It happened again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Malanya wrote:

Just like they say... what happens in the forums .. should stay in the forums..

Exactly! Years ago a number of SL forumites from "the old forums" created an inworld group called "The Forum Cartel" - that included both the group as well as an inworld hangout of sorts (open to all) that still exists.  The cardinal rule was that any "forum fights" or people who didn't get along on the forums had to drop it at the Cartel inworld.  It was interesting to see fierce "forum foes" having a pleasant chat at the Cartel location.

ETA: I'm later to the party than Perrie. :matte-motes-confused:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gadget Portal wrote:

So, there I was, minding my business, working on a script, when I get this incoming IM alert.

My autoresponse goes off, and there's a long pause.

Then I get the IM. Apparently this person didn't like one of my forum posts (what else is new?), and they decided it bothered them so much, they would look me up in-world and IM me in order to tell me how furious they are and how rude I am and yadda yadda, blah blah blah.

I didn't really pay attention- I was working on a script.

But how crazy are people that they have to actually take the time to look someone up in-world, and go on a rant in IMs over a forum post?

Maybe it's my gaming background, but where I come from, general discussion nonsense and trolling never carried into the game. The two mediums didn't overlap except on realm/group recruitment forums. Why does that seem to happen here in SL?

*Just shakes my head*

You and I have had our "go-rounds" within the forums but we eventually came to a "meeting of the minds" and now, although I may not agree with them all, I rather enjoy your posts.  At no time, however, did it ever enter my mind to seek you out in world and yell at you...lol.

I think I'm going to resurrect my "Mute the World" motto for the people who should be wearing signs (as in "Here's Your Sign.")

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Malanya wrote:

Exactly! Years ago number of SL forumites from "the old forums" created an inworld group called "The Forum Cartel" - that included both the group as well as an inworld hangout of sorts (open to all) that still exists.  The cardinal rule was that any "forum fights" or people who didn't get along on the forums had to drop it at the Cartel inworld.  It was interesting to see fierce "forum foes" having a pleasant chat at the Cartel location.

:)I do remember that Czari from when I was here in sl before this avi. Many people were in that group, wonder if they still are. That was a great idea and I am sure it had success because both agreed to go there. I wonder if people that don't get along on here go there ;)

That saying I said reminded me of the commercials "what happens in Vegas, should stay in Vegas" lol

Czari Zenovka wrote:

It was interesting to see fierce "forum foes" having a pleasant chat at the Cartel location.

Or more usually bitching to their friends in IM while studiously ignoring the object of their antagonism - and occasionally taking back into inventory a sofa that their nemesis was currently sitting on.

Awe . . . or having taken the mute route, not realising when they were being talked about in front of their backs.

FairuzaB wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

It's not the first time LL has been wrong. What happens on the forums stays on the forums.
Every other online community respects that
, this one should too.

That said, there has been no personal dispute or disagreement. That would require the situation be personal. This was harassment over a non-personal forum post.

Every other online forum?  Not the ones I have used.  I have played many mmrpg's over the years from Asheron's call, EQ, WoW & LOTRO and every one of them have had **bleep** talkers that post on forums that carry over in world!   I dont think there are any rules that anyone follows.  Especially player vs player, that stuff can get nasty!   Respect and gaming does not go hand in hand, at least in my experience.  Which is too bad because sometimes it makes it hard to even want to play. 

Which is one reason I solo in MMORPGs. *Grins*

Tex Monday wrote:

Malanya wrote

Actually Ren, I would not like to be contacted by anyone on the forum for a complaint or compliment unless we have became friends. It's not the whining so much as the way of contact when there are measures to privately IM someone here in the forum. I am a private person in world and wouldn't like the forum to spill over there unless I said "please feel free to contact me in world" for such and such reason.

I have only contacted someone from the forums inworld once...and that was to compliment her on her excellent posts. We carried on a short conversation and that was it. She seemed ok with it and I apologized for disturbing her in the first place.  I would also be ok, I think, if someone contacted me to express an opinion on something I did. I think that if I didn't like it, I would respectfully tell them so and then stop talking. That's just me though...I don't think I would contact someone to tell them that I didn't like what was said here. ..although, thre are people who are on my sh*t list....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I wonder .... the blocking another user option is for on the forums.....

when you find it, Malanya, please tell me how to do it....PLEASE!!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

The block user function on these forums don't work the same as they did in the old forums.  In these forums all the block function does is to block someone from PMing another here; same as mute inworld. 

