Getting a surname [solved]

Compodulator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Compodulator wrote:

this is an example of what i'm talking about. Since a one word name is meaningless, showing no connection to anyone else, there needs to be a system, which does NOT include a sissified "display name" idea, which, is a FURTHER insult to human rights.

the display name is a nickname, a word or several that show your connections in SL, that is true, however, the basic "resident name" as it is still called, is not a respectful option.

that is a spit in a person's face. an insult the likes of which only a few have pulled off.

I can't believe nobody answered this, other than an LOL. (LOL!!)

Compodulator, UNIICEF's, "Right to a Name and Nationality" is referring to REAL PEOPLE, not a game/virtual world/website.  The only "rights" you have here are the ones Linden Lab/Second Life gives you.  Since we can be anything we want, with many not being human, what rights would UNICEF give the non-human avatars?

Also, personally, I *hate* when people come up with "nobody can have a unique name.  Compodulator has shown that with enough time, patience and ingenuity, people can still come up with unique names.  For the past 15+ years I've been online, any website I've joined, I have managed to come up with a name that doesn't have numbers after it.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Display names would have been a nice idea if they didn`t allow unicode characters as you can`t read half of the damn names

That was another "grand" idea by Linden Lab.  By allowing Unicode characters "You can make your display name with the special characters of your own language" as they said.  This idea failed too, like the single user names did.

The users are very adept in making bad use of something if there is a possibility.

• 4 months later...

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Rhys Goode wrote:

LL should realy do a better job of making it clear that you will always have your username floating over your head, no matter what display name you choose. If you knew it soon enought, you could choose a username in the form FirstnameLastname (resident), then set your display name to Firstname Lastname.  But the sign up process gives such a poor explanation that it takes a month or two for people to realize that they are stuck with the username, and by then its too late.

I might be wrong but - I'm fairly confident that the Lindens have researched this carefully.  I think they found that
the act of explaining
the significance of picking a user name
causes many
potential residents
to abandon sign-up
.  Having them find out a month later still loses some people but not as many.  So LL does the math and we have the current situation.

I just came upon this discussion... well LL didn't see WHY people abandoned the names... Just an example:

Once I wanted to make an alt "Kylie" ... Tried 30 Last names, no they all dont sound good... ok next one: "Joan" ... none of 30 available last names goes good with it. And so on... So i've already abandoned like 60 names during sign up.

And i am sure other people have done that too.

And until 2010 when the bots were popular there were even more alts just living a couple days and then being abandoned.

But like i said LL probably dont understand that. They just see how many people sign up and how many abandon their names.

When the Single-Name thing was invented people didnt have a choice, they HAD to think of a name they liked.

I dont think they will bring last names back. I can only suggest to whoever signs up: Be creative when thinking of a name. Atleast we have the display names...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.