Money making?

Anyrection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

The place where you saw you can mop the floors for money is called a camper. They pay VERY VERY little for the hour. Like 1l an hour. The best way to make money in game is to either get a RL job and buy lindens, sell something  that people need, or look for employment in clubs.

1L an hour? Good grtief. Haven't times changed. It used to be 2L/10 minutes, and sometimes more than that. Later, I saw it at 1L/30 minutes but 1L/1 hour? After 8 hours you have 8L? It's ridiculous if people actually camp for that.

To the OP. Camping at my store pays 2L/10 minutes but you will be thrown off if you're AFK, so it wouldn't suit you.

Anyrection wrote:

Eh... doesn't matter. I saw a place where you mop floors but all of those spots were taken. Maybe something that I can AFK? Also, I don't really want to do anything sexual. lol. Just curious on the money-making aspect of the game, really. 

1. "The making money aspect" is not about camping and being a lazy sock. Just like in real life. You won't get paid for nothing. The money you need to let your computer run an hour is 10 to 20 times more than what you get from camping. The true money-amking aspect of SL is to have a skill and be good at it. Become an excellent builder and we can talk again about money.

2. What does SL make into a game for you? I'm not a stupid NPC giving quests and neither are the people willing to pay you for something. :catfrustrated:

• Like 1

Camping has always been allowed. What's not allowed is traffic gaming, as you mentioned. So camping is not allowed on land that is set to show in search or it would inflate the traffic figures.

The camping in my store is on its own tiny parcel that isn't set to show in search, so it's perfectly above board.

Don't know of anyone that will pay you to be AFK.  Most camping places are set up to eject you from the camper if you go AFK.  Your pixels alone have no value to a business, since camping to increase traffic is now illegal. A bot would be cheaper and more useful, always show up on time, never complain about long hours, or ditch you for a hot date.  At least a bot can issue group invites and greet and direct customers without a human driving it. 

Your best bet for a semi - steady income without a lot of skills is to work for a club for tips as a dancer or host.  However most clubs won't hire you until you are 30-60 or 90 days old and have a good looking avatar.  Any other way to earn money with no skills is going to involve long hours with extremely low pay, such as camping or a better than even chance you get nothing, such as winning a contest. 

As others suggested your best bet, without any advanced SL skill such as content creation, is to get a part time job in RL or give up something in RL and use the money you would spend to buy lindens.  Forgo that latte or going out to lunch at work once or twice a week and use the money for Lindens instead or look at buying lindens the same way you would for paying for a movie or going out in RL.  Treat it as an entertainment expense and budget for it.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

The place where you saw you can mop the floors for money is called a camper. They pay VERY VERY little for the hour. Like 1l an hour. The best way to make money in game is to either get a RL job and buy lindens, sell something  that people need, or look for employment in clubs.

1L an hour? Good grtief. Haven't times changed. It used to be 2L/10 minutes, and sometimes more than that. Later, I saw it at 1L/30 minutes but 1L/1 hour? After 8 hours you have 8L? It's ridiculous if people actually camp for that.

To the OP. Camping at my store pays 2L/10 minutes but you will be thrown off if you're AFK, so it wouldn't suit you.

Pay has really gone downhill - which is why I was surprised to be called out for offering much MORE than that...For instance, those coins one must find and click. After five minutes or so you get something like one thirtieth of a Linden. Not even one Linden! I mean how long would that take just to get one Linden dollar?!

I never really hear of money trees any more, either. I remember paying into a money tree (it was set up so any passerby could) and people just standing there picking it all off again. People get greedy - they don't think maybe someone else might need that 10L also.

AFK huh,, that will get you no where fast why would any one pay a alt just to be AFK hell i do that my self ,, i dont get how ppl new to sl thinks that the money in sl grows on trees,prolly them blame camping trees ,,,we dont pay for nothing gee,, just alot easyer to rip out that c, card or bank card,, no one give money to alts thats AFK.

True, even those things that pay a fraction of a Linden after some minutes spent, often require a math test or some questions before it pays, to make sure the person is not a bot or AFK.

AFK pay was a lot more common in the old old days when way fewer people were in SL and before it became such a gimme freebie culture...which is just a fact of life now, c'est la vie.

I must have been the dumbest noob ever to enter SL, for many reasons, one being that when I discovered camping it did not occur to me I could be AFK.  I sat and watched my avi sunbathe!  I remember when it occurred to me I could just BUY Lindens instead of scraping and saving to get the 100L to start a group. Duh.

(A couple of people gave me something like 25L to help me reach my goal and I was astounded at their generosity!  It never occurred to me to stop and figure that 25L is a dime.)

Oh I forgot to mention winning contest in clubs can help you earn a few lindens...

The problem with these contests is that if you really want to win 'best in blue and holding a cake', you're tempted to NOT vote for the person who you really think is the best in blue and holding the best cake !

Pamela Galli wrote:

I must have been the dumbest noob ever to enter SL, for many reasons, one being that when I discovered camping it did not occur to me I could be AFK.  I sat and watched my avi sunbathe!  I remember when it occurred to me I could just BUY Lindens instead of scraping and saving to get the 100L to start a group. Duh.

(A couple of people gave me something like 25L to help me reach my goal and I was
astounded
at their generosity!  It never occurred to me to stop and figure that 25L is a dime.)

