Second Life addiction is a very real problem. This is my story.

AnnaIvanovna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Addiction means someone is pursuing something pathological -- the pursuit is not good for them as it's diminishing the quality of their life. This can happen via the addiction taking away time that should be spent on other activities in order to have a more healthy, balanced life.

It can be really hard to know when one is doing this!

And yes, many tend to judge others as doing something addictive when they don't understand  the activity or like what the so-called addicted person is doing.

if you want to be great  you have to tip the balance , or you will be doing it like every one else , you become great becouse you did it in ways no one else has and that means you have to give up some thing to do others , i wish life was fair but that is how it works 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vvvRavenvvv said:

if you want to be great  you have to tip the balance , or you will be doing it like every one else , you become great becouse you did it in ways no one else has and that means you have to give up some thing to do others , i wish life was fair but that is how it works 

Yes it's a choice one makes in order to achieve a goal that's worthwhile to them, so I wouldn't call that addictive even if other worthwhile activities have to take a back seat for awhile.

• Like 1

But, to complicate things, you can pursue something in an addictive manner because you don't want to face other parts of life that are difficult, things you really should be dealing with, yet still achieve a worthwhile goal while being addicted to something.  lol

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But, to complicate things, you can pursue something in an addictive manner because you don't want to face other parts of life

why should they anyways ? not every aspect of life should be faced , some are not even worthy of the waste of time 

and the argument  that such thing is bad or that this addictive and prevents you from doing other things is silly 

world champion of snooker was invited to a panel to talk about video game addiction he said '' i am addicted to snooker  i played it for days and hours i skipped social events to play it at the bar , it was effecting my life '' he is the world champion now i cant stress that enough as an argument against him 

pilots today are not allowed to set foot inside a real aircraft of some types before they clock in hours of simulation which is technically them playing a video game of flying the same aircraft made with every thing in mind and you can buy it for 10 dollars and install  it on your normal computer today 

and finally the internet is the biggest wealth of information and its the most open market for business in the history of humanity 

1+2+3 = you are gonna want to spend a ton load of time here bro 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, vvvRavenvvv said:
23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But, to complicate things, you can pursue something in an addictive manner because you don't want to face other parts of life

why should they anyways ? not every aspect of life should be faced , some are not even worthy of the waste of time 

True, not every aspect of life needs to be faced, but I'm referring here to other parts of life that one should be facing in order to be healthy.

For example, your health can go downhill if you don't make time for exercising. Or what if you eat junk food all the time because you don't want to spend the time to cook.  Or what if you don't spend the time on your kids and they grow up feeling neglected.

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

, your health can go downhill if you don't make time for exercising. Or what if you eat junk food all the time because you don't want to spend the time to cook. 

you have understand those are unhealthy life choices they are not related to powering your PC and playing a game or doing some thing in the virtual world regardless of what it is or for how long , people do that even when they study for exams , people do that when they are depressed and unmotivated 
if anything video games teaches you motivation and determination and you need your cognitive abilities to play good , while virtual space could be a great place to vent out nd reclaim your self from depression and social pressure 
which means its not an argument against the topic

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

, your health can go downhill if you don't make time for exercising. Or what if you eat junk food all the time because you don't want to spend the time to cook. 

you have understand those are unhealthy life choices they are not related to powering your PC and playing a game or doing some thing in the virtual world regardless of what it i , people do that even when they study for exams 
which means its not an argument against the topic

It's only a problem if you spend so much time on any endeavor that you don't make appropriate time for such activities like cooking, exercising, or taking care of your kids.

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's only a problem if you spend so much time on any endeavor that you don't make appropriate time for such activities like cooking, exercising, or taking care of your kids.

yea but again that is does not relate to second life , its as related to the topic as not breathing 

just because its ' A THING SAID PERSON CAN DO '' does not mean it can be used as causation or as a result of the situation of  SAID PERSON 

when you study you under go the same experience , some how when you are studying EVERY ONE comes to support you , people will help give you time and space and you could even ask relatives to take care of the children while you dedicate your self  to it 
going on the virtual world to express your self like a health person should ? or to peruse a living in a creative environment ? not so much support when the learning curve is arguably the same if not harder for digital content , no support , none  

that is proof that its not an argument 

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

I agree that many are less willing to support someone in a virtual endeavor, and that they tend to apply stereotypes (especially a judgement of 'addiction') more readily to computer-related activities. But, those realities do not rule out the fact that some individuals do use virtual worlds in a destructive way.

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

ome individuals do use virtual worlds in a destructive way.

this once again goes for just about every thing in life 

you can kill your self with a spoon 
that does not make the spoon bad , the topic of spoon related deaths would not even surface

not an argument 
dumb people do dumb things , not the thing's fault  

not an argument 
dumb people do dumb things , not the thing's fault  

I never said it was the thing's fault.

Although we could talk about what types of things in life tend to be more addictive or have more addictive potential.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I never said it was the thing's fault.

you didnt but it was impaled it was how it became a topic in the first place , it was implied and then it was stated and then it became a fact without proof , which without saying should not make it a fact in the first place , and that is how it became a thing people say now a days <--- this is the history of how it came to be a topic 

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Although we could talk about what types of things in life tend to be more addictive or have more addictive potential.

addiction is not bad in it self its just a word associated to bad things 
if some one is addicted to doing good deeds would that make addiction bad ?
every thing can be twisted to serve the narrative you want it to serve if you are going to use vague words  and subjective views and arbitrary rules 

the result : not an argument ♥

Edited by vvvRavenvvv

42 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

Hmmm. I don't think I have an SL addiction. I have an on and off SL obsession though. 

That would be an interesting discussion -- the difference between obsession and addiction.

every thing can be twisted to serve the narrative you want it to serve if you are going to use vague words  and subjective views and arbitrary rules 

the result : not an argument ♥

Beam me up, Scotty!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

That would be an interesting discussion -- the difference between obsession and addiction.

black and white fallacy detected 
there is more then 2 options 
there is passion 
dedicated field 
immersive activity
an escape 
 a job 
personal space 
creative language 
and all of those are in second life , all of those are objectively true , which is more then what could be said for the first two you mentioned 

not an argument 

• Like 1

I don't know... For me, SL is just one of my hobbies.

However, I do (mostly successfully try to) limit my SL to 2 hours in the mornings and 1 in the late evenings; during the rest of the day, I work on my writing projects, browse forums, do off-line stuff, or go for a walk when the weather is nice.

And before you ask: No, I don't have a job. I'm early retired, that's why I can spend all day on my household chores, errands, the occasional doctor's visits, and my hobbies.

Edited by ThorinII

People with addictive personalities get addicted to things, sorry not an argument for getting rid of what they get addicted to when the vast majority of people don't get addicted. Doesn't matter if its drugs, sl, gambling, alcohol, knitting patterns. Addictive personality people will always find something to get addicted to. Merely an argument for locking them away for their own good.

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

People with addictive personalities get addicted to things, sorry not an argument for getting rid of what they get addicted to when the vast majority of people don't get addicted. Doesn't matter if its drugs, sl, gambling, alcohol, knitting patterns. Addictive personality people will always find something to get addicted to. Merely an argument for locking them away for their own good.

At this point in time Science says there's no such thing as "addictive personality".

https://www.bing.com/search?q=no+such+thing+as+an+addictive+personality&qs=n&form=QBLH&sp=-1&pq=no+such+thing+as+an+addictive+personality&sc=1-41&sk=&cvid=D73AB441CDF34391BA22A24D4A228A13

We need more money invested in mental health -- not prisons to lock people up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.