Getting a surname [solved]

Compodulator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It appears that my surname is resident.

Compodulator Resident.

Now... i think it's fair to say i am, in laymans terms, a goddamn human being.

I deserve a surname.

I see some people getting them somehow, while others choose to stay xxx resident.

How do I get a surname, preferably for free?

Seeing as it is going to be QUITE an insult to demand payment for the most basic of all human rights. to have a meaningful name.

Compodulator wrote:

Now... i think it's fair to say i am, in laymans terms, a goddamn human being.

Seeing as it is going to be QUITE an insult to demand payment for the most basic of all human rights. to have a meaningful name.

Human rights don't apply to avatars. Your user account only guarantees the rights the service provider allows you, within their system, and may be withdrawn at any point without warning or consent.

People with surnames are people that created their accounts at a time when surnames were required.  You only got to pick from a list of them, not  choose one you wanted.

This was changed when display names were introduced.  New accounts now have usernames that are one word.  The idea is that you use your display name to choose the name you want.  The only problem with this is that other residents can choose to see only your display name, both names, or only your user name. 

Display names are not unique, only user names are,  All scripting and log ins are done using user names.  In other words you may choose to be John Doe and change your display name to that, but there may be 100 others with the same name.  However those that have surnames as part of their user name have a unique name.  I am the only Amethyst Jetaime in SL and will always be the only one with this combination of first and last name.  There are, however, other Jetaimes in SL who are people that joined SL during the same time period in 2006 that  I did and chose that surname from the list of available names.

A while ago there was a demand from the community to bring back surnames, even if you would only have to pick from a list.  LL said they would 'look into it" and bring them back, but in the end decided not to. Unfortunately, I doubt they will change their mind about this.

surnames don't exist anymore LL got rid of them about 18-19monrhs ago in favor of usernames if you want a surname you can change your display name to include a surname for a while some of the third party sign up pages could allow you to get a last name after LL made the official sign up page user names only but if you do find a third party registration page with last names they won't work anymore 

I always doing away with a Surname.  I have really not changed my opinoin. Changing the AV name is confusing to me and I am going to call a person by their name listed as original designation not what they have above their head.  Using a user ID for names is not my choice on how I wish to be represented in-world.

If you really feel this strongly, I suggest you contact Linden Labs and express your desire.

and what good will THAT do?

After all, LL are in fact a huge corporation.

I seriously doubt they give a single **bleep** as to what the users want.

I am pondering an alternative way of convicing the lindens to comply with such a simple request. Also, I am all against having a so called "display name" as it will still show compodulator.resident underneath.

and last but not least, i've yet to see a single "contact us" button ANYWHERE, proving furthermore that the linden company does not give a **bleep** as to what the users think or want.

edit: and yet they put a sissy censorship system. how cute.

http://www.unicef.org/pon96/coname.htm

this is an example of what i'm talking about. Since a one word name is meaningless, showing no connection to anyone else, there needs to be a system, which does NOT include a sissified "display name" idea, which, is a FURTHER insult to human rights.

the display name is a nickname, a word or several that show your connections in SL, that is true, however, the basic "resident name" as it is still called, is not a respectful option.

that is a spit in a person's face. an insult the likes of which only a few have pulled off.

Compodulator, two-word names are just as meaningless as one-word names. There is no system, there is no connection.  LL is not going to change this.  There was talk that surnames might be revived but that possibility has been decided against. The best you're going to do is create a display name you like, or create an alt with a user name you like better than what you've already got.

LL should realy do a better job of making it clear that you will always have your username floating over your head, no matter what display name you choose. If you knew it soon enought, you could choose a username in the form FirstnameLastname (resident), then set your display name to Firstname Lastname.  But the sign up process gives such a poor explanation that it takes a month or two for people to realize that they are stuck with the username, and by then its too late.

As I have said before, they should allow the user name to be changed.  Not often, not, quickly, and not without cost, but still make it changeable.  After all, RL names can be changed with some delay and some cost.  Why shouldn't SL names be able to be changed, too?  Actually, if I were LL, I would allow one change for free between one and two months after signup, so people could pick a new user name after they understand what it is.