LOL!  I was right there with you except I did camp at some locations overnight while I slept.  I knew nothing about anything back then but my SL Partner at the time seemed to learn the ropes more quickly.  To be able to camp overnight (or long term afk) the avatar could not go into the "Away" mode which happened after a certain time of not moving or typing.  (This may be different now and/or newer viewers deal with it.)  If an avatar went "away" it was kicked off the chair.  I returned one morning to find myself sitting on the head of the avatar that took my place when I was kicked.  Wish I'd thought to get a photo of that.  How we got around that was using a very well-known "Multi" gadget that had a setting so that an avatar never entered away mode.

My two favorite camping spots was a small card shop that had one camping spot where the avatar "played a guitar."  It was off the beaten camping path so I often found that spot available.  Iirc, that spot paid something like 5L/10 min or so.  It had a max time before the avatar was kicked off regardless of no "away."  An hour I think.  I was camping there one day when the store owner arrived and said she apologized but needed to temporarily remove the camping spot but gave the the full amount of the max camping time to me and I'd only been there maybe 10 minutes.  I thought that was so nice of her.

The other fun spot was in a Star Wars sim and one camped by sitting inside a little vehicle thing that moved through a preset area.  It ejected the camper after 10 minutes but if no one else was around, I just re-entered.

The last time I ever camped, which was basically to sort inventory and figured may as well make a few linden, was on a beach in a Brazilian sim.  That was the first time that I received a notice periodically to add two numbers together or type my name or something.

Conifer Dada wrote:

Oh I forgot to mention winning contest in clubs can help you earn a few lindens...

The problem with these contests is that if you really want to win 'best in blue and holding a cake', you're tempted to NOT vote for the person who you really think is the best in blue and holding the best cake !

Or the Club Owners/Host/Dj's best friend was tp'd in at the last minute, sometimes not even dressed in theme (this actually happened where I was once) and won.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

The last time I ever camped, which was basically to sort inventory and figured may as well make a few linden, was on a beach in a Brazilian sim.  That was the first time that I received a notice periodically to add two numbers together or type my name or something.

i still do that sometimes. like if there is a camper chair that gives you a pair of shoes or something that I want and you have to camp for 30 minutes or an hour or about. then I just sit on and sort my inventory

i quite like getting paid to do my own housework (:

and listen to the radio stream. and sometimes end up chat other person on next chair doing same. perv cam other people and their profiles as well who turn up. if is interesting sim/shops then cam all the vendor boards as well just to see what is. sometimes even end up buying stuff bc i do that

Camping for clothes or shoes can be fun...Once in a great while I will do that. Well, not 'me' - but 'me.'  :)

Even the little bits do add up and it's amazing how fast bought Lindens can be spent. So, even though it's a dime in real life, somehow in the micro economy 25L does seem generous - more like 25 dollars might in real life.

If paying employees or giving camping money or donating money to other avs on a regular basis, that's pretty much one's budget shot. No more buying for oneself. 

I've gone from buying landscaping and furniture all the time to buying stuff for virtual animals. (It does give me something to do in SL at the moment until I'm on my next 'project.' A bit like a stamp collection in a way. Lol. One that eats a lot...)

So, I'm still not to the place where I splurge on my SL Barbie. But - maybe some day. Lol. Until then, camping for clothes is much appreciated - when it's found!

Maybe someone could start a topic for lists of current best camping spots?

16 wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

i still do that sometimes. like if there is a camper chair that gives you a pair of shoes or something that I want and you have to camp for 30 minutes or an hour or about. then I just sit on and sort my inventory

i quite like getting paid to do my own housework (:

and listen to the radio stream. and sometimes end up chat other person on next chair doing same. perv cam other people and their profiles as well who turn up. if is interesting sim/shops then cam all the vendor boards as well just to see what is. sometimes even end up buying stuff bc i do that

Oooooo...had almost forgotten about lucky chairs!!!  That sounds like fun.../makes note to do that soon!!!

Melita Magic wrote:

Maybe someone could start a topic for lists of current best camping spots?

We could have a "girls day" out and hit up some shops with lucky chairs and at least one of us should have our letters or a wild card come up at one of them, if not more.

I'm up for it!!

(The "we" wasn't just for Melita...16...anyone else who would like to join in.)

Pamela Galli wrote:

(A couple of people gave me something like 25L to help me reach my goal and I was
astounded
at their generosity!  It never occurred to me to stop and figure that 25L is a dime.)

LOL!  I too camped at first in SL.  I found dance pads in a club and thought how great it was to get paid to dance. They paid 10 or 20L / 15 mins, depending on how much traffic they had.  This made sense at the time because LL was still paying club owners based on their traffic.   After a few days of it though and still not being able to afford even a skin, I started to look around for other ways and discovered I could buy Lindens AND that for the price of going out to lunch at work, I could have thousands.  Within an afternoon my avi was all fixed up and had the start of a wardrobe!

So you are not alone,  There were something like 3 dozen camp/dance pads in that club and they were always filled.   You had to wait for someone to leave and be the first to click to get a spot. At the time there were only a few thousand accounts too.  So, probably half the newbs at any given time were in that club or others that offered the same deal.

I've camped in my time too - never out of necessity - always out of 'it's better than just standing around doing nothing'.

In one place, I was camping on a pad that paid 1L every 5 minutes, when the sim went down. It actually paid every 5 minutes instead of building up the amount it would pay when I got off. From then on it kept paying me every 5 minutes and no matter what I did, I couldn't stop it from paying me. Later, I logged out and went to bed. When I logged in the next day I found that it had been paying me all through the night, and it was still paying me every 5 minutes. It stopped paying later that day when the sim got back to normal. That was the best camping spot I ever found :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.