Now the old forum block function made the blocked person's posts invisible.  I really miss that function...lol.  In fact, in the olden days, if Person A quoted Person B and Person C had Person B blocked - Person C sometimes got irritated with Person A.  Good times!! :smileyvery-happy:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Tex Monday wrote:

I would also be ok, I think, if someone contacted me to express an opinion on something I did. I think that if I didn't like it, I would respectfully tell them so and then stop talking. That's just me though...I don't think I would contact someone to tell them that I didn't like what was said here. ..although, thre are people who are on my sh*t list....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Well, I know it would be okay with you since I once tapped your shoulder in world to comment on forum business and you were a peach, even when I threatened to see if I could peeve you.

Now people will be flooding you with IMs and you can blame me. But if you do blame me, I win!

;-)

Why do I have this sudden urge to go in world and IM Tex? :matte-motes-agape:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Wow, did this whole thing escalate out of control.

I just wanted to discuss the validity of taking a random (not personal or directed or 'looking for') post quoting an Internet meme and bringing it in-world.

As far as that topic of general contact inworld about forum stuff goes it seems to be more of a personal thing. Some say it's an unwritten rule. But those some only have their experience(s) to go by. I have experiences that say otherwise. It's clear other people do as well. I won't say either one of us is wrong. What I will say is that if you want contact to be on only one medium, you need to do whatever it is you feel necessary to assist others in knowing that.

What I mean is no one can read your mind. No one knows if you want all contact to/from/about the forums to remain here. You have to tell them that. You may believe it's the "norm" or "typical" or, whatever, but others may have a differing opinion. On something that really just boils down to personal preference, you cannot expect others to know your preference without any assistance from you.

I have participated in online forums, sites, games and whatever else have you probably as long as many others here. While I agree that in some places the forums, boards, groups, associated with them are treated as a totally different entity, this is not the case everywhere. It's not a matter of breaking netiquette. It's not a matter of disrespect. It's not a matter of bad form. None of these things apply when it comes to personal preferences, like this. There is no right or wrong answer. I'm not talking about the particular message received, either, just general contact.

You found it bad form to be contacted about forum stuff, inworld. Others might not be bothered at all. I get it all the time from people. If I'm busy, or just don't want to discuss, I just don't answer the IM. For me, it's simple and a non-issue. I can pretty easily ignore things, most days. For you, it might not be a non-issue. You still can't expect people to know this just because, though.

I shouldn't have to say this, but, although a reply to Gadget, some yous and whatnot are pretty general as they apply to most people.

Malanya wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Malanya wrote:

Exactly! Years ago number of SL forumites from "the old forums" created an inworld group called "The Forum Cartel" - that included both the group as well as an inworld hangout of sorts (open to all) that still exists.  The cardinal rule was that any "forum fights" or people who didn't get along on the forums had to drop it at the Cartel inworld.  It was interesting to see fierce "forum foes" having a pleasant chat at the Cartel location.

:)

I do remember that Czari from when I was here in sl before this avi. Many people were in that group, wonder if they still are. That was a great idea and I am sure it had success because both agreed to go there. I wonder if people that don't get along on here go there
;)

That saying I said reminded me of the commercials "what happens in Vegas, should stay in Vegas" lol

I keep meaning to drop by the Cartel. (Now you have me wondering who your former AV was. *Grins*)

A friend told me that some of the old regulars still go there - even those who now post on "the other" forum.

And now a "Blast From the Past" - My former partner and I dancing at the Forum Cartel in 2007.  WOW!!!  My look has sure changed!!!!

Sept. 2007 - Dancing at Hangout 2.jpg

Awe Thor wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

It was interesting to see fierce "forum foes" having a pleasant chat at the Cartel location.

Or more usually bitching to their friends in IM while studiously ignoring the object of their antagonism - and occasionally taking back into inventory a sofa that their nemesis was currently sitting on.