IMHO, not bringing back surnames is the dumbest thing LL ever did, and doing away with them if the first place is the second dumbest.

Because of the horrible single user names we do need the ability to have proper surnames.  The fuctionality to have a surname for new accounts is still there, it has not been taken away.  Unfortunately only some special account creating sites have this ability, it is not offered generally for all.

The new users are left only with a choice to create silly, meaningless, hard to remember user names now.  Like these:

0susie0
12345cantyoucount
123boladona123
1chucky1
1deuxx3quatre
1dh
1ismyname
1Luv1
255lol25
a7bk626
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz26
alldayidreamaboutjuicy
auroraadvertising
Barbie69Doll
beautiful1monster
bellscullenswan1987
BrikBrickBlogBlogger12345
BzzzzzzzCan
Clarinha20
CuriousAboutSL
dqqqqzzzz
emilyjaneberesford
fley456
fluturas20
fr4nkbf4s
happy2bmenomatterwhat
healingspirittransformations
idontknowwhatiamdoing
ImaIdiotLol
ImAUnicornDontWorryAboutIt
JhessyGonLOL
krnxilla
lililitenfield
lola1oh1lola
LolChickenLol
LOLfoxLOL
lolStaminkialol
MachoLOL
Milly12345678901234567890
mimi2020
missrickarda1
MrSomethingSomewhat
mssherlockholmes
MSTORIBOSSLADI1
n3oomh
nameless94
nomatterwhat2
o00o
palominha147
penny4yourthoughts
Rebecca56lol
SeppDerDepp
sometimesuknow
tatyaneconsilev
TheyCallMeLol
ThisIsWhatYouGetForNotAnswering
vvzz1232
whatapainintheass
whatcaniwrite
whatdreamsaremadeo
whatever12354
whatisthisfor
Whatsinanameanyways
whatsthisart
whattheheck26
whattodonow
WhoWhatWhereWhenWhy
XxLivewirexX
xXOlaXx
XxSkittles321xX
zanturk
zvaa
zzzzzzzzzzzz12

Compodulator wrote:

Since a one word name is meaningless, showing no connection to anyone else

One word names can be pretty meaningful;

Beyonce

Bjork

Elvis

Eminem

Madonna 

Oprah

Prince

Pele

Pen

Teller

Twiggy

Usher

Xzibit

Ziggy21

Oh and God, Jesus and Mohammad

Ziggy21 Slade wrote:

Compodulator wrote:

Since a one word name is meaningless, showing no connection to anyone else

One word names can be pretty meaningful;

The problem with one word user names in SL is that about all the meaningful good ones are not anymore available.  They are taken already.  One can spend enormous amount of time in creating an account if one tries to find a good single name not taken yet.

One of the "grand" ideas by Linden Lab was to speed up the account creation process as there would be no need to select a last name.  That failed miserably.  Maybe the Lab was thinking that user names are not at all important for avatars.  **Create what ever silly, stupid user name fast, login and create display name.**  Uff, argghh... what sillyness!

we've always had to think of just one name..then just picked from the limited list of last names back then..

the only thing they are not doing now is having to decide on a last name that matches..

i don't see it taking longer than it did before..unless they are wanting a more common name..

when i pick a name i usually think of a favorite movie or song or book or something inspiring and draw from there a name that comes to me or one that i really liked..

if it works for WoW  on the first try just about every time..it should work here heheheh

picking a name should be something that takes some longer thought than the rest of the account creation process..unless they have one in mind already..

the thing i really miss about the legacy names is the way people would match up the last name and make a little saying with the first name..those were cute hehehe

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I noticed this picture which Sarah4343 had added to the JIRA, clearly showing the problem with single word names:

Sarah-name-taken.jpg

Even though Rodvik Linden has said "as we cannot please all, we do nothing" I think this battle is not lost yet.

We just need to continue voicing our feelings about this single user name issue.  Maybe Linden Lab will come to their senses after all. 

I think LL should begin the new resident process by letting people choose their display name first and then assign them some random account ID. Everyone gets so hung up on the account ID having a last name. They also need to make the account ID less visible and the display name more prominent. Make the time between changes much longer like about 6 months and show the previous display name too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.