.  My very first job in SL was a "Cigarette Girl" in a vintage 1940's club.  It was their version of a "hostess" since the club didn't use that title.  We had managers, bartenders, cigarette girls, and the owners who were present 99% of the time an event was scheduled (each night). 

The club rapidly developed a steady clientele of regulars.  I'm sure one of the reasons was due to the personal, friendly greetings each patron received, usually from all of us working on a given night.  I used to give women a rose when they entered for awhile.  Little, personal touches like that are so appreciated.

I'm with you; I'm not sure what exactly the larger club hosts/hostesses do except spew out canned chat to tip everyone under the sun.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I'm with you; I'm not sure what exactly the larger club hosts/hostesses do except spew out canned chat to tip everyone under the sun.

Where I DJ, the dancers and bartender act as hosts.  In addition to greeting patrons, and adding to the VIP group, they act as security, send out notices whenever the DJ changes (every two hours 24/7), and, most importantly, good hosts help keep local chat lively and fun.   And, I do not mean gesturbating.  The volume of gestures has diminished significantly since I started working there because the owner prefers local chat over gestures.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.