Awe . . . or having taken the mute route, not realising when they were being talked about in front of their backs.

Those privileges were only afforded to "special" people. ;)

Well, I know it would be okay with you since I once tapped your shoulder in world to comment on forum business and you were a peach, even when I threatened to see if I could peeve you.

Now people will be flooding you with IMs and you can blame me. But if you do blame me, I win!

;-)

Bring it on, hon. I'll just blame it on Maddy....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Tex Monday wrote:

;-)

Bring it on, hon. I'll just blame it on Maddy....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Then Maddy will blame it on Snugs and we'll be back to the beginning. ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

And now a "Blast From the Past" - My former partner and I dancing at the Forum Cartel in 2007.  WOW!!!  My look has sure changed!!!!

Once a Red Head, Always a Red Head.   
;)

Well yes, that part never changes.  Come to think about it, I preferred to dress as I do now back then as well but my partner....well....he preferred a different look. 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Malanya wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Malanya wrote:

:)

I do remember that Czari from when I was here in sl before this avi. Many people were in that group, wonder if they still are. That was a great idea and I am sure it had success because both agreed to go there. I wonder if people that don't get along on here go there
;)

I keep meaning to drop by the Cartel.
(Now you have me wondering who your former AV was. *Grins*)

A friend told me that some of the old regulars still go there - even those who now post on "the other" forum.

Haha.. I may never tell. I do recall clearly some of the "issues" with certain posters but didn't know it grew to a larger group when I came back. I had to leave for rl reasons with an ill family member and lack of time. I came back when that situation changed. I couldn't remember a certain detail of my old account to be able to sign in though I will say LL was very patient and did try and help me recover the account.

Sometimes a blast from the past brings back a whole slew of fun memories ;)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Once a Red Head, Always a Red Head.   
;)

Well yes, that part never changes.  Come to think about it, I preferred to dress as I do now back then as well but my partner....well....he preferred a different look. 

I have only two photos of Maddy Marbach, one from day two in SL, and one from the FC Hangout (pinched from Mo's Flickr gallery), where I tended bar three years ago, until the patrons got fed up with my hot cuisine, and having their bums pinched (that's Ghosty I'm eyeing)...

Maddy Marbach.jpg

I have only two photos of Maddy Marbach, one from day two in SL, and one from the FC Hangout (pinched from Mo's Flickr gallery), where I tended bar three years ago, until the patrons got fed up with my hot cuisine, and having their bums pinched (that's Ghosty I'm eyeing)...

Maddy Marbach.jpg

:smileyhappy:

I think the forum cartel group is the only group i have never left and never would leave..

i didn't go to the hangout a lot ..but i always liked going in the group chat..it still pops up pretty often when i am in world..

i remember the shopping trips that would be open to everyone in the forums to join and go shopping with the group..and the parties..like the death of the forums party..when the first forums died..

that was a fun party hehehe

things like that were a great way for new people to the forums and to sl to get a good look at sl and meet new friends..

i used to crack up when people would call the cartel a griefer group lol..when it is the farthest thing from it..it was open hands to most anyone..

the hangout and the group was always open to anyone that needed help or needed a place to change or didn't know where to go when they first got to sl..as well as just anyone looking to find friends..

i miss a lot of the people in it..and it's always a pleasure to see them pop back in these forums..or see them over on the other side of the street at SLU..

speaking of that..has anyone seen or heard from Chris?i don't think i have seen him pop up in the group in a long long time..that or any forums..

i hope he is doing well..and wish the same for all..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

speaking of that..has anyone seen or heard from Chris?i don't think i have seen him pop up in the group in a long long time..that or any forums..

I haven't seen him in ages, and share your wishes.

Same here...how about Trout?

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Went swimming, late 2010

Remember some names, but to many new ones i`ve never heard of since the group was founded

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Went swimming, late 2010

Remember some names, but to many new ones i`ve never heard of since the group was founded

Don't  you have another post to answer? Hmmmm... :matte-motes-wink:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Went swimming, late 2010

Don't  you have another post to answer? Hmmmm... :matte-motes-wink:

I have ;)

Ok, not really but i will fill the placeholder in the next year when i get a clue of what to say lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.